Author Topic: Sulu and Chekov together again!  (Read 5300 times)

Offline gbeenie

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 415
  • Prepare to die, obviously!
Re: Sulu and Chekov together again!
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2008, 08:59:10 AM »
I love George Takei. The man is all class.
"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere.
Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen."

- Conan O'Brien

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2008, 09:03:04 AM »
And a pleasingly sonorous voice.

Offline gbeenie

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 415
  • Prepare to die, obviously!
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2008, 09:04:12 AM »
For some reason, the thought of him saying "I do" in that velvety voice of his makes me feel all warm inside...
"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere.
Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen."

- Conan O'Brien

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2008, 09:08:23 AM »
Yep, it really is one of the most feel good stories of the last few days.

I want to know more about what the menu at the reception will be. :)

Offline Plastic Self-Cleaning Duck

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 2
  • Duck!!!
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2008, 09:29:38 AM »
Yep, it really is one of the most feel good stories of the last few days.
Except for....

(from The Guardian

Californians to vote on legalisation of gay marriage
Tuesday June 3 2008 Article history

California's legal support of same-sex marriage is to be challenged in a state-wide vote after it faced opposition from conservatives.

California's secretary of state, Debra Bowen, announced yesterday that a measure to amend the state's constitution and redefine marriage as a union "between a man and a woman" had gathered enough support to be put to voters in November.

If approved by a simple majority, the amendment would overturn a May ruling by the state's supreme court that legalised same-sex marriage.

The ruling made California the second US state, after Massachusetts, to allow gay marriage. If a ban were reintroduced in November, it would return California to the list of more than 25 states that have passed constitutional amendments banning same-sex unions.

Since the court's ruling, Californian public health officials have amended marriage license applications to read "Party A" and "Party B" instead of bride and groom. Local officials have been told to start issuing the revised licenses to same-sex couples from June 17.

Opponents of the ruling have now requested it be stayed until after the vote on November 4. If they are unsuccessful, and gay unions proceed over the next five months, it is unclear whether these unions would be nullified if the amendment passes.

Some legal scholars have said the state's supreme court might be called on again to settle this question.

The Los Angeles Times reported many opponents of same-sex marriage believed the court's May ruling was a rejection of past polls on same-sex marriage, most recently the definition of marriage as between a man and a woman, called "Proposition 22". This passed in 2000 with 61% of the vote.

The state legislature has since passed laws to legalise gay marriage that were vetoed by the governor, Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Which probably has more to do with getting the Right Wing out to the polls in California for the Presidential election....this stuff never comes up in a year without an election.    >:(

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2008, 09:33:49 AM »
The most recent polls have show Cali mosty supports Same Sex unions though.

anais.jude

« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2008, 10:01:57 AM »
Gah. Why are some people so obsessed with not allowing gay marriage. Do these people really have nothing better to the do with themselves? The vote was overturned, get over it!

And I love Takei as well. I think he is hilarious and so confident with himself. Good Guy. really happy he can finally get married to the man he loves

• Mr Bungle
  • Duck!!!
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2008, 10:13:10 AM »
Gah. Why are some people so obsessed with not allowing gay marriage. Do these people really have nothing better to the do with themselves? The vote was overturned, get over it!

And I'm sure that all the Insurance companies and other institutions that would have to cover these new spouses...plus the US Goverment having to pay Social Security death benefits to these people....has nothing to do with the fight against it.   ;)

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2008, 10:15:28 AM »
But surely the divorce lawyers can chip in some support for the legalisation :D

Offline bettertomorrowamy

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 12
  • Get this lazy Manc twat an Emmy!
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2008, 10:52:56 AM »
It just makes sense to allow gay people to marry.  Marriage is supposed to make adults become responsible members of society.  If you tell a certain group of people that they aren't allowed to be like all other adults it only hurts society as a whole.
On timeout

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2008, 10:57:00 AM »
They really should put together a pro-legalization ad featuring part of the ceremony and some footage of Takei talking about how great it is to be able to get married.

Who'd be heartless enough you vote against Mr. Sulu?

• Mr Bungle
  • Duck!!!
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2008, 11:12:59 AM »
It just makes sense to allow gay people to marry.  Marriage is supposed to make adults become responsible members of society.  If you tell a certain group of people that they aren't allowed to be like all other adults it only hurts society as a whole.
Well, see, that's the other aspect of Homophobes being against it.

Their claim for years was that being Gay was only about the sex and promiscuity.  Marriage could prove that there is actual feeling involved and ruin their grounds for persecuting them.

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 765
  • What are you gonna do??
    • Big Mean Punk Industries
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2008, 11:41:00 AM »
Why shouldn't homosexuals be allowed to screw up their lives by getting married like heterosexuals?? 

Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

Offline jewishcarpenter

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 543
  • I grow flowers so pretty they'll make you throw up
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2008, 11:51:09 AM »
Why shouldn't homosexuals be allowed to screw up their lives by getting married like heterosexuals?? 

Nope, that'll just lead somehow to people marrying snakes, trees and collies.

• Mr Bungle
  • Duck!!!
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2008, 11:54:28 AM »

Nope, that'll just lead somehow to people marrying snakes, trees and collies.
Like they do in India?  ;)