Author Topic: LoC #47: Fictional Tools & Weapons  (Read 46501 times)

Offline gojikranz

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 23
  • im baaaack
    • my facebook?
Re: LoC #47: Fictional Tools & Weapons
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2011, 09:27:43 AM »
props to those who voted for the bone gun from existenz.  that is a wild movie.
MICROPHONE MANIAC COMING SOON!!
Promo Featurette: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vzYR6_-UqE

Watchman

« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2011, 04:08:26 PM »
props to those who voted for the bone gun from existenz.  that is a wild movie.

Is it just me, or is Existenz the most attractive Jennifer Jason Leigh has appeared in a film?

DEATH TO ARTIFICIALITY!

DEATH TO THE DEMONESS...

Watchman

« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2011, 04:14:36 PM »
Bone Gun /w/ Teeth Bullets - Existenz
(22 points) 1 of 12 lists- Highest Ranking- #4 Mr.Katonic

I couldn't find any actual entries for this weapon, other than finding out that it's exactly as described: A pistol made of mutant animal bones. Now that's what I call resourceful!
Tyrant,
I just remembered that this is called a Gristle Gun. http://www.screenit.com/movies/1999/existenz.html#gw
Gristle Gun: A gun consisting of animal parts that shoots teeth instead of bullets is used to shoot Allegra in the shoulder and her associate in the chest. Later another one is used to shoot and kill a man.

Sorry I didn't remember this when I submitted my list!

« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 04:16:38 PM by Mr. Katonic »

Invader_quirk

« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2011, 07:22:51 PM »
So everybody's number 4 made it, pretty much.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 07:24:46 PM by Invader_quirk »

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5830
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2011, 07:24:26 PM »
Shouldn't everybody's #4 be there? Why did you pick those ones?

If you would note, Tyrant said that the list would continue tomorrow.  No one said that was the end of the #4s.

Invader_quirk

« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2011, 07:26:08 PM »

If you would note, Tyrant said that the list would continue tomorrow.  No one said that was the end of the #4s.

Except that we already moved onto number 3s. I did notice, however, where Tyrant said it was determined alphabetically.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5830
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2011, 07:27:30 PM »

Except that we already moved onto number 3s. I did notice, however, where Tyrant said it was determined alphabetically.

Then presumably, you're #4 is going to be higher on the list.  Which means mine is.  Woo!

Offline Tyrant

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 71
  • 2007-11 Satanic Humanitarian Award Winner
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2011, 08:43:37 PM »
Bone Gun /w/ Teeth Bullets - Existenz
(22 points) 1 of 12 lists- Highest Ranking- #4 Mr.Katonic

Tyrant,
I just remembered that this is called a Gristle Gun. http://www.screenit.com/movies/1999/existenz.html#gw
Gristle Gun: A gun consisting of animal parts that shoots teeth instead of bullets is used to shoot Allegra in the shoulder and her associate in the chest. Later another one is used to shoot and kill a man.

Sorry I didn't remember this when I submitted my list!

Ah, thank you! Yeah, I kept finding stuff about the movie, not so much about the gun itself.

Yup. Alphabetical works in situations where there's a tie all the way around other than the actual name of the item. Alternately, there's arming each of the list submitters with bats, putting them in a parking lot, and seeing who stays in one piece. I figure alphabetical is easier to arrange.*  ;)

*But not nearly as fun.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 999
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2011, 09:10:54 PM »

Yup. Alphabetical works in situations where there's a tie all the way around other than the actual name of the item. Alternately, there's arming each of the list submitters with bats, putting them in a parking lot, and seeing who stays in one piece. I figure alphabetical is easier to arrange.*  ;)

*But not nearly as fun.

Well well well. The Channel Four News Team.

Offline Tyrant

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2011, 11:11:24 AM »

*But not nearly as fun.

Well well well. The Channel Four News Team.

Oh please tell me at least one of you would bring a trident. Please please please.....

Offline Tyrant

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2011, 11:50:27 AM »
Samuel Colt's Revolver- Supernatural
(23 points) 1 of 12 lists - Highest Ranking - #3 Compound

"Back in 1835, when Halley's Comet was overhead, same night those men died at the Alamo, they say Samuel Colt made a gun. A special gun. He made it for a hunter. A man like us, only on horseback. Story goes, he made thirteen bullets. This hunter used the gun a half dozen times before he disappeared, the gun along with him... Somehow Daniel got his hands on it. They say... they say this gun can kill anything."

John introduces the Colt as a hunter's legend; a singular gun made by Samuel Colt in 1835 for a hunter at the time. It has supernatural powers: when used with the supernatural bullets made specially for it, the gun can kill anything. It is said to be able to kill nearly any Supernatural being. Lucifer says he is one of only five things that can't be killed by it.

It also acts as a key for the Devil's Gate in Wyoming, which opens a door to Hell.

The gun has "Non timebo mala" (I will fear no evil) engraved on it and a pentagram carved into the handle.

Offline Tyrant

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2011, 12:00:56 PM »
Orgasmatron (Orgasm Machine)- Sleeper
(23 points) 1 of 12 lists - Highest Ranking - #3 Mr.Katonic

The orgasmatron is a fictional device in the fictional future society of 2173 in the Woody Allen movie Sleeper. It is a large cylinder big enough to contain one or two people. The orgasmatron was made by decorating an elevator in the home where the movie was filmed. Once entered, it contains some (otherwise undescribed) future technology that rapidly induces orgasms. This is required, as almost all people in the Sleeper universe are impotent or frigid, although males of Italian descent are considered the least impotent of all groups.

*Note: I got zero interruption during research for all the other items on the list. The very instant I started researching this one, my Mom (who's staying with us for a while) proceeded to keep coming in the room and/or talking to me from across the hallway.

Offline Tyrant

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2011, 12:07:56 PM »
John Steed's Hat- The Avengers
(23 points) 1 of 12 lists - Highest Ranking - #3 Doctor Who?

One of Steed's trademarks was his impeccable dress, often consisting of a stroller with Bowler (or Coke) and everpresent umbrella. Steed's umbrella, with its distinctive whangee handle, was known for containing a sword, though there were other versions, including one that featured a sound recorder and one with a camera hidden under the handle for covert photography ("The Cybernauts"). (The swordstick featured in the title sequence was made by venerable English umbrella maker James Smith & Sons.) The bowler was metal plated and very hard, it could stop bullets and knock down opponents. His bowler and umbrella were in fact his favourite weapons.

Offline Tyrant

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2011, 12:15:10 PM »
Tissue Compression Eliminator- Dr.Who
(24 points) 1 of 12 lists - Highest Ranking - #2 Doctor Who?

The Tissue Compression Eliminator (or TCE) was a trademark weapon of the Master, especially so following his assumption of the appearance of the Trakenite Tremas. (DW: The Keeper of Traken)

As its name suggested, the TCE killed by drastically compressing the bodies of its targets to the point where life functions ceased. The Master liked to leave the shrunken doll-like corpses of his victims as a calling-card for the Doctor to discover.

The Master later attempted to improve the design of his weapon, but a laboratory accident resulted in both him and the aforementioned laboratory being reduced in size instead. This process did not appear to physically harm him. (DW: Planet of Fire)

The upgrade to the TCE later seemed to be perfected as on subsequent appearances targets appeared to be utterly disintegrated rather than simply killed and reduced in size.

The TCE, despite its name, was equally capable of shrinking inorganic tissue: victims' clothes were also shrunk, and on one occasion the Master demonstrated the weapon by shrinking unoccupied space-suits. The Doctor once described the method by which the Master killed as Matter Compression, which seems slightly more accurate. However, one must always bear in mind that the Master is an insane evil genius and one must not expect everything he says and does to conform to the highest standards of rationality (it also may have just been called that to sound scarier).

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 999
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2011, 12:21:51 PM »

Oh please tell me at least one of you would bring a trident. Please please please.....

Forget that.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Much cooler than a hand grenade or trident.

Sadly, I didn't recall about that weapon until just a few minutes ago.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 12:30:37 PM by Compound »