login

Author Topic: Green Lantern readers--little help here?  (Read 1550 times)

Offline Jazzman99

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked: 0
Green Lantern readers--little help here?
« on: May 18, 2008, 08:10:53 PM »
I long ago gave up on picking up monthly comics--too expensive, too difficult to store and reread--in favor of collections when I hear something is good.  Cheaper, look better on the shelves, etc.

I've been hearing good things about recent Green Lantern arcs, specifically the Sinestro Corps stuff.  I've also heard, though, that it's best read after some earlier Geoff Johns storylines.  I've looked at the HC collections in my local comic store, but since they're shrinkwrapped I can't tell what issues are in what collection.  Would someone be kind enough to list the recent GL collections and indicate what order they're best read in?

Many thanks!
Read my crime novel FIVE MILLION DOLLARS AND THE GREEN-EYED GIRL on Kindle: http://tinyurl.com/4y5jmem

Offline zoom

• Sparkles in Sunlight
Re: Green Lantern readers--little help here?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2008, 11:52:42 AM »
Geoff Johns started his GL run that brought back Hal Jordan, the GL Corps and undid the damage that Emerald Twilight had done.  The best way to start (or restart in your case I guess) would be in this order:

GL Rebirth (must read, one of my favorite stories)
GL Volume 1 No Fear
GL Volume 2 Revenge of the Green Lanterns
GL Volume 3 Wanted (which leads you to Sinestro Corps)

Best thing about Geoff's run is he basically rebooted the Corps and everything GL, so it's like a brand new start.  If you want the Green Lantern Corps comics (deals with Kyle, Guy and Kilowog as well as other rookies) they go in the order of GLC To be a Lantern, GLC Recharge and GLC Darker Shade of Green.  They aren't as essential but they're pretty good if you like GL.

Offline Junkyard

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 5
  • Steampunk Monster Hunter
    • Riff Raff Theater
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2008, 01:04:57 PM »
I read a bit of the new stuff, but the fact that Hal was brought back after a full decade of fan whining somehow felt wrong to me. Anyway, I prefer reading about the GL Corps itself. Fewer humans, more hot alien babes. Glad they brought the Corps back, in any case.

Offline Jazzman99

• Blue Beer Drinker
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2008, 04:40:43 AM »
Many thanks!
Read my crime novel FIVE MILLION DOLLARS AND THE GREEN-EYED GIRL on Kindle: http://tinyurl.com/4y5jmem