login

Author Topic: Deep space 9: Far beyond the stars.  (Read 3527 times)

Offline Zardoz!

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 0
Deep space 9: Far beyond the stars.
« on: January 30, 2008, 12:14:54 AM »
I just caught the repeat of this and loved it, it reminded me why DS9 was the best of the nextgen setting series.
Everyone who believes in justice, racial equality and free speech should support Duane "the Dog" Chapman and boycott anyone who takes action against him.

Offline Blueguy

• Schnappi Supporter
Re: Deep space 9: Far beyond the stars.
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2008, 05:20:49 AM »
Agreed.  Loved DS9. 

Offline Sideswipe

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 2052
  • Look at me!!
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2008, 05:43:07 AM »
Yeah, Far Beyond the Stars is a fantastic episode.  I also really liked, In the Pale Moonlight.  Shows why Sisko is probably the best Captain.  He has his integrity and his morals, but he is willing to put them aside to get shit done.  He has the guts to get it done and thick enough skin that he won't let it haunt him for the rest of his life.  That the kind of character I like, espicially in war, you have to do things that you dont want to, or are morally questionable if the outcome could help end the fighting and save lives.

I was bieng threated with death by wolf raping before it was cool!.

Doctor Who?

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2008, 08:00:58 AM »
I have never understood why people always compare DS9 and B5.  They both take place on a space station but that is where similarities end,they are two difforant shows and they are both good in their own way.

On average I found the acting in Ds9 to be better then on B5(Please don't think I am knocking B5 I am a huge B5 fan),both shows helped take their brands of sci-fi in places it had never gone before.

As for Far beyond the stars I taped it last night off of Spike and I will have to let you know what I think.  I saw it back when i was a kid and was waking up and 5 in the morning on Saturdays to tape the show,but as a kid it freaked me out and I didn't keep the tape.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2666
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2008, 11:29:35 AM »
Everyone has different tastes, I never thought DS9 got into a groove, a few good episodes here and there but too many bad ones.  They really shot themselves in the foot when they put the dominion on the other side of the wormhole, instead of a steady stream of  interesting ships and characters coming and going we got season after season of war....  I guess that was my beef with DS9, too much war.  Same problem with Voyager, they were supposed to be making a bee line for home but they filled entire seasons with conflicts with the same enemies, the show was good when they were on the move every week like they were in the last season. 

The obsession with long story arcs has killed many shows, it's fine for shows that are set from the start to have a beginning, middle , and end, (B5, BSG, even Lost)  but for shows that are supposed to be ongoing / open-ended they always seem to hurt the show if they go on for more than 2 or 3 episodes.

Doctor Who?

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2008, 11:46:48 AM »
I always thought that from season 3 on DS9 was in the groove.

I can only think of a handful of episodes that i would call bad.

For me the war stories on DS9 worked becouse it was the first time the ideals of the federation had ever been chalanged,and you saw that the Federation wasn't some perfect place run by perfect people who never made mistakes.

Also i loved all the characters.

I loved the plot arcs becouse they kept me on the edge of my seat week after week and you knew that every event was going to affect the other events some how.

As for Far beyond the stars I found it to be  trite,but it was fun trite.

It was neat seeing the crew out of make up,the cast seemed to be having good time,and it was nice to get off the station and into a period for a change.  i enjoyed it.

7.5/10.

Offline RobtheBarbarian

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 8
  • Snarl!
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2008, 11:49:42 AM »
Kira's...well, everything about Kira.

Thank you. She ruined every episode she was in for more than 5 minutes.

Offline DrForester

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked: 1
  • You Read It, You Can't Unread it
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2008, 08:24:46 PM »
I liked this episode until I learned that the producer wanted to make Benny's world the real world for DS9's finale.
You Read It, You Can't Un-Read It

Offline Zardoz!

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2008, 08:26:27 PM »
Well, I liked a lot of the way the ep showed the truth about how pulp SF mags got done in the 50's, and the way it showed a lot of the cast out of alien makeup.

Dammit, I wish it had had andrew robinson in it, I liked Mr. garak....

BTW, since we're all having a nice enjoyable discussion re DS9, how about favorite characters?

I liked Odo, Quark and Mr. Garak. I think that gul dukat was a great villain, right up there with Skorpious from Frrscape.
Everyone who believes in justice, racial equality and free speech should support Duane "the Dog" Chapman and boycott anyone who takes action against him.

Offline Zardoz!

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2008, 08:28:16 PM »
I liked this episode until I learned that the producer wanted to make Benny's world the real world for DS9's finale.

Since DS9 tied into TNG and the jeri ryan tits, ass and attitude hour, and even tied into TOS, it would have to mean the entire trek universe was benny's dream too.

Sorry, Gene Roddenberry came up with it.

Offline sarcasm_made_Easy

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 15
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2008, 08:51:45 PM »
Im in total agreement with side.  Those are two great episodes, ESPECIALLY pale moonlight.  One of the reasons i think me and side are in such agreement is that we have served. side in the army and i in the air force.  Sisko essentially reminds me of everything that a commander in the real military is supposed to be. tough unrelenting in charge, but gains the respect of his men and his officers, and will not put up with crap from the enemy (or even a neutral) if itll cost his men, however he is willing to send his men into danger, because he expects sthem to be soldiers (shipwrecked is a great episode of that). 

It only seems like cliches to so many people because they have no real world experience with it.  We were soldiers fits this bill, it could totally be called cliche, but that was based on a real commander who really accomplished all those things. 

In a choice between us and them, THERE IS NO CHOICE  -  Sisko. 

Doctor Who?

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2008, 09:27:43 PM »
Im in total agreement with side.  Those are two great episodes, ESPECIALLY pale moonlight.  One of the reasons i think me and side are in such agreement is that we have served. side in the army and i in the air force.  Sisko essentially reminds me of everything that a commander in the real military is supposed to be. tough unrelenting in charge, but gains the respect of his men and his officers, and will not put up with crap from the enemy (or even a neutral) if itll cost his men, however he is willing to send his men into danger, because he expects sthem to be soldiers (shipwrecked is a great episode of that). 

It only seems like cliches to so many people because they have no real world experience with it.  We were soldiers fits this bill, it could totally be called cliche, but that was based on a real commander who really accomplished all those things. 

In a choice between us and them, THERE IS NO CHOICE  -  Sisko. 

dude you just put down why Sisko is my favorite captain from any sci-fi show.  He is always in charge.

I was up set that we didn't get to see Garek out of make up too,but hey we will always have Dirty Harry for that.

The first time i watch this episode i thought they where going to end all of Star trek,I was glad to get the end of the episode and see that that wasn't the case.

I have a hard time picking a favorite character,but if I had to pick i would say O'Brion.

• Compsognathus
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2008, 09:55:03 AM »
garek is my fav

• Compsognathus
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2008, 10:05:21 AM »
fair enough but while you are judging on second hand info we are judging on first hand. 

Offline Sideswipe

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 2052
  • Look at me!!
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2008, 10:53:32 AM »
well it my be cliche, and it may not make interesting television for some people, but the simple fact is it happens, people freeze up.  I've seen it happen myself, in combat as well as training.  Combat is choatic and terrifying, people get paralyzed because if they screw up they could kill someone, or themselves. 

I was bieng threated with death by wolf raping before it was cool!.