Which one of these shows is the best?

The Sopranos
Big Love
Sex & The City
Six Feet Under
The Wire
Oz
Deadwood

Author Topic: What's the best dramatic HBO series?  (Read 2839 times)

Offline SmilinJackRoss

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 5
    • Heated Seats iRiffs
What's the best dramatic HBO series?
« on: March 07, 2008, 07:47:48 AM »
It's time to find out what you rifftraxians think the best HBO dramatic series is.  Now, this list is not every show that aired on HBO, no comedies are included.  It's not even every drama that aired.  In order to keep the list lean, I only included dramatic shows that lasted more than 2 seasons.  If you think I've left something off, let me know.

So vote, discuss, praise, and berate.
Heated Seats iRiffs: Touched by an Angel | Marked for Death | Runaway | Heated Shorts (shorts collection)

Offline Courtney

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • How Twilight could have been better.
    • Hobo Trashcan - Outside of the In-Crowd
Re: What's the best dramatic HBO series?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2008, 07:55:41 AM »
Six Feet Under is one of the best shows ever.  Its final episode made me cry and I've watched the last five minutes many many times because it's just beautiful.  Well rounded characters, groundbreaking, insanely amazing acting, really sickly funny, beautiful cinematography, love it.

Offline a pretty girl is like

• Liked: 450
  • I hast had enow of thine effrontery!
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2008, 09:28:50 AM »
The Wire for me.  But Deadwood was a very very close second.  Deadwood definitely has the best villain on television ever in Al Swearengen.

And it's too bad The Sopranos continued after Nancy Marchand died.  The seasons after were a steady decline into mediocrity with the exception of Joey Pants.
I'm all out for kicks...and every inch of me spells EXCITEMENT!

Offline Rude

• Liked: 3
  • Forum Czar
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2008, 09:43:55 AM »

By cutting the comedies out of the mix, almost none of my favorite HBO series are gonna' make the list. There goes Mr. Show, Dream On & Curb Your Enthusiasm... not to mention Flight Of The Conchords, but that show only has a single season anyway.

I know it's annoying when you make a list, and people only find time to complain about what you left off of it. But my favorite HBO series, and one of my favorite shows of all time actually... was Tales From The Crypt.

-Rude
"I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."<a href="http://www.divshare.com/flash/audio?myId=3942804-0e3" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.divshare.com/flash/audio?myId=3942804-0e3</a>

anais.jude

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2008, 10:06:00 AM »
i adore 6 feet under. i have season 5, but i just can't bring myself to watch it. i don't want to live in a world where there are no episodes i haven't seen.

that was a bit overdramamtic, i admit

Offline Minnesota

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 4
  • Twins Territory
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2008, 10:44:16 AM »
Curb and Entourage are the only shows I watch on HBO, so I guess my answer is none of the above. Keeping to the list: the only standout was the first two seasons of Sopranos which I loved. I can see the appeal of Sex & the City, its like they took the movie Singles and turned it into a TV show, so its fairly watchable if you're forced to. Watched an episode of Deadwood and couldn't believe how terrible it was, so based on that I'd say thats the worst show on the list. I also have a strong hate for Six Feet Under, the sportsnight actor is good but I can't stand any of the other characters. I generally dislike dramas ('black humor'?) that operate under the premise of screwed up families (ala Little Miss Sunshine, Bill Murray movies, etcetera). So yeah, thats why I choose none of the above.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2008, 10:46:04 AM by Minnesota »

Offline bettertomorrowamy

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 12
  • Get this lazy Manc twat an Emmy!
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2008, 10:55:38 AM »
The Wire destroys all these shows.  If you want to understand how things work in a city without the Good and Evil labels that are normally strictly applied, then rent this show.
On timeout

Offline deadheadpunk

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked: 1
  • Pisces dying rays..
    • Myspace
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2008, 11:10:40 AM »
I went with the Sopranos, I really loved that show

Offline Ortega

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 33
    • Ortega's Covers
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2008, 11:42:39 AM »
Man, it really hard to choose.  I loved Sopranos.  The first, second and fifth seasons were probably the best.  I also really liked  Deadwood up until the Third season were it just stagnated.  I never really liked Six Feet Under.  It was one of those shows that i would watch if there was nothing on, but i wouldn't keep up with it.  And call me crazy, but i really, really dig Big Love.  Bill Paxton FTW!!

Offline SmilinJackRoss

• Mayor of Nilbog
    • Heated Seats iRiffs
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2008, 01:34:15 PM »

By cutting the comedies out of the mix, almost none of my favorite HBO series are gonna' make the list. There goes Mr. Show, Dream On & Curb Your Enthusiasm... not to mention Flight Of The Conchords, but that show only has a single season anyway.

I know it's annoying when you make a list, and people only find time to complain about what you left off of it. But my favorite HBO series, and one of my favorite shows of all time actually... was Tales From The Crypt.

-Rude

Trust me, Mr Show is certainly one of my favorite shows of all time.  Maybe another poll is in order for best HBO comedy series?

So my favorite show was Six Feet Under, followed very closely by The Sopranos.  It's almost a tie.  The Wire is also an incredible series, but it didn't affect me emotionally like those other two.  I love The Wire for it's brilliant ways of telling a story over a sea of different characters, all the while showing each of them in a true light.  A very compelling show.

Never could get hooked by Oz, couldn't stand Sex & The City, and I've never seen a second Deadwood (although I plan to, eventually).
Heated Seats iRiffs: Touched by an Angel | Marked for Death | Runaway | Heated Shorts (shorts collection)

Offline swisscheeseandbullets

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2008, 03:52:29 PM »
Trust me, Mr Show is certainly one of my favorite shows of all time.  Maybe another poll is in order for best HBO comedy series?

So my favorite show was Six Feet Under, followed very closely by The Sopranos.  It's almost a tie.  The Wire is also an incredible series, but it didn't affect me emotionally like those other two.  I love The Wire for it's brilliant ways of telling a story over a sea of different characters, all the while showing each of them in a true light.  A very compelling show.
http://forum.rifftrax.com/index.php?action=post;msg=226093;topic=7925.0;sesc=28bdf4e27828b5c230ebdfcd97dfb14a
Modify message
Never could get hooked by Oz, couldn't stand Sex & The City, and I've never seen a second Deadwood (although I plan to, eventually).

I'm eagerly awaiting your opinion of The West Wing. 

I never once watched an episode of Sex & the City by choice, but through my sister I've seen many episodes and enjoyed most of them.  But Carrie just annoyed the fuck out of me.
Unfortunately I've seen many episodes of The Sopranos out of order, but they've always been great.  And Mr. Show is fantastic.

hahahaha.  below is the Why Me? The Bob Lamonta Story
"peanut butter, and egg and dice"
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 07, 2008, 03:59:24 PM by swisscheeseandbullets »

Offline a pretty girl is like

• Liked: 450
  • I hast had enow of thine effrontery!
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2008, 04:14:23 PM »
i adore 6 feet under. i have season 5, but i just can't bring myself to watch it. i don't want to live in a world where there are no episodes i haven't seen.

that was a bit overdramamtic, i admit

I really like Six Feet Under except that whenever I watched, I kept getting pulled out of the show because Rachel Griffiths looks exactly like John Cameron Mitchell. 

My own fault for being distracted by my love for John Cameron Mitchell.
I'm all out for kicks...and every inch of me spells EXCITEMENT!

Offline Plastic Self-Cleaning Duck

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 2
  • Duck!!!
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2008, 11:16:02 AM »
"Carnivale" belongs on that list.

Offline SmilinJackRoss

• Mayor of Nilbog
    • Heated Seats iRiffs
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2008, 11:56:51 AM »
It didn't last more than 2 seasons.

Offline bettertomorrowamy

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 12
  • Get this lazy Manc twat an Emmy!
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2008, 01:05:01 PM »
and it never got anywhere in those two seasons.
On timeout