login

Author Topic: Feedback from "World Enough and Time" Producer  (Read 9704 times)

Offline Flopsy T. Hamster

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked: 0
Re: Feedback from "World Enough and Time" Producer
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2008, 04:28:37 PM »
There are plenty of other fan productions that HAVE created other characters in the Classic Star Trek timeline, the best of these probably being Starship Exeter.

http://www.starshipexeter.com

Similar production values. Slightly worse acting. Quite imaginative. If you don't enjoy New Voyages, though, not really worth a look.

But your question is addressed in the New Voyages/Phase II FAQ:
-----------------------------
Q. Why Kirk, Spock and McCoy? Why not new characters set in the same timeline?

A. Though we touch on this in others questions in the FAQ, we thought a full explanation was in order. Star Trek: Phase II's producers/crew feel that Kirk, Spock, McCoy and the rest should be treated as "classic" characters like Willy Loman from Death of a Salesman, Gandalf from Lord of the Rings or even Hamlet, Othello or Romeo. Many actors have and can play the roles, each offering a different interpretation of said character. Though the character is the same, the interpretation of the actor is what's in question. We feel that the crew of the Enterprise has more to teach us about life and each other than has been explored to date. We also feel the new actors can add to the legend in a believable and contemporary way. The timelessness of the classic characters was recognized by JJ Abrams, as the new Star Trek movie scheduled for release in December 2008, features the classic series crew presented in a new and different way. The members of the Phase II production team prefer the classic look and feel of the original series and present our episodes as if it were the continuation of the original 5-year mission.

Offline bettertomorrowamy

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 12
  • Get this lazy Manc twat an Emmy!
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2008, 04:30:46 PM »
See that's the reason I don't want to see the new movie.  Too many fucking remakes of stuff.
On timeout

• Mr Bungle
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2008, 05:10:44 PM »
See that's the reason I don't want to see the new movie.  Too many fucking remakes of stuff.

Well, do you really -need- to see any movie?

Well not according to Maslow.
On timeout

• Mr Bungle
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2008, 05:12:48 PM »
It is a need higher up on the pyramid.
On timeout

Offline ShadowDog

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 102
  • Just call me Mr. PIE
    • Indie Movie Blog
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2008, 06:04:28 PM »

A. Though we touch on this in others questions in the FAQ, we thought a full explanation was in order. Star Trek: Phase II's producers/crew feel that Kirk, Spock, McCoy and the rest should be treated as "classic" characters like Willy Loman from Death of a Salesman, Gandalf from Lord of the Rings or even Hamlet, Othello or Romeo. Many actors have and can play the roles, each offering a different interpretation of said character. Though the character is the same, the interpretation of the actor is what's in question. We feel that the crew of the Enterprise has more to teach us about life and each other than has been explored to date. We also feel the new actors can add to the legend in a believable and contemporary way. The timelessness of the classic characters was recognized by JJ Abrams, as the new Star Trek movie scheduled for release in December 2008, features the classic series crew presented in a new and different way. The members of the Phase II production team prefer the classic look and feel of the original series and present our episodes as if it were the continuation of the original 5-year mission.

You know what?  While I think it's pretty arrogant to put Kirk, Spock, and McCoy up there with Shakesphere characters, I actually get this rationale.  This is the first reason I've ever heard for using the same characters that's made any sense to me.  I mean, you have to buy into the rationale that they're iconic characters who stand the test of time and will still be getting played by actors 100 years from now, and I don't.  But if you buy into that, this makes sense.
"Did she just say Chipping?"

Offline SabreMau

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2008, 09:56:01 PM »

You know what?  While I think it's pretty arrogant to put Kirk, Spock, and McCoy up there with Shakesphere characters, I actually get this rationale.  This is the first reason I've ever heard for using the same characters that's made any sense to me.  I mean, you have to buy into the rationale that they're iconic characters who stand the test of time and will still be getting played by actors 100 years from now, and I don't.  But if you buy into that, this makes sense.
Well, you don't really have to go quite that far. Just think of it as any play; they get different actors for the same roles all the time. Much more so for any play that gets done in high school productions. The alternate route, that Kick, Spock, and McCoy can only be played by Shatner, Nimoy, and the no-longer-with-us Kelley, seems more unnecessarily limiting.

If you look at that paragraph and condense it down to "Kirk is on the same level as Hamlet", yeah, you could raise an eyebrow or two, but those are the last references cited, with an "even" before them. They're much closer to Gandalf's level and, in probably many circles, more well-known than Willy Loman.

Offline ShadowDog

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 102
  • Just call me Mr. PIE
    • Indie Movie Blog
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2008, 10:08:12 PM »
Yeah, you're right.  It doesn't have to be taken to the extreme.  Maybe I'm crazy, but their rationale makes sense to me.

Now if only the acting hadn't sucked so badly ...
"Did she just say Chipping?"

Offline Zandrax

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 1
  • Hey hey mama said the way you move
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2008, 04:39:27 AM »
90% of liking this show is getting passed how different the characters look and how poorly it's acted. If you can get passed Kirk looking like Elvis (and without Shatnerisms), Spock looking like a gay runway model (and gesturing), McCoy not having a gravelly voice, Uhura looking half white, Scotty not looking or acting remotely Scottish, etc.... it's actually written fairly like how a Trek episode would be written. Although McCoy saying "ass" in the pilot stuck out. No way that word would have made it into the original series. He probably would have said "hide".

As for Paramount, I believe as long as the show doesn't air on TV (and isn't distributed for money), they're cool with it. Kind of like why there are so many Star Wars fan films. As long as there is no money being made, legally there isn't any real reason to take action.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2008, 04:48:55 AM by Zandrax »