Author Topic: Video Quality.  (Read 6672 times)

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 755
  • What are you gonna do??
    • Big Mean Punk Industries
Video Quality.
« on: May 09, 2008, 12:51:57 AM »
I have downloaded both the mpeg2 and mp4 version and both have some flaws. The MPEG2 has noticeable stutters in the beginning of the file. I haven't watched it all the way through but I skipped around and could see the stutters elsewhere in the track. The mp4 seems to have some of the stuttering on top of intermittent artifacting. Most noticeable in the beginning of the file and again I found it elsewhere while skipping through.  I have played larger files than the mpg2 and have had no issues with the stutter and the artifacting shows up on my iPod (6thgen latest software etc) as well.

My setup:
Intel Core Duo 3.0ghz
Windows XP sp2
4gb of ram
512mb Video Card
Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

Offline Fortis

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1
  • I'd just as soon kiss a wookie!
    • Jacob's blog on, life, the universe...everything!
Re: Video Quality.
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2008, 01:34:54 AM »
I've experienced the same thing (and incedentally, I would appreciate it if you could tell me how you fix this as I'm having the same problems when I render files in Pinnacle Studio...I just can't figure out what is causing the video stutters, must be a rendering issue)...I'm glad I'm not the only one who had this problem since it made me panic and think it was my system and not pinnacle causing these problems.

Oh yeah, I don't know if this is a problem on your end or mine, but my mpg2 of the video was cut off at 44 minutes. Don't worry if you don't think it is on your end, because my internet has been screwy today. I'll try downloading it again and see if it changes.

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2008, 01:41:20 AM »
My files go all the way to the end 1:06 or so.

As far as the stutters you get on on other renders you do, in my experience you want to make sure that your computer is only doing the render. Close all other programs you don't need. No browsing on the internet while rendering etc. I am salvaging my old PC for just that reason. A box that I can render/capture video and my main PC so i can do other stuff while the video renders.
Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

Offline CHF01

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 57
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2008, 07:08:58 AM »
I have downloaded both the mpeg2 and mp4 version and both have some flaws. The MPEG2 has noticeable stutters in the beginning of the file. I haven't watched it all the way through but I skipped around and could see the stutters elsewhere in the track. The mp4 seems to have some of the stuttering on top of intermittent artifacting. Most noticeable in the beginning of the file and again I found it elsewhere while skipping through.  I have played larger files than the mpg2 and have had no issues with the stutter and the artifacting shows up on my iPod (6thgen latest software etc) as well.

My setup:
Intel Core Duo 3.0ghz
Windows XP sp2
4gb of ram
512mb Video Card

Same issue here, with the MPEG-2 file. Should this be reported to tech support?

Offline ShadowDog

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 102
  • Just call me Mr. PIE
    • Indie Movie Blog
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2008, 08:19:39 AM »
I just assumed the original crappy file that was put out by the Phase 2 guys had these flaws.  I'll never know for sure because I'll never be downloading one of these directly from those losers.
"Did she just say Chipping?"

Offline torgosPizza

• Administrator
  • Liked: 247
  • Heaven is nowhere, just look to the stars.
    • RiffTrax
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2008, 08:57:08 AM »
We watched them all, and didn't notice much of an issue. Is this "slight" stuttering or "so bad I can't watch it" stuttering?

I see what you are talking about, and that's how it looks on our original source. Especially as the shuttlecraft is approaching the Excelsior at the beginning, the motion seems a little jerky. But it's not so bad it's unwatchable, is it? Again, that's what it looks like on the 720p FLV source we went from. Perhaps one of the others doesn't have this issue.

Since the video is free we might not be able to revisit it immediately but we'll keep an eye out.

Offline ShadowDog

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 102
  • Just call me Mr. PIE
    • Indie Movie Blog
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2008, 09:02:08 AM »
It's not that bad, man.  Nowhere close to unwatchable.  I noticed it but to be honest it's not like I want to set there and watch every single frame of the film in all it's clarity anyway.  The riff is what I want and that's audio.  I don't know if I could take the ugliness of the dude who plays Spock in crystal clear Hi Def anyway.  I've never in my life seen a human head shaped like that.  He looks like the love child of ET and the Crypt Keeper.
"Did she just say Chipping?"

Offline Lemming Howard

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 178
  • God rest you Brother.
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2008, 09:08:05 AM »
First tried to download the MPEG version but only got maybe 10 minutes.  I then decided to try the DIVX version and that downloaded completely.  It played in Windows Media Player so I tried burning it to DVD using Nerovision and I just finished watching it on my TV.   I thought I would have to burn it with the DIvx player.  Oh yeah it was funny too.
And I'm worse than Hitler.

Offline torgosPizza

• Administrator
    • RiffTrax
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2008, 09:10:29 AM »
I thought I would have to burn it with the DIvx player.

Nope, our DRM-free stuff doesn't require the DivX player to burn to a watchable format. Just a DivX-compatible player like an Xbox.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3177
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2008, 10:09:20 AM »
I'm gonna hijack this thread for a sec to make my own video-related inquiry:

I'm not familiar with all the technical terms and DVD burning and such, so excuse me while I bungle through this:

Would it be possible to make the intro the same aspect ratio as the film, and make the whole file register in widescreen, so when I burn it to DVD, the file registers and burns correctly as widescreen, so I don't have to use my TV's zoom feature to fill up the picture? Am I making sense? :^)

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2008, 10:10:34 AM »
It is watchable for sure. I am just completely anal retentive and frame stutters drive me nuts. It is mostly at the beginning. The mp4 artifacts are more annoying though. The MP4 you can get of the episode doesn't have any of the stutter issues.

Offline skenderberg

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 0
    • War of the Colossal Fan Guide
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2008, 10:43:31 AM »
I watched the Divx version and had no problems.  Aside from seeing a horribly acted fan film, that is.
I thought I was Dale.

Offline Fortis

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2008, 10:44:47 AM »
It is watchable for sure. I am just completely anal retentive and frame stutters drive me nuts. It is mostly at the beginning. The mp4 artifacts are more annoying though. The MP4 you can get of the episode doesn't have any of the stutter issues.

Yeah I agree, I got through watching it once but it really is hard for some people to watch that sort of thing (especially when they are having that same problem with renders), and for the record. When I render stuff, I do it at night when nobody is on the computer and no other programs are open. There isn't any reason why it should be doing these stutters for my rendering

Offline torgosPizza

• Administrator
    • RiffTrax
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2008, 10:46:49 AM »
Am I making sense? :^)

Yeah the problem was a timing issue, the sources are all kinds of weird and mismatched. We'll have this worked out for the next one, though.

There isn't any reason why it should be doing these stutters for my rendering

Again, these exact issues were present in our source. The video is essentially free, so you can always choose to just download the mp3 and sync it the old fashioned way :)

Offline Fortis

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2008, 11:36:37 AM »
There isn't any reason why it should be doing these stutters for my rendering

Again, these exact issues were present in our source. The video is essentially free, so you can always choose to just download the mp3 and sync it the old fashioned way :)
[/quote]

Well I think my rendering would be much worse than you guy's almost not noticable stutters in the video. Don't worry, I'm appreciating the mpg2, and wmv for my zune.

But thanks for the ability to be able to do that if I wanted to.  :)