login

Author Topic: Breaking bad, you watching it?  (Read 87926 times)

Offline Thrifty Version II

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 556
  • Now with 30% Less Fat!
Re: Breaking bad, you watching it?
« Reply #660 on: September 16, 2013, 06:04:26 PM »
I'm fairly certain that Walt is going to be shooting up the Aryan Nation, and Jesse will most likely be standing beside him as he does it. I'm still holding out hope that Walt gets his family back, gets his money back and lives happily ever after. I want him to win. After the devastating losses of Ozymandias, it doesn't look like he'll be able to get any of it back, which would make it all the more awesome when he comes out on top and wins.
You seriously need to go back and watch the first 8 episodes of the season (broadcast last year) if you're sympathizing with Walt or rooting for him.

I have. I stand by my statement.
No, I meant the first 8 episodes of the season of THIS show.

Offline Raven

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 177
  • Nevermore...
« Reply #661 on: September 16, 2013, 06:23:27 PM »
Somebody on Reddit pointed out that Walt technically dug Hank's grave. I absolutely loved how they officially took everything away from Walt this episode. His money, his family, Jesse: it's all gone. Which leaves me wondering why he comes back.

I'm guessing that the feds somehow get onto the meth crew and they come after the family when they can't find Walt.  Either that or Skyler gets publically humiliated and charged for her involvement and that brings him out of hiding.

Offline Sugar Ray Dodge

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 541
    • Utah Graphics World
« Reply #662 on: September 16, 2013, 06:25:04 PM »
I'm fairly certain that Walt is going to be shooting up the Aryan Nation, and Jesse will most likely be standing beside him as he does it. I'm still holding out hope that Walt gets his family back, gets his money back and lives happily ever after. I want him to win. After the devastating losses of Ozymandias, it doesn't look like he'll be able to get any of it back, which would make it all the more awesome when he comes out on top and wins.
You seriously need to go back and watch the first 8 episodes of the season (broadcast last year) if you're sympathizing with Walt or rooting for him.

I have. I stand by my statement.
No, I meant the first 8 episodes of the season of THIS show.

We are talking about Breaking Bad, right? The show where Bryan Cranston pwns everybody who crosses him? If THAT'S the show we're talking about, then yes, we're on the same page. Look, I just want the show to be awesome, that's all. And the show is at it's awesomest when Heisenberg wins. That really is all I'm saying.

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 4402
  • You're all invited to my bunga bunga party!
« Reply #663 on: September 16, 2013, 06:25:54 PM »
I read a lot of reviews and comments on Breaking Bad (the AV Club's review comments thread is surprisingly smart) and I find it amusing that there has been no mention of who is wearing what color in this episode. Usually that's one of the most discussed topics on this show, but so much balls out hardcore shit happened this time around that character color discussion has been shelved.

Also this, which was taken on the last day of shooting, broke my heart just a little.

Bonhead #2
fs!!

Offline Sugar Ray Dodge

• Not Hurt By Pain
    • Utah Graphics World
« Reply #664 on: September 16, 2013, 06:27:27 PM »
Somebody on Reddit pointed out that Walt technically dug Hank's grave. I absolutely loved how they officially took everything away from Walt this episode. His money, his family, Jesse: it's all gone. Which leaves me wondering why he comes back.

I'm guessing that the feds somehow get onto the meth crew and they come after the family when they can't find Walt.  Either that or Skyler gets publically humiliated and charged for her involvement and that brings him out of hiding.

I, too, have been wondering what the path to the finale is from here. It'll probably be something none of us thought of, because I sure as hell didn't think Hank was gonna die last night. But this theory is pretty solid.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5881
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #665 on: September 16, 2013, 06:28:26 PM »
So much to comment on.

Though I disagree with Sugar Ray (the face that SRD just unironically used the "word" "pwns" and doesn't seem to understand that this show is a TRAGEDY is evidence enough of that), I totally understand rooting for a character.  It means you're invested in them and are concerned for them.  I can think of cases of otherwise flawed movies, comics and shows where the show's ability to make me root for a character has saved otherwise shoddy story-telling, or at least has kept me with it long enough that I can't simply dismiss it.  I don't want to see Walt come up on top now (and he certainly hasn't), but when he was going head to head with Walt, I wanted to see him overcome his weaknesses and pull it together to beat Gus.  And it wasn't even because I disliked Gus (he's terrifying, but he's certainly a charismatic villain and had more of a head on his shoulders than the erratic yet brilliant Walt), but rather I wanted to see Walt accomplish the impossible.

I will NEVER get the anti-Skyler crowd, unless it's also because they feel the same way about Walt times 10.  Skyler, especially in seasons 3 and 4 was possibly the show's most sympathetic character, even when turning bad.  She also was more even headed than Walter, focusing on keeping their stories consistent and trying to make this awful thing laid on her family's doorstep work.  It's like people are upset that someone is questioning their husband who is a criminal, a liar and a bully.  I usually don't want to generalize so I apologize in advance, but I get the feeling that a lot of the anti-Skyler people have some really warped values.

As for Todd's motivation: he likes Lydia, but the thing about Todd is, ironically, he's sort of Walt's model student.  He's not smart (until recently) and he's kind of a screw up but he's also loyal as a puppy (in his own messed up way) and while Walt was kind of lukewarm on the guy personally, he inspired Todd to apply himself.  He's not a model student in a straight A sense, but he is trying to overcome his weaknesses and now the meth business is all about pride for him.  He probably didn't do well in school and he probably wasn't so great at crime (at least compared to his colleges), so he now has something he can feel proud of.

I love that he went from a character who was designed to be hated by the fans, to a character who sort of step out from his mentor's shadow to be his own man (of course, he did steal a bit of the shadow for himself.  Talk about a fucked up version of "Study Group").  He reminds me of a comic called Sleeper.  The premise of Sleeper is about a secret agent who "defects" to go undercover in a super-villain syndicate.  He starts working with a guy called Pitbull who has no powers but is a Wolverine-type scrapper.  Anyway, when Pitbull finds that the main character's ex-wife is on a mission, he kidnaps her and delivers her to the protagonists doorstep as a gift.  Like a pitbull, he's violent, mean, loyal and just wants to be liked.  I think we are going to find the Todd and Lydia relationship go a similar path: Todd's not going to figure out that Lydia isn't interested in such a dangerous man, but Todd's not going to get it, thinking "didn't you want this?  Aren't I helping you?"  I don't think he is going to turn that into wanting to hurt Lydia.  I think he likes her too much.

BTW, I think that Raven said that there were very few really unhappy endings to TV series.  I can think a good number, even if you don't count shows that ended on cliffhangers.

So here are my three predictions:

1. Walt goes and helps Jesse, gets a small (very small) measure of redemption and dies.  Might not be as hopeful an ending as it sounds and it mind remind us that despite that measure, he is responsible for so much horror.

2.  Walt attempts redemption and fails (like maybe Jesse has been dead quite some time and Todd actually figured out the formula, or Jesse is not so forgiving)

3. We assume Walt is trying to save Jessie, but he actually wants to kill him.  I don't quite buy that, despite his current hate of him, since I also feel that Walt actually cares for Jessie or at least did.  Then again, it could be a brilliant fake out and his real desire to take out Jessie to be seeded in the last two episodes.

But my main theory is the first one.  I also have this theory: One day, one of the Aryans drop dead.  Later Walt approaches the Aryans and tries to bargain for Jesse.  They agree to a cook or something, simply because the cooks are so iconic to the show, I refuse to believe there won't be one more montage.  Anyway, it turns out there is no negotiating with these guys.  But Walt learned that already from Hank.  Walt stalls and suddenly everyone starts dropping dead (or at least the main guys).  Walt played a long game.  Ricin can take about a week to work.  Walt has actually been in town for a while.  He got a job as a dishwasher in a diner the Aryan's frequent and poisoned them a long while before coming in.  From then Walt either dies saving Jesse or they both make it and Jesse is the last guy to watch Walt dies... and then whispers to him "I will never forgive you."

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 7121
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #666 on: September 16, 2013, 06:37:06 PM »
there's still time for baby-meth-kingpin*. that's what i'm hoping for.

* now that i think about it, i'm not sure which hyphen i want to keep.
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #667 on: September 16, 2013, 06:38:06 PM »
Baby-Meth!  The Meth for Babies!  At least they won't worry about losing their teeth.

Offline Raven

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Nevermore...
« Reply #668 on: September 16, 2013, 06:44:56 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised if they end it with Walt getting away with everything but having the Walt Jr. get killed.  Walt would be a free man but Skyler and Walt would have to live with the death of the only purely good person in the series(now that Gomez is gone anyway) weighing on them and taking away a main part of the family Walt did this for.  If this is a tragedy in it's truest form then it would fit to have Walt lose the one thing that was most important to him when this all started, and be the cause of it.

Offline Sugar Ray Dodge

• Not Hurt By Pain
    • Utah Graphics World
« Reply #669 on: September 16, 2013, 06:45:48 PM »
I agree with everything you said except the part where I don't understand that it's supposed to be a tragedy. I know the for real deal, trust me. I'm just enjoying the show on my own terms, that's all. :)

Offline Sugar Ray Dodge

• Not Hurt By Pain
    • Utah Graphics World
« Reply #670 on: September 16, 2013, 06:47:29 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised if they end it with Walt getting away with everything but having the Walt Jr. get killed.  Walt would be a free man but Skyler and Walt would have to live with the death of the only purely good person in the series(now that Gomez is gone anyway) weighing on them and taking away a main part of the family Walt did this for.  If this is a tragedy in it's truest form then it would fit to have Walt lose the one thing that was most important to him when this all started, and be the cause of it.

I actually had this same thought about Walt Jr. I think I would be very upset if they killed him, actually.

Offline Raven

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Nevermore...
« Reply #671 on: September 16, 2013, 07:00:23 PM »
I have no clue what's going to happen from here on out but I'm betting that Hank wasn't the last main character to get killed. 

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #672 on: September 16, 2013, 07:34:26 PM »
Wait, you don't mean... BOGDAN WOLYNETZ!

NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1705
« Reply #673 on: September 16, 2013, 07:40:34 PM »
I want to agree that we will jump forward in time next episode, but there is a lot with Jesse's story line that demands more immediate attention.  So I'm not sure.  Maybe not right away.

Great episode though.  I was very much rooting against Walt all last season, that's where I felt he crossed the line.  And then I didn't much care for him this season either.  But they were smart to start the episode with the flash back.  It made me miss the old Walt a bit, and I was much more ready to feel bad for him during his phone call with Skyler.  Was happy to see he wasn't a complete monster, though I believed he was at the beginning of the call.

Offline Sugar Ray Dodge

• Not Hurt By Pain
    • Utah Graphics World
WHA?!
« Reply #674 on: September 16, 2013, 08:12:12 PM »
Wait, you don't mean... BOGDAN WOLYNETZ!

NOOOOOOOOOOO!

FUCK YOUR EYEBROWS!