Author Topic: (clap) Really good  (Read 10065 times)

Offline Imper1um

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked: 0
(clap) Really good
« on: May 09, 2008, 09:18:03 AM »
Seriously, guys. Great job at this. I mean, this thing was already really bad acting, and was utterly and completely cheese overload. I actually had to stop watching it 10 minutes in because I was laughing so hard.

I'm actually so glad that Mike wasn't there. I'm sure that if Mike was there, I would be dead with laughter. :p

Offline CM916

• Magneto-cent Member
Re: (clap) Really good
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2008, 11:59:10 AM »
I want the hurting to stop. I'd rather watch Manos again... Maybe I will.

Great job though.  :clap:
Member, ICWXP Info Club

Offline Insert Coin(s) to Continue

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 2
    • Insert Coin(s) to Continue
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2008, 01:14:35 PM »
I don't care for the new Miss Embaudio, but the riffing was pretty darn good.

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2383
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2008, 01:45:02 PM »

Yeah, forgot about that since I was watching the sync-line-less video, but wasn't fond of that either.
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline Tyrant

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 71
  • 2007-11 Satanic Humanitarian Award Winner
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2008, 02:34:44 PM »
Absolutely fantastic riffing on this one. Although Mike will always be the king riffer in my book, Kevin and Bill can definitely hold their own without him and I can't wait to hear what they pull out next. This fan-made Star Trek thing is....really, really disturbing. On a very profound level. Not even Star Wars fanatics have gone so far as to produce something like this to feed their obsession (cheapo Youtube flicks don't count). I found it to be rather insulting to the original cast, too. The actor portraying Kirk wasn't hamming it up enough, the dude playing Bones wasn't nearly grouchy enough to be believable, and they totally wrecked Mr.Spock. At least the special effects were decent. I'm glad it got torn apart. It shouldn't even exist.

The most exciting prospect of this riff is cruising the Star Trek forums in hopes that one of them has enough of a sense of humor to not ban anyone trying to spread the Rifftrax word so I can watch pissed off Trekkies complaining about it. I did much the same when the Transformers riff came out.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 988
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2008, 06:05:39 PM »
Not even Star Wars fanatics have gone so far as to produce something like this to feed their obsession (cheapo Youtube flicks don't count).

Oooh. Tyrant. I have to disagree. Speaking as someone who has been involved with both fandoms, the Star Wars folks are just as bad. Sure, there aren't people like The Commander in Star Wars land, unless you count the folks who are honestly trying to be practicing Jedi, but you do have the folks who tried to make a Star Wars musical or the people who were camping out for months  to see Episode I. And who then tried it again with Episode II.

But for the specific complaint, yeah, they're making Star Wars fan-films as well.  Heck, earlier this week, there was a Star Wars fan film festival in New York. But there are a number of high-production value Star Wars films as well. Troops, Pink Five, Broken Allegiance and many others  not to mention Star Wars related  but not directly about Star Wars stuff like Fanboys, George Lucas in Love or the big-screen Weinstein version of Fanboys. And the Star Wars folks have snagged a few of the cast members for these fan films as well. Granted, not people like Ford or Hamill, but some of the minor characters. Both camps have gone gonzo in their attempts to recreate the original. Hell, we've done it as well. I know of a half dozen home-produced MST3k episodes, not to mention the dozen or so fan-Rifftrax that have been done so far. It's a common fan thing.

Hmmm. I only wish there was someone on this board who had actually made fan films. Hmmmm......

Offline Flopsy T. Hamster

• Sparkles in Sunlight
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2008, 09:50:03 PM »
Oooh. Tyrant. I have to disagree. Speaking as someone who has been involved with both fandoms, the Star Wars folks are just as bad.

Probably the most elaborate of the Star Wars fan films is "Star Wars:Revelations". Fairly high production values, but also fairly poor acting.

These guys even went so far as to produce a two disc DVD set of their production available for download, with a complete "Making Of" documentary. You gotta respect the passion many of these fans show for their work, even if their writing and acting abilities sometimes let them down.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2644
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2008, 09:52:12 PM »
Pretty darn funny stuff, both the riffs and the video.  It is great to hear Kevin and Bill doing riffs on their own.

When I was a little kid my neighbor build the bridge of the enterprise in his basement out of cardboard, to see that taken to it's ultimate extreme is funny as hell.  OK, I'll admit I wasted more than one afternoon playing Trek....

Still don't understand why all the actors are so young, way younger than the original cast was back in the 60's.

Offline ShadowDog

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 102
  • Just call me Mr. PIE
    • Indie Movie Blog
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2008, 09:53:16 PM »
Fairly high production values, but also fairly poor acting.

Considering the horror we just saw with World Enough and Time, I'd say those two films had a lot in common.
"Did she just say Chipping?"

Offline ShadowDog

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 102
  • Just call me Mr. PIE
    • Indie Movie Blog
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2008, 10:14:15 PM »

Yeah, forgot about that since I was watching the sync-line-less video, but wasn't fond of that either.

Oh, by the way, is anyone else convinced that she was Mary Jo?  Damn it sounded like her, with her voice pitch shifted up of course.
"Did she just say Chipping?"

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2644
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2008, 10:22:07 PM »

Oh, by the way, is anyone else convinced that she was Mary Jo?  Damn it sounded like her, with her voice pitch shifted up of course.

Not convinced, but yes, I thought of Mary Jo when I heard her speak.

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2383
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2008, 10:35:20 PM »
When it comes to ST vs. SW fan films, I think people tend to give the Star Wars stuff more of a pass because the fan films that really get noticed are usually parodies like Troops...which was hilarious.  When they're serious, they're just as bad as this Trek stuff.
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline Tyrant

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 71
  • 2007-11 Satanic Humanitarian Award Winner
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2008, 10:52:22 PM »
Not even Star Wars fanatics have gone so far as to produce something like this to feed their obsession (cheapo Youtube flicks don't count).

Oooh. Tyrant. I have to disagree. Speaking as someone who has been involved with both fandoms, the Star Wars folks are just as bad. Sure, there aren't people like The Commander in Star Wars land, unless you count the folks who are honestly trying to be practicing Jedi, but you do have the folks who tried to make a Star Wars musical or the people who were camping out for months  to see Episode I. And who then tried it again with Episode II.

I stand corrected. I guess that's what I get for desperately wanting to believe that at least one of the two camps have better things to do with their time.  :P

I admit I'm a total hypocrite though. If I had the time and money, I'd totally make a kick ass TF animation project.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 988
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2008, 11:40:18 PM »

Still don't understand why all the actors are so young, way younger than the original cast was back in the 60's.

I don't understand why they didn't use a more neutral shade of lipstick for makeup.

Offline Sheik Yerbouti

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2008, 12:55:21 AM »

Not convinced, but yes, I thought of Mary Jo when I heard her speak.

Sounded like Mary Jo to me too.  Maybe this is forshadowing of another appearance? 

Loved this riff by the way, hope the video doesn't get pulled for any kind of copyright reasons.  I can just imagine the crew presenting George Takei with that Tina Turner wig he wore.  "You're paying me in cash, right?"