login

Author Topic: Announcement regarding the New Voyages videos!  (Read 33051 times)

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2657
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
Re: Announcement regarding the New Voyages videos!
« Reply #60 on: May 15, 2008, 10:49:39 AM »
Any chance of getting some of the New Voyages guys to Riff on a bad Star Trek film, oh, say, like Star Trek: Nemesis, the worst of all the Trek movies. It made even less at the box office than Star Trek V if you can believe it.

What might be funny is if they were playing their Star Trek characters while riffing Nemesis or Insurrection, having Kirk and Spock making fun of Pickard and the gang might be funny if done well.  But these guys might not want to piss off the die hard fans by mocking anything Trek....  But they could make some bucks that would help them make more of their shows for Kevin and Bill to riff on, wouldn't that be a great arrangement.

Offline Flopsy T. Hamster

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #61 on: May 15, 2008, 11:32:18 AM »

What might be funny is if they were playing their Star Trek characters while riffing Nemesis or Insurrection, having Kirk and Spock making fun of Pickard and the gang might be funny if done well. 

I was thinking the same thing. Making it a NexGen movie would minimize the backdraft from their fans, since they're leaving the classic series alone. I don't know how how much money a Rifftrax would generate for them, though. It might not be enough to entice Cawley (Kirk) away from his job as an Elvis impersonator (seriously).

CORRECTION: I just realized that Cawley USED to be an Elvis impersonator, but no longer is. So I retract my barbed comment.   :-\
« Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 11:37:06 AM by AAntilles »

Offline JeffR

• Disembaudio's Squadio
« Reply #62 on: May 15, 2008, 12:18:10 PM »
Hey there all.  I'm new to the forums, but I've been downloading and talking up Rifftrax to people that I know for a while now.  Anyway, I gotta say that I was more surprised than anything to see that the Star Trek New Voyages riffs were going to have the video with them in the first place.  I kinda figured it was going to be like the Holiday Special of Star Wars.  Honestly, it doesn't surprise me that the video was taken down.

I hope this doesn't make you all think twice about doing future projects with the video synced in the future.  I know that I prefer them that way, but realize it's not always possible.  Please at least keep the shorts available in this format!  I always enjoy 'em.

Thanks!

Offline gabesword

• Disembaudio's Squadio
« Reply #63 on: May 15, 2008, 05:17:49 PM »
For what it's worth, I don't mind syncing up the riff and the original.  I do love that I don't have to do that on the public domain shorts, but one of the greatest things about Rifftrax is that they can riff on whatever the hell they feel like and just distribute their own product without any whining lawyers getting involved.

I'm looking forward to both of the New Voyages riffs.  Thanks Rifftrax.

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2383
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #64 on: May 15, 2008, 05:37:36 PM »
The only thing that's going to be annoying now apparently is getting the whole video.  From the look of it if I don't want to use a torrent this is going to be tricky.
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline gojikranz

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 23
  • im baaaack
    • my facebook?
« Reply #65 on: May 15, 2008, 07:27:48 PM »
any chance the price might drop now that there is no ondemand video.  2.99 seems a bit much for one hour and no use of rifftrax player.  1.99 not quite short not yet a movie?
MICROPHONE MANIAC COMING SOON!!
Promo Featurette: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vzYR6_-UqE

Offline bettertomorrowamy

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 12
  • Get this lazy Manc twat an Emmy!
« Reply #66 on: May 15, 2008, 07:47:46 PM »
You're nuts.
On timeout

Offline torgosPizza

• Administrator
  • Liked: 247
  • Heaven is nowhere, just look to the stars.
    • RiffTrax
« Reply #67 on: May 15, 2008, 07:49:23 PM »
any chance the price might drop now that there is no ondemand video.  2.99 seems a bit much for one hour and no use of rifftrax player.  1.99 not quite short not yet a movie?

It's two riffers, and it's definitely not a short. Sorry, no price change for the foreseeable future.

Offline stirrell

• Blue Beer Drinker
« Reply #68 on: May 16, 2008, 11:43:51 AM »
The only thing that's going to be annoying now apparently is getting the whole video.  From the look of it if I don't want to use a torrent this is going to be tricky.

I did find it as a single download (Quicktime and Windows Media) using a mirror listed at their site.

http://www.phase2trek.com/home.html

Offline FBX

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #69 on: May 16, 2008, 11:01:18 PM »
There wasn't any "pressure" and there wasn't and "folding".  We talked things over with the people at Star Trek Phase 2 and came to an understanding.  You know, the way people actually get things done in real life.

And it went a little something like this:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/XyhhFzE5O5U&amp;hl=en" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/XyhhFzE5O5U&amp;hl=en</a>

Suddenly two references from the "Crestacian in Love" episode of Futurama has made more sense.

Offline vogellied

• Disembaudio's Squadio
« Reply #70 on: May 19, 2008, 11:47:24 AM »
Downloaded in just the nick of time. Whew!

Yeah, no doubt.  I was hoping that Rifftrax would have to balls to stand up to this pressure but with each new poster complaining about the same thing over and over again I started to see the handwriting on the wall. :(

I'm of two minds about this.  On one hand it will be nice to see the end of all the whining about this when Rifftrax was doing nothing wrong in the first place.  On the other hand, I won't be purchasing any further Phase 2 rifftrax because if I'm going to have to go through the extreme pain in the ass of syncing up the videos it'll be so that I can watch them on the big screen in DVD form.  Since I have a Mac and there is no riffplayer available for it, and since Rifftrax folded to the pressure on this issue, I would have to sync by hand on my computer.

Actually they ask, quite nicely, on their site, that the video is not hosted anywhere else. I see no disclaimer about "unless you riff it". So, all the legal BS aside, theydedicated people who made this, who are paying out of pocket and offering their labor for free (though I would hope fellows riffers donate a buck or two at the least since hosting and downloads from our crew can cost theirs a pretty penny) have asked that it not be hosted ANYWHERE else. So cry about RIFFTRAX caving in, whine about how you can't work with this on your MAC (I use Linux, and the mov and mpg are not very difficult to work with but you know what they say about MAC folks....) but in the end it seems they were respecting what was always asked by the creators and is well spelled out in the FAQ on the New Voyages site (though since I only recently discovered these it is possible this was a changed based on this experience, but I highly doubt that).
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.  Camus

Offline DarthChimay

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • How can a Pope be such a hottie?
« Reply #71 on: May 19, 2008, 11:56:57 AM »
There wasn't any "pressure" and there wasn't and "folding".  We talked things over with the people at Star Trek Phase 2 and came to an understanding.  You know, the way people actually get things done in real life.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Suddenly two references from the "Crestacian in Love" episode of Futurama has made more sense.

The whole episode was a send-up of that episode of Star Trek.

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2383
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #72 on: May 19, 2008, 06:06:54 PM »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The whole episode was a send-up of that episode of Star Trek.

And one of Futurama's top achievements, which is high praise considering my very high opinion of the show.   ;D
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline CM916

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #73 on: May 26, 2008, 09:56:20 PM »
I demand that their Kirk make out with more random alien chicks and do many more things against regulation if I am to sit through another hour and six minutes with my riffs possibly out of synch.
Member, ICWXP Info Club

Offline Mass Riffer Mafia

• Sparkles in Sunlight
« Reply #74 on: May 31, 2008, 12:56:16 PM »
RiffTrax recently had an amicable phone call with James Cawley, aka "Kirk" from the New Voyages series. Mr. Cawley mentioned that he and the rest of New Voyages were flattered to have received "the RiffTrax treatment." We respect their intellectual property, and want to be able to constructively and creatively benefit both parties, without putting any of their hard work and professional relationships in jeopardy.

Therefore, we've decided to remove the VOD versions of the New Voyages tracks from the site.

We have discussed potential ways of working together with the New Voyages crew, and are looking ahead to a mutual relationship with them that benefits us all. Stay tuned.

Very good news.  Ask them if we can discuss the rifftrax on the STP2 forum now that video is gone from here..