Author Topic: I Just Finished Watching...  (Read 176756 times)

Offline dangfish

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 2
Re: I Just Finished Watching...
« Reply #210 on: October 19, 2008, 08:32:29 AM »
Crash of the Moons

This was my third or fourth viewing. I've always enjoyed it but this time it really clicked with me and I laughed twice as much. This one is hilarious and I love the General Hospital short as well. A real fun episode.

Offline dalem

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 7
« Reply #211 on: October 20, 2008, 07:57:54 PM »
One of my all-time faves: It Conquered the Earth. 

"Gunsmoke?  Nahh, it'll never work.  Call my brother James."

-dale

Offline dangfish

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #212 on: October 21, 2008, 02:54:26 PM »
THe Unearthly

Thought I would give this another try in honor of Tor Johnson's birthday two days ago.This one doesn't improve much with age. It starts off strong but peters out pretty quick. There simply isn't that much for them to riff on, except for Tor of course. All of his scenes are the highlight.  Unfortunately, he's not in it nearly enough. If he had been, this one might have had potential.

Offline dalem

• Big Montana
« Reply #213 on: October 30, 2008, 05:04:10 PM »
From the 20th Anniversary pack.  Werewolf.  I had never seen this one before. Actually I've never seen any of the ones in the pack.

Wow.

What an awful, awful movie and terrific riff.  I mean, wow.  Wow.

Wow, it's bad.  Bad like stink.  Bad like a bad cup filled to the bad rim with the bad milk of bad human unkindness.  Too bad they had to edit out the no-doubt fake Hungarian boobies that were destined to spring free though, that would have helped.

A bit.

With the badness.  Or not.  Because it was pretty bad.  Even though it had that guy in it.

But it was the first new MST I've seen since I bought the Crawling Hand DVD with some others when Shout! got the license.

So even though it was bad, it was so, so good.

-dale

Offline dalem

• Big Montana
« Reply #214 on: November 01, 2008, 06:44:32 PM »
Umm...

Did I just see Jean Claude Van Damme kill a dinosaur with a piece of thrown glass?

-dale

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 6297
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #215 on: November 01, 2008, 09:38:40 PM »
From the 20th Anniversary pack.  Werewolf.  I had never seen this one before. Actually I've never seen any of the ones in the pack.

Wow.

What an awful, awful movie and terrific riff.  I mean, wow.  Wow.

Wow, it's bad.  Bad like stink.  Bad like a bad cup filled to the bad rim with the bad milk of bad human unkindness.  Too bad they had to edit out the no-doubt fake Hungarian boobies that were destined to spring free though, that would have helped.

A bit.

With the badness.  Or not.  Because it was pretty bad.  Even though it had that guy in it.

But it was the first new MST I've seen since I bought the Crawling Hand DVD with some others when Shout! got the license.

So even though it was bad, it was so, so good.

-dale

Werewolf is definitely the best of the four episodes on that set. Classic MST3K. Believe it or not, I'm pretty sure I watched Werewolf on VHS years ago before I saw it as an MST3K episode.
If you haven't seen any of the other episodes yet, a warning. As bad as that movie is, Future War is significantly worse. It's amateur filmaking of the worst kind.

Offline Super Monkey Death Car

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 0
  • HOO-HOO-HA and a HOKA-HOKA-HEY!
« Reply #216 on: November 06, 2008, 05:25:19 PM »
The Film Crew's "Three Stooges"...about to watch Mike riffing Swing Parade.
REQUEST ACCESS TO CLU PROGRAM
CODE 6 PASSWORD TO MEMORY 0222

Offline dangfish

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #217 on: November 09, 2008, 01:21:07 PM »
Hamlet

I understand why so many pick this as one of their least favorite.  Even unwatchable messes like Wild World of Batwoman and Monster A-go-go have enough truly bizarre moments to pique your interest for at least a few moments at a time. This film doesn't even have that luxury.  The riffing is good enough, however, that I am still able to enjoy it, provided I only watch about 30 minutes at a time. And even 30 minutes in a row is pushing it with this movie.

Doc Steve

« Reply #218 on: November 12, 2008, 02:41:18 PM »
Hamlet

I understand why so many pick this as one of their least favorite.  Even unwatchable messes like Wild World of Batwoman and Monster A-go-go have enough truly bizarre moments to pique your interest for at least a few moments at a time. This film doesn't even have that luxury.  The riffing is good enough, however, that I am still able to enjoy it, provided I only watch about 30 minutes at a time. And even 30 minutes in a row is pushing it with this movie.

To me, the fact that so many people list this as their "least favorite" MST3K episode indicates that they aren't familiar with Season 1 and the KTMA episodes.  I'd much rather watch Hamlet than Legend of the Dinosurs, Mad Monster, The Robot v. the Aztec Mummy, or The Corpse Vanishes

My guess is you'd like it better if you actually forced yourself to watch it all in one sitting. 

Offline dalem

• Big Montana
« Reply #219 on: November 12, 2008, 05:40:19 PM »
Yeah, Hamlet definitely works better if you have a buddy, some cigars and rum, and a couple of weekends in which to take it.  Then it's a hoot.

Now, I just tried my first iRiff last night.  Speed.  I liked it.  A lot.  I noticed during the big, beefy credits that there was a Mark Mancina that got music credit.  I noticed because the last name is close to mine and that's the kind of thing that catches your eye.

So I did the iRiff, logged on to the forum to give a very positive review, and still had some cigar left.  So I figured I'd do a few minutes of an MST to take me down the long slope.  Space Mutiny is always good for a laugh, especially the first half, so in it went.  And as I settled back, and the credits unpixellated on the screen and Mike & the Bots did their thing, a name coalesced on the screen.

You guessed it - Mark Mancina.

He did the music for Speed AND Space Mutiny.  A little riffing coincidence that I thought I should share with the group.

-dale

Offline bettertomorrowamy

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 12
  • Get this lazy Manc twat an Emmy!
« Reply #220 on: November 12, 2008, 06:02:12 PM »
I just watch Devil Doll again.  Now I'm gonna go get some ham.  You dummies can't have any ham.
On timeout

Offline dalem

• Big Montana
« Reply #221 on: November 12, 2008, 06:38:36 PM »
"I'll have a vodka sandwich."

-dale

Offline dangfish

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #222 on: November 12, 2008, 07:19:53 PM »
Hamlet

To me, the fact that so many people list this as their "least favorite" MST3K episode indicates that they aren't familiar with Season 1 and the KTMA episodes.  I'd much rather watch Hamlet than Legend of the Dinosurs, Mad Monster, The Robot v. the Aztec Mummy, or The Corpse Vanishes

My guess is you'd like it better if you actually forced yourself to watch it all in one sitting. 

Well, Technically I didn't say it was one of MY least favoirtes. Due to the incredibly tedious nature of the film I understand why many others feel this way. As I said, I was able to enjoy it in 30 minute increments due to the solid riffing. And while it will never be one of my favorites I would still choose it over anything from season one. Over the last few years I've learned to finally appreciate seasons 2 and 3 much more than I used to but I still can't seem to warm to season one. It just seems like such a work in progress compared to the rest of the series.  Have never seen the KTMAS and have no desire to.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 07:21:54 PM by dangfish »

Doc Steve

« Reply #223 on: November 12, 2008, 08:15:56 PM »
Hamlet

Well, Technically I didn't say it was one of MY least favoirtes. Due to the incredibly tedious nature of the film I understand why many others feel this way. As I said, I was able to enjoy it in 30 minute increments due to the solid riffing. And while it will never be one of my favorites I would still choose it over anything from season one. Over the last few years I've learned to finally appreciate seasons 2 and 3 much more than I used to but I still can't seem to warm to season one. It just seems like such a work in progress compared to the rest of the series.  Have never seen the KTMAS and have no desire to.

Sort of off-topic, but it may be worthwhile before it's too late for someone. 

The only real reason to watch all of the KTMA episodes would be to "witness the evolution of the show" or something alog those lines.  The problem is that many of the episodes do not have all three riffers (Joel, Josh, and Trace), because someone is missing for personal or job-related reasons.  The run is very disjointed, and you end up wasting a lot of time with the early episodes (all Sandy Frank, all redone).  I finally saw them all, but I owned a copy of Mighty Jack for about four years before I tackled it, just for example. 

There are a handful of really good KTMA episodes that are worth seeing:
1.  SST: Death Flight
2.  Superdome
3.  City on Fire
4.  The Million Eyes of Su-Muru
5.  The Last Race

SST and Superdome are about as good as a typical Season 1 episode.  They are two of the most riffable movies they've ever done.  I wish Cinematic Titanic would re-do those instead of Santa Claus Conquers the Martians

Hangar 18 and Phase IV are "alright."  You could certainly do a lot worse. 

People may have different tastes, but you would probably get about 5-7 answers from just about anyone who has seen them all.  I would be very surprised if anyone claimed to have liked them all well enough to recommend buying them all. 

EDIT:  I should probably point out that some of this is actually objective, not subjective.  You'll notice I didn't list a "redone" film.  Trust me, almost all of the funny lines or ideas from the KTMA eps get recycled in the Comedy Central versions.  Also, there are some really long periods of silence in some of the other KTMA eps that I didn't recommend.   
« Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 08:32:41 PM by Doc Steve »

Offline bratpop

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Riff everything.
« Reply #224 on: November 14, 2008, 06:56:48 PM »
I thought Hamlet was hilariuos. Also the adlibbed KTMAs were surprisingly good. Maybe better than season "one."