Author Topic: I Just Finished Watching...  (Read 174695 times)

Offline iv3rdawG

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 104
  • Mr. K. Dilkington
    • Controlled Obsession
Re: I Just Finished Watching...
« Reply #525 on: August 04, 2009, 01:20:56 PM »
I watched First Spaceship on Venus (211) yesterday. That really was a horrible film.

"At least we have our Ewok outfits."

Controlled Obsession (My website - Movie, TV, Video Games)

Offline Nunyerbiz

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 953
« Reply #526 on: August 06, 2009, 08:23:47 AM »
614 - San Fransisco International

This is a tough one to wrap your head around... One of those episodes that provides lots of  big belly laughs over certain stretches... with the "kid that steals an airplane" being one of the most hilariously riffed subplots they ever did... But I found that things were fairly average-to-below average otherwise. This has the dull early 70s made-for-TV stamp all over it... and especially early on, things are a bit tough to sit through. A lot of pop-culture riffs revolving around the 1970s (and the roster of 1970s character actors) will probably have little impact for anybody under 40. Still, those times that I was almost tearing up with laughter managed to offset the low points.

B

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 2911
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #527 on: August 06, 2009, 08:50:11 AM »
Tried watching Aztec Mummy, couldn't get through it, will have to try again some other day.  Was still in the mood for a Joel episode so went to Girl in Lovers Lane, much better.  Really stupid movie, love the bots coming up with their own endings.  How weird seeing Jack Elam younger, creepy, and not in a western...

Offline dangfish

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #528 on: August 06, 2009, 04:00:40 PM »
Tried watching Aztec Mummy, couldn't get through it, will have to try again some other day. 

I have the same problem with pretty much every season one episode.  I try and try and try some more but I just can't seem to enjoy the first season. It's just so damn rough compared to the rest of the series, like a work in progress.  And the whole 'appreciating it for nostalgic reasons' thing is fine and all, but it doesn't help with the lack of laughter.  I watch MST to laugh at the riffs.  Period. 

I still force myself to attempt a season one episode every year, but it's getting harder and harder to even keep that commitment.  I would be fine if shout factory just left those episodes alone.

Offline dalem

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 7
« Reply #529 on: August 06, 2009, 04:46:06 PM »
614 - San Fransisco International

This is a tough one to wrap your head around... One of those episodes that provides lots of  big belly laughs over certain stretches... with the "kid that steals an airplane" being one of the most hilariously riffed subplots they ever did... But I found that things were fairly average-to-below average otherwise. This has the dull early 70s made-for-TV stamp all over it... and especially early on, things are a bit tough to sit through. A lot of pop-culture riffs revolving around the 1970s (and the roster of 1970s character actors) will probably have little impact for anybody under 40. Still, those times that I was almost tearing up with laughter managed to offset the low points.

B

One of my top five.  The Pernell slams, the TV movie refs, the TV hippie, the complete ugliness of everything and everyone 1970...

Definitely Top five for me.

-dale

Offline jfayers

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #530 on: August 06, 2009, 10:21:06 PM »
The Touch of Satan

"This is where the fish lives."
"You're kind of an idiot aren't you."
"Stay here for a few days by this log and don't move"
"Why are you sanding my shoulder?"
"Come sit with me and Satan too. He's your friend and mine."

Just a classic episode

Also watched "Time Chasers" the other day.  So good.  i feel bad for the film makers getting ripped like that but they literally asked for it so...

Offline dalem

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 7
« Reply #531 on: August 07, 2009, 03:17:36 PM »
"Space Travelers".

I know they chopped it pretty heavily to fit the time req, but wow.  Hard to believe that was a real movie with real actors.

Except for Gene of course, he was great in this one.

-dale

Offline Nunyerbiz

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #532 on: August 08, 2009, 05:32:53 AM »
904 - Werewolf

This is one of my most revisited episodes and the new Shout Factory release gave me another reason to watch it. While I haven't bought the set yet, this one coming via Netflix, I think I am going to soon. The DVD features a little "history of MST3K" interview session with cast/crew from BBI. Altho this is part three, and I haven't seen parts 1 or 2, this was a great little bonus feature.

The episode itself is always great fun... Werewolf is just a bad, bad movie.... while maybe not on the same level of ineptitude as Red Zone Cuba or Manos... it has awful editing, direction, acting, makeup... you name it and Werewolf fails at it. However, it does fail in a peculiarly charming way... Sort of like watching a play put on by victims of closed head injuries... You don't want to watch, but you dare not turn away for fear of missing whatever pile of unintenionally inept insanity they want to hoist onto the screen next. It's easy to see that the folks behind Werewolf were really being earnest and trying to make something worthwhile... but wow, just wow... The seven different wigs for Yuri, the thickheaded European-ness of Paul and Natalie, the three completely different Werewolf costumes... this one delivers the goods. There were a few more jokes that fell flat for me with this viewing than I remembered,  but the work is generally top notch with a bunch of laugh out loud zingers. The host segments have a few moments as well, with Mike in drag for a silly 50s song and then becoming a "werecrow" being highlights. Overall, I go back and forth as to whether this one is a top 5 or not... but either way it's one of their better efforts. 4 outta 4.

519 - Outlaw (of Gor)

Pod People, PumaMan, Cave Dwellers, the Sinbad and Hercules movies, heck even Devil Fish... Continental Europe has a knack for providing bizarre riff fodder that can't be mistaken for anything American... and Outlaw of Gor falls right in line. CABOT! This vaguely Italian / Spanish fantasy flick has all the ingredients: sorta feminine hero guy, sorta masculine princesses, awful fight scenes/stunts, convoluted plot and lots of shots of barely clothed asses. M&tBs take things in stride to begin with but by the end are just throwing bile at the proceedings... it's very funny... and one of the first time in the shows history where the guys really just rip into the movie without mercy. CABOT! There are a  few areas here and there when the laughs aren't quite as forthcoming, but for the most part the guys really knock this one out of the park. It had been many, many years since my last visit and I forgot how fun it was. CABOT! If you liked Cave Dwellers or Deathstalker, you have to see Outlaw of Gor... it could be the best of that bunch. This deserves a place with Mitchell, I Accuse My Parents and Eegah as a highlight of season five. CABOT! Another 4 outta 4 stars.

Offline dangfish

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #533 on: August 08, 2009, 07:36:13 AM »
Tormented

I wasn't crazy about  this one the first time I saw it.  Over repeat viewings, however, it has evolved into one of my favorite Joel episodes.  The riffing is on target throughout and I actually have a strange fondness for the film.  It reminds me of those old horror comics like House of Mystery.  Plus, Bert I. Gordon trying to be subtle is like a herd of elephants trying to sneak up on you.  I love the bit on the DVD with Gordon talking about the film.  He pretty much puts himself in the same league with Orson Welles.  Did he REALLY work on a film with Welles?

Offline Action Batch

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 67
  • Hogwashologist
« Reply #534 on: August 08, 2009, 08:44:40 AM »
I also have an inexplicable fondness for this movie. Especially for the blind housekeeper, who I think is one of the only Bert I characters that isn't just a parody of an actual human being.

Offline Nunyerbiz

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #535 on: August 09, 2009, 06:14:38 AM »
503 - Swamp Diamonds w/short: What To Do On A Date

The short is a lot of fun, as these ones from the 1950s that deal with the social mores of the day usually are... Joel and company have a great time with it. The movie itself is typical Roger Corman stuff, in that in features a few hot ladies and has a story that would struggle to fill a Beverly Hillbillies episode padded out to feature length.  It really is a credit to the gang that they can squeeze as many laughs out of this as they did... and they bring a couple of good host segments based on the dating short... but the nothing-ever-happens-in-a-Corman-movie factor will try it's best to break you before everything is said and done. The short gets a solid A, the movie gets a C+.

Offline dangfish

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #536 on: August 09, 2009, 12:02:21 PM »
Sidehackers

My third or fourth viewing and repeated watches finally paid off.  I never cared much for this episode but this time I enjoyed it.  It will never be a favorite but I remember laughing more at the riffing yesterday.  And the running gag about the traveling fridge has always been my favorite part of the episode.  Plus, you'd be hard pressed to find another non-sci fi/fantasy flick with goofier named people in it (Rommel. Cooch....somebody named Tork I think?)  After enoying this one I think I'm ready to take on Hellcats again.  It's been a loooong time since I've seen that one. I haven't watched WIld Rebels in a while either, but that one has always been my favorite season two episode.

Has anyone else ever been curious to see the deleted scene where they kill his girlfriend.  I know the whole story about how shocked they were to come across that scene when they did the film.  I was disappointed they didn't have it as an extra feature on the DVD.

Offline iv3rdawG

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 104
  • Mr. K. Dilkington
    • Controlled Obsession
« Reply #537 on: August 09, 2009, 09:16:03 PM »
I watched "Laserblast" (706) tonight. That was fantastic. So funny throughout the entire thing, especially the beginning. The guys were seriously on their A game through the entire thing. It was like perfect shot after perfect shot. The alien "language" was hilarious.

"Edward CD Player Hand."

"Dirty and Harry."

"Callahan!"

"Boy, when a movie starts showing parts of itself you know you're in trouble."
Controlled Obsession (My website - Movie, TV, Video Games)

Offline THE QUEEN!!!

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
« Reply #538 on: August 10, 2009, 12:31:27 PM »
my fav aspect of laserblast is what a bad actor the main boy and girl are. Plus I love all the jokes about how anorexic the mom is. so great.
"Kissing is like WiFi. Just get within the general area." ---New Moon RT

Offline Crow T. Robot 666

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Do not offend the chair leg of truth.
    • Teeth of the Divine
« Reply #539 on: August 10, 2009, 02:44:24 PM »
Everytime I watch Laserblast I end up being ready for some football.