Author Topic: Romantic Comedy and Relationships  (Read 676 times)

Offline Fuzzy Necromancer

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 11
Romantic Comedy and Relationships
« on: April 17, 2008, 05:47:17 PM »
Am I the only person who thinks that romantic comedies send bad messages about relationships and gender roles?

What have I learned from the vast majority of romantic comedies I've seen?

*If a man and a woman shortly after they meet declare undying hatred for each other, they will wind up falling in love.
*The same applies if they claim to be just friends.
*If a girl claims to hate a guy who is attracted to her, and expresses hostile feelings towards him by shouting insults, throwing things, etc., that means she really just likes him but doesn't realize it.
*Acts of excessive violence against men are funny, but acts of excessive violence against women are either tragic crimes or movies on the Lifetime channel.
*The threat of legal action is no reason to stop pursuing the person you love.
*The primary virtue in a guy is that he is a "nice guy", which means crappy stuff happens to him, he tries hard, he doesn't accept rejections, and he's kind of dorky looking. This is more important than actually being attractive, having similar interests, being competent, or having any other redeeming characteristic. If a girl fails to go for a "nice guy", she is being shallow, but it's perfectly acceptable that the girl the nice guy goes after is always attractive by conventional standards.
*Guys, if a girl knees you in a groin, that means she likes you. You just have to keep trying, and break into her room if necessary.
*Girls, the best way to show a man that you're interested in him while treating him with the respect due an intelligent and sensative human being is to taunt him, assault him, and pour drinks or plates of pasta with red sauce over his head. If he loses interest after this treatment, that just means he wasn't good enough for you anyway.

What do you think sirs?
« Last Edit: April 17, 2008, 05:49:14 PM by Fuzzy Necromancer »
Love doesn't hurt. It kills.

"Where there's smoke, there's a smoke-making machine."