login

Author Topic: Wacky Composer's Birthday  (Read 1408 times)

Offline daltysmilth

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 45
  • This is MY Enterprise. Eat it, Abrams!
    • My Space
Wacky Composer's Birthday
« on: November 10, 2006, 12:45:29 PM »
Today is the birthday of one Carl W. Stalling, who composed the music for pretty much every Looney Tunes cartoon that anyone cares about, and pretty much invented the cartoon style of composing.  Every composer who works on cartoons nowadays, whether they realize it or not, owes a great deal to Carl Stalling.  So to celebrate, find some time today to watch one of the classic Looney Tunes, whether on Youtube, from one of the DVD collections, or some other means that I can't think of right now, only this time when you watch it, pay close attention to the music, and appreciate the subtle (yes I said subtle) comic genius present in every note.  Laugh knowingly as he quotes freely and blatantly from Warner Bros. then vast repository of music.  Chuckle appreciatively as he inserts an intentionally off-key rendition of any number of famous classical pieces from Wagner, Tchaikovsky, Rossini and others into his scores.  Snicker conspiritorially as he mercilessly mocks his own musical literalism.  Some suggestions for cartoons: Baton Bunny, The Rabbit of Seville, Duck Amuck, and Puddy Tat Trouble.
CROW:  (Sinisterly) The Secret Government Eggo Project...
--Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie

"Jason, Chess is a game of chance."
-- My friend Shawn to my friend Jason upon being defeated at a game of Chess.

http://gh.ffshrine.org?r=112104

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3180
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
Re: Wacky Composer's Birthday
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2006, 02:10:37 PM »
Oooh. A fellow toon gourmet. :^)

Yeah the Loony Tunes wouldn't have been near as loony without the brilliant scoring.. :^)