Author Topic: Write Story, win $ -WINNERS ANNOUNCED!  (Read 7320 times)

Offline esoobaC .T bocaJ

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 5
  • Jolly Snowflake day!!
Re: Write Story, win $
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2008, 08:00:34 PM »
Actually to give you a hint as to what is to come...imagine a little C3PO and Crow action. And if I can work it in maybe some Servo/R2D2/Millenium Falcon action.

but does that not violate the rules?

How would it be against the rules?

I don't know that's why I asked, but Star Wars, though a previously rifftraxed film, is not a MSTied film, but again, I don't know if Rifftrax films count in this.
flesyht etah tsum uoy ,flesyht evas oT

Offline Fortis

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1
  • I'd just as soon kiss a wookie!
    • Jacob's blog on, life, the universe...everything!
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2008, 08:04:46 PM »
...well then I should get it out in the open what my story idea is so you guys can tell me if its against the rules or not...

Mike and the Bots tag along with Luke, Han, Chewi and Leia for Star Wars episode 4...I can't remember what it was from the original thread that gave me the idea to do that.

but...if you were to limit it to just characters from MSTied movies, and Mike and the bots...I've got nothing.

You guys are like my english teachers...stifling my creativity with pointless rules... ;) :P

anais.jude

« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2008, 08:15:14 PM »
I think Fortis's idea sounds ok.

i got my idea!

Offline torgosPizza

• Administrator
  • Liked: 247
  • Heaven is nowhere, just look to the stars.
    • RiffTrax
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2008, 08:24:02 PM »
Any other questions I've not covered?

Yeah, I have a couple.

It must be of a Shipper or Slash nature

Umm.

Why?
WTF?
What's wrong with you people?

Offline Dim of the Yard

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 71
  • Do the Servo Swivel!
    • Dim's Twitter Page
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2008, 08:30:29 PM »
Because your reaction makes it worth it?

Offline torgosPizza

• Administrator
    • RiffTrax
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2008, 08:43:51 PM »

Impossible. Nothing can make writing slashfic (or fanfic in general) "worth it." (I use the term "writing" loosely.)

Offline Fortis

« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2008, 09:55:44 PM »

Impossible. Nothing can make writing slashfic (or fanfic in general) "worth it." (I use the term "writing" loosely.)

Now as a fantasy/sci-fi writer...I'm very reluctant in calling any genre "not real writing."

But I will say fanfics are horrible, especially slashfic (thankfully I never knew what that was until this thread). Fanfiction is never, ever, ever, ever good. But some people like it. Can't fault them for that...judging by how many there are on the nets, people like them a lot.

And as a side note, I thought that was what this contest was, just a joke...make an intentionally bad fanfic about mst3k...

though again...seriously? slashfic?!?! I'm going to be submitting my story, but I'm going to have to have people read tthe other entries and tell me if it is NSFF (Not Safe For Fortis), before I attempt at reading any of them. Because if I read any Slashfics with Mike...brainguy...or (shudder)...bobo. I may have to claw my eyes out.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3177
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2008, 10:56:57 PM »
In Mr. Pizza's defense, I don't think the idea would sit right with me if people were planning to write slash-fiction about anyone I work with either. :^)

Offline Fortis

« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2008, 11:40:38 PM »
In Mr. Pizza's defense, I don't think the idea would sit right with me if people were planning to write slash-fiction about anyone I work with either. :^)

I wholeheartedly agree

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2008, 04:48:21 AM »
Look this all developed because of discussions over bad fan fiction. People really need not take this so damn seriously.

Nobody is writing Fan Fic about actual people they are writing about characters.

And as a side note, I thought that was what this contest was, just a joke...make an intentionally bad fanfic about mst3k...
Bingo!

Sigh I guess I'll just cancel the thing, i thought it might be fun but there we go  :(
« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 05:13:31 AM by TripeHoundRedux »

Offline Dim of the Yard

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 71
  • Do the Servo Swivel!
    • Dim's Twitter Page
Re: Write Story, win $ Nevermind
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2008, 09:07:08 AM »
Well, let's see what we can do about all of this.

For the people who have already expressed interest in the contest, I would like it if the contest remained open for at least a little bit.  Arguments about whether fanfiction is considered real writing aside, I'm sure they've put at least some effort into their stories, and to pull the plug on them because the thread's imploded on itself... well it's just not very nice.  We can cut the deadline short so the thread doesn't get more attention than it's already gotten, but I'd like to see these guys at least finish what they've started, even if only a few people are sending in entries.

I'd also ask that the entries should be placed under Spoiler tags, with a warning above the tags as to their content.  That way, people just browsing the topic can avoid the story if they don't want to read it, and it'll be easier browsing the thread.

Again, as Tripe mentioned beforehand, the rules did not state that Slash, itself, was an absolute requirement in these entries.  He specified "Shipper and Slash" stories as a way to illustrate that romance, in general, had to involved in some way.  His wording just implied he didn't care what kind of romance it was, I thought.  And the contest was all in good fun.  I'm sorry to see it devolve to this, and I'm especially sorry that I had a hand in bringing it down to this.

Afterwards, I would like to open another topic/poll and get everybody's opinion on the idea of the contests.  I'll throw a few ideas out to you guys, and we'll decide there whether we should continue these contests in the future, whether in this form or in another form altogether, or just pull the plug on them, altogether.  I've got a few ideas for contests in the future that might sit a little better with some people in this thread, but I'd like to save this discussion for that topic, specifically, and save this thread for the current contest.

... How does that sound?

Offline torgosPizza

• Administrator
    • RiffTrax
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2008, 09:20:51 AM »
make an intentionally bad fanfic about mst3k...

How can you tell the difference? ;)

Again, as Tripe mentioned beforehand, the rules did not state that Slash, itself, was an absolute requirement in these entries. 

Sorry, I thought "It must be of a Shipper or Slash nature" made it pretty clear?

To be honest, though, fanfic is the ugly stepchild of the writing world, and should be discouraged. Just because tens of people like it, doesn't mean it's "good" - they are the Boy Bands of teh internets. Sure, lots of people like them, but they are rubbish just the same.

To me, making a fanfic of anything takes away my enjoyment of the original. It's the difference between someone building their own Crow T. Robot and making an MST3k of Godzilla, and someone making their own concept, story, characters and ideas, a la ICWXP. Some of the ideas may cross over, but at least they are being creative about it, and not blindly taking existing canon elements for the satisfaction of their own wacky desires.

Bottom line is, I guess - you can do whatever you want. Just don't make any noise, and clean up after you're done.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2008, 09:26:27 AM »
Again, as Tripe mentioned beforehand, the rules did not state that Slash, itself, was an absolute requirement in these entries. 
Sorry, I thought "It must be of a Shipper or Slash nature" made it pretty clear?

It does:

Again, as Tripe mentioned beforehand, the rules did not state that Slash, itself, was an absolute requirement in these entries.  He specified "Shipper and Slash" stories as a way to illustrate that romance, in general, had to involved in some way.  

It's not my fault that people can't seem to get past the work Slash to see that while romance is important in the entries (since the romance stories are the essence of really bad fan fic and therefore referred to by their specific terms) the actual parings involved aren't really that important.  The bad fiction is :)

To me, making a fanfic of anything takes away my enjoyment of the original. It's the difference between someone building their own Crow T. Robot and making an MST3k of Godzilla, and someone making their own concept, story, characters and ideas, a la ICWXP. Some of the ideas may cross over, but at least they are being creative about it, and not blindly taking existing canon elements for the satisfaction of their own wacky desires.

Then don't enter the competition. Nobody is forcing anyone to do anything :)

To be honest, though, fanfic is the ugly stepchild of the writing world, and should be discouraged. Just because tens of people like it, doesn't mean it's "good" - they are the Boy Bands of teh internets. Sure, lots of people like them, but they are rubbish just the same.
But nobody disagrees with you on this, just as nobody truly believes Manos is a good film (outside of the nearest booby hatch at least).

The thing is I'm going to purchase gift certs to give out as prizes which you'd think might be seen as a good thing. :)

« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 10:22:59 AM by TripeHoundRedux »

anais.jude

« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2008, 09:31:24 AM »
I don't think there is anything wrong with fanfiction. Sure, I would never pay for it, but it can be fun to read.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2008, 09:32:10 AM »
Exactly, and fun to parody as well :)