login

Author Topic: Mike's new Cracked article about "worst" comedy classics  (Read 3972 times)

Offline josephablevins

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 0
Mike's new Cracked article about "worst" comedy classics
« on: November 11, 2006, 09:03:10 AM »
So Mike's been writing for "Cracked" lately, and he's done this article about "snob comedies," and here's a link:

http://www.cracked.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=1215

The thing is, I like four out of five of these movies (haven't sat through "Diner" yet), and I don't consider myself a snob.  One look through my DVD collection will definitively prove that my tastes don't run towards the snobbish, and yet I find all these movies funny... and don't really agree with Mike's vague criticisms of any of them.  (I think, for instance, in "Annie Hall," that Mike's kind of missing the point that Alvy, the main character, hates all that icky 1970s stuff, too, and that Paul Simon and Tony Roberts' characters are supposed to be creepy.  They're presented as NEGATIVE characters, not role models, and the movie is a condemnation of the 1970s and its values, not a celebration of them.  Plus Mike makes some cheap "Soon Yi" cracks which really aren't fair since I believe in separating the artist from the work, and besides, Woody hadn't even MET Mia Farrow when he was making this movie.  Does Chuck Berry's atrocious real-life behavior make his 1950s records any less great?  I don't think so.)  But there's no real way to respond to something like this because merely RESPONDING makes you a snob.  It's like if I were to write an article called "Everybody Who Likes The Following Movies is a Big Stupid Doodyhead," and then just printed a list of movies I don't like.  If anyone disagrees, I could just say, "Well, you're obviously a big stupid doodyhead" and then refer them back to the title of the article.  Case closed.

I think there's a big problem of movies whose reputations are so over-hyped that critics can't resist taking shots at them.  Once you get that awful label -- "classic" -- people immediately want to take you down a few pegs.  If the films on Mike's list were sort of semi-known cult favorites instead of "official" award-winning, critically-praised classics, would he still feel the need to have written this article bashing them?  Isn't it the hype he's reacting to rather than the movies?  Besides, isn't this the same Mike Nelson who's always going after lowbrow comedies, like those starring Adam Sandler and Jim Carrey?  So let's get this straight.  We can't like lowbrow comedies.  We can't like highbrow comedies.  What's left, Mike?  Middlebrow comedies?  Nelson has declared himself a fan of the movie "Local Hero."  Couldn't that film just as easily have been included on this list?  And, heck, while he was head writer and then host of MST3K for a decade, he made only about 10 zillion references to "Annie Hall" and "Dr. Strangelove," usually just lifting jokes from them verbatim.

So, in short, I think this article is a bit on the hypocritical side, none too astute in its film criticism, and besides, the article itself isn't terribly funny.  It's for CRACKED, after all, which is supposed to be a comedy magazine.  But read it out loud and see if you even laugh once.  Or even chuckle.  No, the tone is sour and whiny -- how is that funny?  Explain yourself, Nelson!
« Last Edit: November 11, 2006, 09:09:39 AM by josephablevins »

Offline Cibernético II

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Vadinho says: YOU are the Pumaman.
    • My Space
Re: Mike's new Cracked article about "worst" comedy classics
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2006, 09:15:23 AM »
yup, we've already discussed this one pretty good

http://rifftrax.com/smf/index.php?topic=647.0
I really do like pie.

Offline Petey Wheatstraw

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • "SMOG INSPECTION!"
    • Mystic Studios Productions
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2006, 02:53:32 PM »
Fuck it. Funny is funny. I like many of Adam Sandler and Jim Carrey's movies (granted, there were quite a few lousy movies between the two of 'em, but some good stuff as well). Stanley Kubrick's Dr. Strangelove is the greatest comedy ever made, Woody Allen is brilliant even though some of his recent stuff stinks, and Rushmore and Being John Malkovich are two of the best comedies of recent years.

Mike's assessment of these movies is wrong, wrong, wrong (except I've never seen Diner, so I still can't comment on it).
This iRiff will only be on sale for another few hours. Get it while it's cheap!

Offline Sharktopus

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 3
  • May the Porkins be with you.
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2006, 11:03:33 PM »
Y'know, I agree with Mike's assessments for the most part, but at the same time, you're right - Mike's article does come off more whiny than funny. Love the new Cracked though. Good stuff.

Offline Cibernético II

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Vadinho says: YOU are the Pumaman.
    • My Space
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2006, 11:50:43 AM »
no it doesn't. how can a light hearted article about comedy movies that take themselves too seriously be whiny?

the only people that would be really bothered by the article are... well, movie snobs
I really do like pie.

Offline Petey Wheatstraw

• "SMOG INSPECTION!"
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2006, 11:50:09 PM »
I'm no snob, I just don't feel like having some of my favorite movies insulted by a person who says "you don't really like these movies. You just WANT to like 'em because you're told that you're supposed to like 'em." Bullshit, captain. The reason I like Dr. Strangelove, or anything else, is because I find it funny, not because "you're told to like it."

Where's The Princess Bride? That movie is one of the biggest wastes of time in film history. It's not funny, the fantasy elements of the story aren't engaging, and the overall film is incredibly bland. That's a "snob classic" if I've ever seen one.

Offline Sharktopus

• Ephialtes
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2006, 12:04:15 AM »
Where's The Princess Bride? That movie is one of the biggest wastes of time in film history. It's not funny, the fantasy elements of the story aren't engaging, and the overall film is incredibly bland. That's a "snob classic" if I've ever seen one.

No no no, people genuinely love Princess Bride. I know because I managed to never see it as a kid, so having no fond memories of it I wondered what all the fuss was about. I rented it just this year, watched it for the first time, and really enjoyed it. Nothing snobby about it.

Offline Petey Wheatstraw

• "SMOG INSPECTION!"
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2006, 01:43:45 AM »
No, no, no, you just love it because you're told to love it, not because you genuinely love it. ::)

Offline Sharktopus

• Ephialtes
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2006, 02:36:22 AM »
No, no, no, you just love it because you're told to love it, not because you genuinely love it. ::)

Well, I don't love Apocalypse Now just because you tell me I should.

Online ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1269
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2006, 02:50:16 AM »
It's pretty damn arrogant (or perhaps, snobby) to be telling people they don't actually enjoy the movies they like.
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline Petey Wheatstraw

• "SMOG INSPECTION!"
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2006, 06:05:10 AM »
It's pretty damn arrogant (or perhaps, snobby) to be telling people they don't actually enjoy the movies they like.

Didn't you read what I said before I made that post?

I'm no snob, I just don't feel like having some of my favorite movies insulted by a person who says "you don't really like these movies. You just WANT to like 'em because you're told that you're supposed to like 'em." Bullshit, captain. The reason I like Dr. Strangelove, or anything else, is because I find it funny, not because "you're told to like it."

It's a joke!! I was mocking the attitude that I got from Mike's Cracked article. Try paying attention once in a while.

Offline J-Proof

• J-Proof
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2006, 09:02:59 AM »
I agree with Mike for all the movies he dissed (minus "Diner" cuz I haven't seen it) with the exception of "Dr. Strangelove." My goodness, it's one of my favorite movies of all time. Like - top ten for me, and it was incredibly ahead of its time.

Not to say I didn't like "Being John Malkovich" etc... I think the point is, "snobs" like to lift these movies up as being the universally standard measurement for "funny" when in reality, it's okay /not/ to like them.
J to the Pizzo
P to the Jizzay...

Offline Steve-O

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 56
    • The Incomparable
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2006, 12:42:04 PM »

Sweet!  It's the Battle of the Guys Who Hate Everything Anybody Else Likes!

I fully expect someone or something to implode shortly.

Offline Sharktopus

• Ephialtes
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2006, 12:45:31 PM »
This kind of thing is exactly why we need a dedicated sarcasm emoticon.

Online ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1269
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2006, 03:18:53 PM »

Sweet!  It's the Battle of the Guys Who Hate Everything Anybody Else Likes!

I fully expect someone or something to implode shortly.

you what?
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)