Author Topic: Kick-Ass (anybody read the first issue) Mark Millar/John Romita.  (Read 2181 times)

Offline spider-prime

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked: 0
  • I AM SHEEEE-RAAAAAAAAA!
    • The Magic box - Videogame news.
http://comics.ign.com/articles/855/855001p1.html first couple of pages preview.

I love this book so far, it's right up there with Preacher now :D

Can't wait for the 2nd issue now.
Nobody can stop the Grimace!

Offline Fuzzy Necromancer

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 11
Re: Kick-Ass (anybody read the first issue) Mark Millar/John Romita.
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2008, 09:20:58 AM »
Is Mark Millar mortal, even in a "has to have a stake through the heart AND get decapitated, then the head must be stuffed with garlic and holy wafers" kind of way, or is he some spectral personification of human evils that has to be sealed inside a sacred gem every 5,000 years?
Love doesn't hurt. It kills.

"Where there's smoke, there's a smoke-making machine."

Offline Scott M Davis

• Schnappi Supporter
    • Late Nite Theater
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2008, 09:27:43 AM »
its another example of millar jerking off all over the pages and acting like its gold.

JRjr is being wasted on it.

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2008, 08:19:02 PM »
Here here!

*toasts a glass with Mr. Davis*

Offline gbeenie

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 415
  • Prepare to die, obviously!
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2008, 08:22:47 PM »
What's with all the Millar-hatin'?
"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere.
Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen."

- Conan O'Brien

Offline gbeenie

• Ephialtes
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2008, 08:33:56 PM »
p.s. What I've seen of Kick-Ass so far, I like.
"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere.
Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen."

- Conan O'Brien

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2008, 11:10:05 AM »

Like Top Gun and Cocktail, his work exemplifies some of the values and archetypes of USA's culture that I consider loathsome and degenerate.

Offline gbeenie

• Ephialtes
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2008, 12:30:43 PM »
I'd be amiss if I failed to point out at this juncture that Millar is Scottish. He doesn't even live in America.

- Conan O'Brien

Offline gbeenie

• Ephialtes
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2008, 12:38:44 PM »

Like Top Gun and Cocktail, his work exemplifies some of the values and archetypes of USA's culture that I consider loathsome and degenerate.

Oooookay. Care to elaborate?

- Conan O'Brien

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2008, 07:28:45 PM »
Only if you really want me to, because I'd rather not do the necisary direct analysis of his works to find specific examples to support my broad statement.

Offline zoom

• Sparkles in Sunlight
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2008, 06:34:34 AM »
I've honestly never been able to find a single writer I've been able to hate with a passion personally.  I find Millar hit or miss (more hits generally, but when he misses, it's a catastrophe occasionally).  Millar's main flaw is dialog and a tenancy to be a little immature with it.  Wanted is my prime example, when I read it I thought it was a joke, but I realized Millar was being serious.  It had no meaning or purpose and with characters named 'Shithead' and 'Fuckwit', a living pile of feces (who's line was "death by dysentery") and a Bizarro parody with down syndrome, I just didn't know where he was going or what he was trying to do.  Occasionally in his more serious works I find the occasionally immature/weird dialog that takes me out of the moment.  But more often than not I find Millar's work to be pretty good.  If you haven't read Superman the Red Son you really should as it's a great Superman story by Millar, free of any of the former complaints.  I found the beginning of Civil War to be a hit, but the story kind of lost it's punch as it went on.  Also his stint on the Ultimates was one of my favorite "re-imaging" of the Avengers.  Millar has pluses and minuses to me like any other writer.  It's just how many more plus you have than minus that makes a writer likable to me.  IMO Millar makes more good books than bad of what I've read.

Kick-Ass has been pretty good so far.  It's not necessarily my cup of tea, but it's an interesting story.  I never paid mind to any hype from Millar, so I don't really get into that whole inflated ego of his I keep hearing about, but overall it's an interesting book.  I'm more looking forward to Marvel 1985 of his.  His weakness might be his dialog but his strength definately is his ability to add a bit of "real world" to a fictional medium.  He can somehow keep a god like Thor in the Avengers but somehow make it seem like he could be fighting the Wrecking Crew across a Starbucks from you.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2008, 06:36:42 AM by zoom »