Author Topic: Who is the Most Hated Person in the History of the Animation Industry?  (Read 19046 times)

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2380
    • Ronin Fox Trax
Adult Party Cartoon, worthless...

The Adult Party Cartoon is the way Kricfalusi always wanted to do the show. Those that didn't like the aired episodes might have liked the additional cartoons included on the DVD if the network had given the show a chance.

"That's the way I always wanted to do it" -The Star Wars Special Edition defense.  Doesn't necessarily mean it's good.  Sometimes limiting an artist becomes a strength instead of a weakness.

That said, maybe someday I'll give the unaired eps a try.
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline Petey Wheatstraw

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 0
  • "SMOG INSPECTION!"
    • Mystic Studios Productions
"That's the way I always wanted to do it" -The Star Wars Special Edition defense.

George Lucas never had any talent.

But, seriously, he didn't go back and change old cartoons. He made new ones. The first episodes that aired were actually the first ones produced. Had the network waited for that season to be completed, that might have allowed for certain finicky viewers to ease into the extremeness rather than having it all pushed at them at once.
This iRiff will only be on sale for another few hours. Get it while it's cheap!

Offline Petey Wheatstraw

• "SMOG INSPECTION!"
Mike Scully - Mike Scully was the show runner for "The Simpsons" from 1997-2001. During the time he was the show runner or exectutive producer, there was an seemingly increased usage of celebrity guest voices, more reliance on slapstick and lowbrow humor, and the characters became more one-dimensional. In addition, many episodes during this period centered around Homer, who was seemingly portrayed as being very mean-spirited.

I don't know where those complaints came from. I always loved the show, despite the occasional weak episode. Some of my favorite episodes came from the eighth, ninth, tenth season.

Offline bettertomorrowamy

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 12
  • Get this lazy Manc twat an Emmy!
Mike Scully - Mike Scully was the show runner for "The Simpsons" from 1997-2001. During the time he was the show runner or exectutive producer, there was an seemingly increased usage of celebrity guest voices, more reliance on slapstick and lowbrow humor, and the characters became more one-dimensional. In addition, many episodes during this period centered around Homer, who was seemingly portrayed as being very mean-spirited.

I don't know where those complaints came from. I always loved the show, despite the occasional weak episode. Some of my favorite episodes came from the eighth, ninth, tenth season.

I agree with you there.  I'm watching a season 10 episode right now.  No damage to me so far, in fact, I feel stronger even.
On timeout

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3083
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
I'm a big fan of John K. I think he does wonderful work, but I think he does it best when he's working on a kid's show. Part of the magic of Ren and Stimpy and The Ripping Friends, and the Mighty Mouse episodes he took part in, was the way he could get away with things in a children's cartoon. He's a master of sliding things past the censors. Standards and Practices forces him to exercise subtlety, and in that subtlety, there's a lot of brilliant humor.

I like the Adult Party episodes all right, but they lost their subtlety. Instead of dropping eensy clues here and there that Ren and Stimpy might be more than just friends, the Adult Party episodes had them blatantly frolicking under the covers. There's no joke there anymore. Ren and Stimpy are lovers. It's like explaining the punchline.

Now I've gathered from interviews with John K. that he is by no means a subtle man, and as such he probably doesn't feel like he's fulfilling his vision when he's working on a kid's show, but I think he happens to work better when he's being held back.

I have a hard time hating Bob Camp. There were times when he completely missed the mark, but there were also a lot of darn good episodes produced under his watch. I enjoyed Ren and Stimpy from beginning to end, and while there was a departure in tone after the first season, there was still a lot to offer there.

As for Bakshi, I don't know his work extremely well, but I know he was an early envelope-pusher, and I respect that. He sounds awesome though. I've always loved this excerpt from an interview with John K..

O: Did you have to fight CBS to get Mighty Mouse done your way?

JK: I had no contact with the network past the first week. It was really funny, because Ralph had convinced them that we'd developed Mighty Mouse as a show and we had the rights to it, and we didn't. He was in a meeting where we were pitching all the shows that we'd developed, and they told him, "I'm sorry, we really like all these shows, but we can't buy them because they don't have any marquee value." And he blew up. He had one of his famous explosions. He spit out his cigarette at them and screamed at the top of his lungs, "Marquee value? You want fucking marquee value? You're talking to me, Ralph Bakshi, king of animation, about marquee value?" Scared the crap out of them. He's a very large guy, super-strong, and he's been known to hurl... I've seen him pick up desks and throw them across the room. And he has perfect aim, too, absolutely dead-perfect aim. You don't want to fuck with Ralph. So he starts screaming at them, and they were scared, right? They told him, "Honestly, Ralph, if you had a character that was safe, that everybody knew, we'd buy the show from you. We really want to buy one of your shows!" He goes, "I'll give you fucking marquee value!" "Well, who you got, Ralph?" "Mmmm... Mighty Mouse!" He remembered the first job he ever worked on was at Terrytoons in the mid-'50s, and just spit out "Mighty Mouse." They said, "Okay, we'll take it, just please leave the room and don't kill us!" So he gets to the car, races back to the studio, and tells his partner, "Find out who the hell owns Mighty Mouse, quick!" Then he goes over to my house, because we'd finished all our development and were just trying to figure out whether we were ever going to get a job. And he pounds on my door on Saturday morning, again at like seven in the morning, yelling, "Johnny, get out of bed! I sold Mighty Mouse, let's go! We've gotta have a studio by next week! We need 35 people and 13 scripts!" So I got on the phone and called everyone I knew who hated working on Saturday-morning cartoons, all the disgruntled artists, and raided a bunch of studios. They left in droves, and by Monday we had a studio. We wrote, like, 20 stories in a week. And the following week we started production. It was a crazy, crazy time, with everybody working 15-hour days, all sorts of personality conflicts, everybody getting in each other's way, but somehow we pulled it off and made this weird show.

Even if it's embellished, anyone with a story like that can't be all bad. :^)

Offline sarcasm_made_Easy

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 15
WHO THE F@CK went isaac baiting?

Dont we have some sort of FAQ lying around about baiting isaac yet?

Although to agree with isaac yeah rotoscoping is DEFINATELy more than tracing.  and it was made famous by the fleischers whose cartoons are often STILL amaizng and definately some of the most reconizable cartoons in american history.  hell just the other day here in korea i saw a can of popeye cola.  almost bought one but was to afraid that it might be spinach flavor. 

ps minnie the moocher is a bad ass song. 

eisner should be the most hated in my book.  thank god for pixar. 

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1269
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
In my opnion it SHOULD be Walt Disney.
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

• Compsognathus
In my opnion it SHOULD be Walt Disney

are you baiting the next walt disney (he left by the way) or did you have any REAL reasons?  just curious

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
    • Facebook
The fact he was a Nazi or at least believed in the cause seems like a valid reason to me, I did really like Freakazoid but I think cancelling it is probably less of a big deal
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

• Compsognathus
The fact he was a Nazi or at least believed in the cause seems like a valid reason to me,

in this particular case i would like to site a source because ive REALLY never heard that one. 

edit:  that was bating the next walt wasnt it?  damn it all how did i miss that. 
« Last Edit: May 16, 2008, 01:07:30 AM by sarcasm_made_Easy »

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
    • Facebook
Apologies, he was reportedly an anti-semite and took part in the communisim trials but not a Nazi.

These are the best references I can find while at work: 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walt_Disney:_Hollywood's_Dark_Prince

http://www.greenleft.org.au/2004/577/32726
« Last Edit: May 16, 2008, 01:23:30 AM by ScottH »
Scottotd on Instagram

Offline bettertomorrowamy

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 12
  • Get this lazy Manc twat an Emmy!
Apologies, he was reportedly an anti-semite and took part in the communisim trials but not a Nazi.

These are the best references I can find while at work: 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walt_Disney:_Hollywood's_Dark_Prince

http://www.greenleft.org.au/2004/577/32726

I think Scott missed The Next Walt Disney and all his iterations.  I will never forgive Mike for Nestor!
On timeout

• Compsognathus
yeah scott when you get off work ill need a little more help than one book and then a review of said book. 

Offline GregMcduck

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1
  • KOOOOONG!!1
    • Pop Arena
For the record, though, being an anti-semite was kind of the "in-thing" back then.

Not defending it, but Ghandi was a racist because it was the "in-thing," and people are able to overlook that and look at the great things he did. Not sure why it should be any different for Disney.

Offline Petey Wheatstraw

• "SMOG INSPECTION!"
From what I've read, Disney was not exactly the most racially sensitive person, but he didn't actually hate anyone, and a Jewish writer that worked on Song of the South denied that Disney was anti-Semitic.