login

Author Topic: Breaking bad, you watching it?  (Read 87700 times)

Offline modelmeg

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 124
Re: Breaking bad, you watching it?
« Reply #870 on: October 01, 2013, 07:44:14 PM »
Just coming in here to say that I thought the finale was perfect. I've watched A LOT of tv shows and rarely have I found a finale as satisfying as that. The Six Feet Under finale is probably on par. It ripped my fucking heart out. But the show itself had a lot more bumps than Breaking Bad. The entire experience of Breaking Bad was satisfying in a way that television rarely is. It was like watching an extra long movie.

Offline TheUnabeefer

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 937
  • I am a flying cow... worship me or DIE!!!
    • The Unabeefer Beefs
« Reply #871 on: October 01, 2013, 07:52:21 PM »
Just coming in here to say that I thought the finale was perfect. I've watched A LOT of tv shows and rarely have I found a finale as satisfying as that. The Six Feet Under finale is probably on par. It ripped my fucking heart out. But the show itself had a lot more bumps than Breaking Bad. The entire experience of Breaking Bad was satisfying in a way that television rarely is. It was like watching an extra long movie.

You and I have a lot in common.  ;)  So yeah, how you doin'?

Have you watched Fringe?
...and there he was, reigning supreme at number two.  The One... The Only... The Unabeefer.

Offline Sugar Ray Dodge

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 541
    • Utah Graphics World
« Reply #872 on: October 01, 2013, 08:10:10 PM »
I think they played it safe and very specifically chose not to throw us any crazy curveballs, as those kinds of endings to shows have had disastrous consequences on the show's legacy with it's fanbase in the last ten years. Lost (who's ending that I decided I liked after about two weeks), Battlestar Galactica (which was very polarizing) and The Sopranos and Star Trek: Enterprise (which were almost universally condemned as horrible ideas) are examples.

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 4402
  • You're all invited to my bunga bunga party!
« Reply #873 on: October 02, 2013, 06:14:18 AM »
And the music at the end was perfect.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/XiY0hZ5YKPY" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/XiY0hZ5YKPY</a>

(You're the best, gofly, thanks.)
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 06:20:00 AM by wurwolf »
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 7117
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #874 on: October 02, 2013, 06:15:48 AM »
(YouTube changed the code and I don't know how to embed videos any more.)

replace the "watch?v=" with "v/" and throw some [flash=x,y] tags around it.
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #875 on: October 02, 2013, 06:20:36 AM »
(YouTube changed the code and I don't know how to embed videos any more.)

replace the "watch?v=" with "v/" and throw some [flash=x,y] tags around it.

Wow, those YouTube assholes got tricky when I wasn't looking. Thanks.
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Offline modelmeg

• Schnappi Supporter
« Reply #876 on: October 02, 2013, 03:03:36 PM »

Have you watched Fringe?

I watched up to the middle of the second season. I liked it but some of it was hitting too close to home at the time and I decided to stop. I'll probably come back to it at some point.

Offline TheUnabeefer

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 937
  • I am a flying cow... worship me or DIE!!!
    • The Unabeefer Beefs
« Reply #877 on: October 02, 2013, 03:42:05 PM »

Have you watched Fringe?

I watched up to the middle of the second season. I liked it but some of it was hitting too close to home at the time and I decided to stop. I'll probably come back to it at some point.

That's why I had to stop watching Mad Men after season 3.
...and there he was, reigning supreme at number two.  The One... The Only... The Unabeefer.

Offline Thrifty Version II

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 556
  • Now with 30% Less Fat!
« Reply #878 on: October 02, 2013, 03:45:26 PM »
I don't like that Walt was about to get his way with the money by coercing Gretchen and Elliott into laundering his drug money.

Offline lassieface

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 250
  • Stuff is fun n' stuff!
    • Striped Tea Cup
« Reply #879 on: October 02, 2013, 09:10:43 PM »
There is no way anyone could have written a better ending than that. Just outstanding from start to finish. Now my life is empty.

Offline modelmeg

• Schnappi Supporter
« Reply #880 on: October 02, 2013, 10:02:52 PM »
There is no way anyone could have written a better ending than that. Just outstanding from start to finish. Now my life is empty.

Ahh, the vast emptiness after finishing a show you've been watching for a while. There's always a sense of "Okay, what the fuck do I do with my time now?"

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #881 on: October 03, 2013, 02:51:05 AM »

Ahh, the vast emptiness after finishing a show you've been watching for a while. There's always a sense of "Okay, what the fuck do I do with my time now?"

I have all 62 episodes on my receiver thanks to their recast of them all last week.    I'm covered.

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #882 on: October 03, 2013, 08:24:24 AM »
This was in the comments section of the AV Club review of "Felina", and I pretty much agree with it in regards to Walt winning or getting his way at the end:

About Walt winning: I saw something similar elsewhere in the thread which said at the end, "For Walter White, crime DID pay". But the poster only picked out the obvious things that Walt got during the finale - he took down the Aryans, he manipulated the Schwartzes into giving his money to his family, and by doing that he manipulated his family into receiving the money they did not want.

BUT, my epigraph to "For Walter White, crime DID pay" is, "but it did not pay nearly enough". Think of everything Walt has lost during the entire run of this series - his family's love, respect, and presence; his legacy; his humanity, until the very end when he is able to reclaim a shred of it; his good name - his son is doubly-saddled with notoriety now; even those who appreciated his scientific talents are all gone and forgotten except for Jesse, who will never sing the praises of Walt's genius.

So I don't see this finale as redeeming Walter White in an "unfair" way. He was allowed just as much redemption as he deserved. He did get *some* of what he wanted, at the end, but only after giving up what he fought all through the series to gain and keep. His pride and his feeling of being alive, of being good at something and recognized for it.
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #883 on: October 03, 2013, 08:27:12 AM »
Also, thought I'd share this for funsies. It's a Breaking Bad blog, features a lot of neat fan art and gif sets.

http://heisenbergchronicles.tumblr.com/
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Offline Sugar Ray Dodge

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 541
    • Utah Graphics World
« Reply #884 on: October 03, 2013, 09:23:34 AM »
How did they get that baby to act so well and say Mamama? That was prooty dang good if you ask me.