login

Author Topic: Now available!  (Read 13957 times)

MontyServo

Re: Now available!
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2008, 10:10:35 AM »
Everybody should try to download this while they still can. 

From the FAQ at the website for the Star Trek Phase II web series:

Q. What stations are airing your show?
A. Due to copyrights, there are no stations broadcasting our episodes. Star Trek: Phase II is a web-series. The episodes are available for FREE via the Internet. IF YOU FIND OUR EPISODES FOR SALE or RENT ANYWHERE, WHAT YOU HAVE FOUND IS AN ILLEGAL COPY. We cannot and do not make any money from the episodes. We ask you to inform us if you find anyone selling our work. Please CONTACT Public Relations to report what you've found.

I wonder how long the video version of this Rifftrax will be available?  Which would be too bad, because it looks like the only way to download a copy of the unriffed episode from the official site is via torrent links.  No direct downloads from the website (of that episode at least).

Not trying to be a party pooper here, I just want everyone to be aware that they should download this ASAP, if not sooner.

Or maybe Rifftrax got some sort of double super secret permission to release this for sale?   ???   ???   ???
« Last Edit: May 09, 2008, 10:14:26 AM by MontyServo »

Offline callmeMRTIBBS

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 0
    • Prototype-Designs
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2008, 10:29:59 AM »
I think the fact that they make it clear you are buying the riff- not the video.  They very well may have gotten permission.  But since they make the link readily available to download the unriffed version...I would say there is no danger here.

Offline bettertomorrowamy

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 12
  • Get this lazy Manc twat an Emmy!
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2008, 10:42:31 AM »
...still waiting for my "presents" to download...kept timing out on me...
On timeout

MontyServo

« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2008, 10:45:02 AM »
I don't think they are gonna sue anybody.

In fact, if they checked out Rifftrax, they would see that they are in good company over here as far as riff targets are concerned.  They should be honored that they were chosen.

At worst, they may ask for the mixed version to be removed and have only the MP3 version for sale, with the unriffed video made available as a free download for those that need it.

But these are Trek geeks, so who knows how they would react.

Offline Tony Farms AKA Puma Man

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 53
  • Anus Insurance?
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2008, 11:43:44 AM »
Is that Jonny Greenwood playing Spock?  ???

Offline CM916

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2008, 12:01:09 PM »
I think their Chekov is slightly better at being Russian than the original. Slightly.
Member, ICWXP Info Club

Offline CHF01

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 57
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2008, 12:28:03 PM »
I think the fact that they make it clear you are buying the riff- not the video.  They very well may have gotten permission.  But since they make the link readily available to download the unriffed version...I would say there is no danger here.

"We cannot and do not make any money from the episodes. We ask you to inform us if you find anyone selling our work." Actually, you would be buying both the riff AND the movie when you place your order.

• Mr Bungle
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2008, 12:30:34 PM »
Report Rifftrax to them then.
On timeout

Offline CM916

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2008, 12:33:25 PM »
Rifftrax kind of mentions in its own disclaimer that there is no additional charge.
Member, ICWXP Info Club

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2383
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2008, 12:34:16 PM »

"We cannot and do not make any money from the episodes. We ask you to inform us if you find anyone selling our work." Actually, you would be buying both the riff AND the movie when you place your order.

I don't see it as buying the movie as much as buying the convenience of syncing.  If something is free, and made available for free via a link on the same page I'm adding the riff to my shopping cart, then I think it's clear that all I'm paying for is the Rifftrax product, not the movie.
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline callmeMRTIBBS

• Disembaudio's Squadio
    • Prototype-Designs
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2008, 12:47:40 PM »
You are paying the same amount as you would for other riffs.  They provide the link to the original work and tell you, that you can get it there. 

I think its very clear that they aren't selling the video.  If they were charging more than normal- then okay...you would have a case.

Offline ShadowDog

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 102
  • Just call me Mr. PIE
    • Indie Movie Blog
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2008, 02:54:16 PM »
Yeah, it's obvious we're just buying the riff, not the movie.  They have no case.

Doesn't mean they won't sue and drag this into court for a year though.  Download it quick!!!
"Did she just say Chipping?"

• Mr Bungle
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2008, 02:56:17 PM »
If anybody would get mad it would be Paramount since they are allowing these fan episodes even though they impose on their copyright to Star Trek.
On timeout

Offline amityisland

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2008, 03:13:18 PM »
Now if you'll excuse me, I need to start building a replica of the STNG bridge in my living room. My dream of a filmed riffing of "Time Speeder" will come to fruition. Oh yes. It will. Heh, heh, heh...

LOL! Oh Stephen Ratliff...I wonder where he is now?

Offline ShadowDog

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 102
  • Just call me Mr. PIE
    • Indie Movie Blog
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2008, 03:50:33 PM »
Dammit, sounds like I missed something cool.
"Did she just say Chipping?"