login

Author Topic: I Just Finished Watching...  (Read 159635 times)

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3072
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
Re: I Just Finished Watching...
« Reply #1590 on: December 23, 2018, 10:40:23 AM »
Getting into the spirit with The Christmas That Almost Wasn't. It's one of my favorite episodes of the last season despite a strange running gag about Whipple being a "widdle baby" that comes from absolutely nowhere and does nothing for me.

Offline Iron Curtain

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 149
    • My website full o' stuff.
« Reply #1591 on: December 25, 2018, 07:07:19 PM »
913 Quest of the Delta Knights. This was a wonderful episode whose inability to make it to sale on DVD or downloadable files saddens me, even though I was able to see it on YouTube from someone who taped it off of the Sci-Fi channel. As far as movies riffed by MST3K (or even rifftrax) are concerned, this movie was Citizen Kane compared to piles of dreck that Joel and Mike had to have sit through. I mean, the plot was easy to follow along and it was coherent, and any objections I would have to it are more nit-picking than anything. Still, the movie was extremely riffable and fun to watch. That being said, if some miracle happened and I was able to get a DVD or digital file of this movie, it may be in my favorites.

Oh, and great riffing by Mary Jo/Pearl in the first theater segment!
« Last Edit: December 26, 2018, 03:54:46 AM by Iron Curtain »

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5617
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #1592 on: December 25, 2018, 07:10:17 PM »
I love the Quest of the Delta Knights episode too. It does have at least some ambition to it, at least compared to a lot of the other movies MST3K riffed. And I always like Richard Kind, even though he's clearly not given much to work off of in this. The riffing is fantastic.

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 244
« Reply #1593 on: December 28, 2018, 07:08:17 PM »
606 The Creeping Terror
Someone mentioned it in another thread recently. Remembered the monster, but didn't remember much about the movie. Great riffing. Terrible movie. Wouldn't want a lot of movies this bad in a season, but it made me long for regular seasons of 20+ episodes with 2 or 3 or 4 of this type of terrible movies in a season.

Offline Iron Curtain

• Big Montana
« Reply #1594 on: January 01, 2019, 05:20:09 PM »
703 Deathstalker and the Warriors from Hell
Watched because I was reminded that on the current live tour they'll be doing Deathstalker 2 at some stops-not personally going to get to see a Deathstalker 2 show though.
The season 7 Deathstalker movie is actually the 3rd of a 4 movie series and is about as generic as a sword and sourcery movie can be which makes for some good riffing material. Enjoyed the Micheal McDonlad riffs and the terrible fight choreography.

This is one of  my favorites. Easily a top 10 along with Outlaw (of Gor).

Outlaw was a decent episode after you get past the first 10 minutes of the movie. To sum it up:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I just finished Outlaw of Gor as well. It's interesting that for a movie based on such a rapey author the movie has a lot of male butt shots...
« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 06:07:48 PM by Iron Curtain »

Offline linszoid

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 260
« Reply #1595 on: January 01, 2019, 06:50:15 PM »
Honestly though I hope Rifftrax does the first Gor movie someday.

Offline Iron Curtain

• Big Montana
« Reply #1596 on: January 02, 2019, 06:10:42 AM »

On a semi-related tangent, MST3K was going to do Master Ninja III but it was around the time Frank was leaving so they sent him off with Samson vs. The Vampire Women instead.

Offline dbsommer

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 39
« Reply #1597 on: January 07, 2019, 07:17:15 PM »

The other Academy Award winner, Oliver Reed, was the main bad guy in that. Although Jack has a cameo at the end. I think it would have the issue Ator the Wounded Eagle did  in that the time dealt with the set up in the first movie bogs it down, while the sequel is full speed ahead awful from start to finish since there is no need for a set up.

Yeah, I saw Gor unriffed years before the guys did Outlaw (of Gor)

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #1598 on: January 09, 2019, 07:19:25 PM »
913 Quest of the Delta Knights. This was a wonderful episode whose inability to make it to sale on DVD or downloadable files saddens me, even though I was able to see it on YouTube from someone who taped it off of the Sci-Fi channel. As far as movies riffed by MST3K (or even rifftrax) are concerned, this movie was Citizen Kane compared to piles of dreck that Joel and Mike had to have sit through. I mean, the plot was easy to follow along and it was coherent, and any objections I would have to it are more nit-picking than anything. Still, the movie was extremely riffable and fun to watch. That being said, if some miracle happened and I was able to get a DVD or digital file of this movie, it may be in my favorites.

Oh, and great riffing by Mary Jo/Pearl in the first theater segment!
I love that episode and the movie as a riffing target, but I think you're giving the movie way too much credit as a movie.
There are a surprising lack of armored knights for a movie with knights in the title, the costumes are a mix of renaissance faire and Pirates of the Caribbean, a spit ball shot through a straw pierces armor, handguns are used in one scene and then never again (and I want more handguns in my knight movies), and the final quest in the maze doesn't involve anything perilous, just a decision whether to go left or right.

Offline CastletonSnob

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #1599 on: January 19, 2019, 11:30:05 AM »
Been on an MST3K binge lately.

I think Bill's more acerbic riffing fit better with the overall darker tone the show had in the Sci-Fi years. Even the movies themselves were darker in tone than the ones shown during the Comedy Central era. You think something like Devil Doll or Incredibly Strange Creatures would be shown in the Comedy Central episodes? I doubt it.

Offline Iron Curtain

• Big Montana
« Reply #1600 on: January 19, 2019, 02:36:40 PM »
Been on an MST3K binge lately.

I think Bill's more acerbic riffing fit better with the overall darker tone the show had in the Sci-Fi years. Even the movies themselves were darker in tone than the ones shown during the Comedy Central era. You think something like Devil Doll or Incredibly Strange Creatures would be shown in the Comedy Central episodes? I doubt it.

I could see Devil Doll, given that it's a B&W film…

Offline CastletonSnob

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #1601 on: January 20, 2019, 11:23:20 AM »
Puma Man.

I'm just now noticing that Pearl's mole keeps changing places.

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #1602 on: March 09, 2019, 06:37:57 PM »
The Million Eyes of Sumuru
Watched because The Girl from Rio is it's sequel. I liked it in the same way I like a lot of the late season KTMA episodes- the improvements made as that original season progressed were amazing and there were a decent amount of riffs and good riffs given it was a KTMA episode. Movie wasn't much of a movie though.

Offline Iron Curtain

• Big Montana
« Reply #1603 on: May 10, 2019, 06:11:59 AM »
812 The Incredibly Strange Creatures Who Stopped Living and Became Mixed-Up Zombies This movie was really, really weird. And Terrible. At least it was better than Manos, though.