Author Topic: MST3K The Movie: Tom Servo Swears?!  (Read 9450 times)

Offline Plastic Self-Cleaning Duck

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 2
  • Duck!!!
Re: MST3K The Movie: Tom Servo Swears?!
« Reply #45 on: April 01, 2008, 02:59:58 PM »
I can't remember the name of the episode but there's one MST3K show where there are several focus group skits, Pearl being the questioner, with stupid questions being asked of stupid people...  Those skits are supposedly based on their experience with Hollywood messing with their movie...

The Incredible Melting Man - and it was Clayton doing the questioning and at the end Pearl comes in (rubbing noses with the camera again) saying that people didn't like the character of Cruella DeVille and even though she wasn't in the movie those numbers have to come down.

Can't remember where I read this but I remember Bridget Jones quoted in an article about the movie that they had to change things in reaction to "Comment Cards" that said they didn't "get" the movie and the "i"'s were dotted with hearts - and Jones said something like "These are the kinds of people we make fun of!  She's not supposed to get it!  But Grammacy didn't understand that."

No, This Island Earth is not a bad movie (for the time).  In fact, at the beginning of MST3K: TM Forrester calls it "the Universal Classic...".  And yet this was supposed to be the worst movie ever made?   It was used because it was the only color Sci-Fi movie that Universal owned that The Brains thought they could do something with - no matter the quality of the film.

Everything considered, they should have made the film as an independent project.  But they thought if they went to Hollywood there would be money, distribution and publicity.  Instead, they still had to make it on the cheap, they got the same kind of distribution any one of us could get with a copy of our film under our arm and a bus ticket in our pocket and almost no publicity - plus constant interference by Suits with no sense of humor.

Oh...and for all their work they don't own the film. Universal does.

GLaDOS

« Reply #46 on: April 15, 2008, 02:31:57 PM »
I try my best never to swear too hardcore in my posts or in public. Even when I say the F word I try to say Eff or effing or f'ing when I write it out and when I talk in real life i'll say something like "What the effing eff is going the effing eff on here?!". Anyways, I try not to say shit more than twice a day. It's just like South Park says, freedom of speech is great but we should use swear words in those rare occasions, besides, using a swear too much takes away from its impact.

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2379
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #47 on: April 15, 2008, 03:48:13 PM »
I go through phases where I'll swear a lot, and other phases where I'll barely swear at all and might actually just stop in mid-sentence when I feel a curse word coming.  Lately though, since the new season of Battlestar Gallactica has started, I've started saying "frack" a lot.
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline Droid

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 0
  • Metal Head Extraordinaire
« Reply #48 on: April 16, 2008, 07:36:36 PM »
I've started saying "frack" a lot.

Don't you mean 'frick'?

Offline BBQ Platypus

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 59
  • SURF'S UP, SPACE PONIES!
« Reply #49 on: April 16, 2008, 08:31:23 PM »

Don't you mean 'frick'?

No, he means "frag."  Everybody fraggin' knows that.  Everybody who's been exposed to Lobo, that is.
Correction: the coat hanger should be upside down.

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #50 on: April 17, 2008, 06:10:45 AM »

Don't you mean 'frick'?

No, he means "frag."  Everybody fraggin' knows that.  Everybody who's been exposed to Lobo, that is.

Nope and nope

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline GalvaTRION

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 4
  • Damn you, Bay.
« Reply #51 on: April 17, 2008, 05:19:49 PM »
Lobo is cooler.

For the record.

Offline CM916

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #52 on: April 17, 2008, 06:33:42 PM »
I switch it on and off at will but when it is on, I curse up a storm. I chalk it up to being from New Jersey. I never do it in a professional setting, around my parents, or on a forum for the most part. Anyway, the only time I've ever been shocked by a curse word is when one of my professors said "you fucked up" in a private meeting. Never thought I'd hear that guy say a curse. Then again, I have another professor in the same department who is from Italy and curses all the time during his lectures and it's usually comical.

Oh crap, I said "fuck" on a forum didn't I? I didn't even know I could, awesome.  :grr:  8)
Member, ICWXP Info Club

Offline starfighter

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #53 on: April 19, 2008, 11:40:27 PM »
  Or you could say "Fug it!"  if you read The Naked and the Dead by Norman Mailer.  I think there was even a band that used
that, The Fugs, but that's ancient history, the 60s!
   Whoever said that before, I think you have an excellent idea about them making a Rifftrax for the uncut "This Island
Earth" if it's readily available on DVD.
   It won't happen but I wish the new release could contain those deleted scenes that they showed us at the 1996
convention. Especially Tom and Crow's rescue of Mike when the SOL is losing air.
    Does Tom say the line about the "shithole planet" or was that Crow?

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #54 on: April 19, 2008, 11:45:33 PM »
    Does Tom say the line about the "shithole planet" or was that Crow?

If I remember right, there were three shit lines, all of them Tom's.

"What kind of shithole planet is this"
"Whop-de-shit"
and
"I could have sworn we parked on level three right next to-oh shit"

gum.co/RFTthing

Kzinistzerg

« Reply #55 on: April 20, 2008, 07:08:48 PM »
Hmm. I picked out the swears as not-typical... But there was that story someone's already explained about  that.

As for me, I tend to avoid swearing; I like coming up with nice, creative insults, long strings of adjectives that really describe a person... and his ancestry, and possibly his personal habits. I've been inspired by  Red Dwarf on this issue quite a lot,but rifftrax has helped. Swears, I think, are overused.

Offline Petey Wheatstraw

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • "SMOG INSPECTION!"
    • Mystic Studios Productions
« Reply #56 on: April 20, 2008, 07:19:52 PM »
I just think if they were going to put a swear word in the movie, why not when Forrester knocks out the lights at the beginning....

Instead he says "Poopie"?

I mean, shouldn't the Bad Guy be the one who swears?

That was the joke. It's much funnier to have an "evil" guy say "poopie" and "darn it!" rather than "shit" and "fuck it!"
This iRiff will only be on sale for another few hours. Get it while it's cheap!

Offline Cosmic Muse

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Dragon of Light
« Reply #57 on: April 21, 2008, 09:51:03 AM »
Wasn't the rumor that they added the swears so they would get a more restrictive rating because the suits said if it was rated "G" no one would see it?

Yet the suits axed their Scrotor (sp?) sketches!?  ???

I've heard rumblings for awhile that there was a lot of pressure to make the concept "more accessible" to the new or casual viewer.........

Funny how they'd say that, rumor wise anyway, but yet most of the Gramercy  marketing wizards decided to promote that stink bomb Barb Wire starring the ever so untalented Pamela Anderson. I'm telling you MST3K: The Movie would have made them more money considering the fanbase but as we all know most corporate suits in the movie industry are idiots. (That would explain like crapfests such as Bayformers gets made.)  It was their loss of course and what a loss it was.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2008, 10:16:49 AM by Lady Symbiote »
Being a genocidal maniac is not one of my turn ons.

Is it weird to hear the Safety Dance in my head watching Game of Thrones?

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #58 on: April 21, 2008, 05:55:07 PM »
Funny how they'd say that, rumor wise anyway, but yet most of the Gramercy  marketing wizards decided to promote that stink bomb Barb Wire starring the ever so untalented Pamela Anderson. I'm telling you MST3K: The Movie would have made them more money considering the fanbase but as we all know most corporate suits in the movie industry are idiots. (That would explain like crapfests such as Bayformers gets made.)  It was their loss of course and what a loss it was.

Unfortunately to the world of marketing, boobs>quality...even horrendous looking fake boobs.

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline skenderberg

• Not Hurt By Pain
    • War of the Colossal Fan Guide
« Reply #59 on: May 07, 2008, 03:26:04 PM »
Unfortunately to the world of marketing, boobs=$$$$...even horrendous looking fake boobs.
Fixed.  For a studio executive, quality is only of interest when it leads to money.

Back to the topic at hand, I'm with the people who prefer that profanity to be used sparingly, if at all.  Rifftrax/MST3K/etc.'s appeal is that much of the humor relies on the viewer's intelligence and education.  Going overboard with it pushes us back into shock value territory.
I thought I was Dale.