Author Topic: I Just Finished Watching...  (Read 187386 times)

Offline dbsommer

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 126
Re: I Just Finished Watching...
« Reply #1635 on: January 11, 2021, 01:34:02 PM »
Alien from LA

Bit of backstory on this. Kathy Ireland was my supermodel crush. As in I regarded her by far as the hottest supermodel around (And this is with blondes being my kryptonite). During a slow summer I happened to go to HBO and low and behold, this was on. So I watch it, and yeah, it's bad, and I did not picture that voice with that face, but hey, it's my crush so it was worth it.

Then I learned the guys riffed it, so I watched it about 15 years or so ago, and I thought it was okay. Pretty slow, and not much memorable. It was just there. So now I decided to watch it again on youtube since it's 'officially' there, and actually it's better than I remembered. The movie is still awful on a low budget, but its competent at the same time. There are a lot of jokes about KI being hot and her voice (both of which are fair since she is a super model and it's not like they've riffed too many of those, and that voice is squeaky), but there are other amusing lines in it. Lots of bad Austrailian accents. etc. The skits are pretty good as well with a Full Metal Jacket skit and 'Vend-a-gut' and 'Udder Fridge' inventions. Also loved Clay's first line about Mike's Pyle impression.

"Ah, I see you've decided to go full psycho. Godspeed."

But there are a lot of lines in movie, such as calling in reference to the Aussie accents, 'So this is 'Sad Max', and a number of others that were entertaining. While not in the upper echelon, I'd say this is pretty good and worth a watch. It's certainly fairly unique in a casting sort of way.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2021, 01:36:06 PM by dbsommer »

Offline dbsommer

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 126
Re: I Just Finished Watching...
« Reply #1636 on: February 05, 2021, 12:36:00 AM »
Pod People

I recall really liking this the first time I saw it. Now... my god this is a terrible movie. Even the opening 'Galaxy Invader' footage that has nothing to do with the movie was more coherent than this mess. Imagine Rock N Roll Nightmare having a bastard child with Alien Outlaw... and it's worse than that. It's a whole lot of nothing, and while the riffs make it barely endurable, that's all it does. It's a horror movie with no horror, an ET rip off less appealing than Mac and Me. As the guys mention, it's like three or four unrelated movies rolled into one. And all of them are terrible. I have no idea why I liked this as much as I did the first time around.

I'm not saying anything on this since many liked it. I mean the riffs are good, but it felt like there were many far better msts to go through first.

Mighty Jack

Unlike Pod People I remembered nothing of this. I suspect in another 24 hours I'll remember nothing of it again. It's a Sandy Frank compilation of something, because that is what Sandy got paid to do. This was entertaining visually, since it's based on a not successful Japanese TV series with spies, flying battleships, and spies. The plot in this case is understandably hard to follow since Sandy used two out of 14 episodes or so. And it's somewhat coherent. But there are things happening which can hold your attention, unlike Pod People.

There are both better spy films, Like Double Double 007, Agent of HARM, and better Sandy Frank Japanese adaptations, like Fugitive Alien and anything with Gamera in it. But it's still worth a watch. Just after the other things I mentioned.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2021, 07:52:36 PM by dbsommer »