Author Topic: Breaking bad, you watching it?  (Read 88026 times)

Offline Raven

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 177
  • Nevermore...
Re: Breaking bad, you watching it?
« Reply #630 on: September 16, 2013, 08:34:09 AM »
I'm pretty sure that he's still trying to protect the family but at the same time there isn't a way to tell Skylar what he's doing in code.  If he weren't crying and trying to hold it back I would completely believe everything he said about Skylar, because none of it's actually wrong, from his point of view anyway.  I think the fact that he gave Holly up almost immediately makes it clear that he still trusts Skylar with his kids despite how hate filled his speech was.

Offline Raven

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Nevermore...
« Reply #631 on: September 16, 2013, 08:37:10 AM »
Here's a question.  The real answer is "because they need a reason for Jesse to be kept alive."  And that's fine, whatever. 

But, really, if you just got 70 million dollars dropped in your lap why would you need to continue on with the highly illegal, high rate of getting busted and spending the rest of your life in prison act of cooking meth?  Especially since Uncle Hitler was just mocking the others for being greedy.  Dude, you got 70 million dollars!  You make, what, from each cook?  Half a million maybe?  There's so many ways to get busted cooking and transporting meth that I just don't see why its worth the risk at this point.

I'd be a little afraid of Lydia and her overseas buyers.  Not that they seem afraid of much, but they are just one part of the huge distribution line with some dangerous people on all fronts. 

Offline Sugar Ray Dodge

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 541
    • Utah Graphics World
« Reply #632 on: September 16, 2013, 09:00:12 AM »
Just sayin'. Getting buried alive would be super messed up. But yeah, I think Hank is definitely dead for realsy.

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 7127
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #633 on: September 16, 2013, 10:19:11 AM »
he's not dead, he moved under this dome thingy.

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3596
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #634 on: September 16, 2013, 12:24:17 PM »
Walt knew that the cops were listening, and everything he said was just to protect Skylar.  He wants the cops to think that he forced her to help him and that she had no choice.  He tried to sound as horrible as possible to so that the cops would think that he was a monster, and that Skylar was terrified of him.  Skylar knew what he was doing.  You could see the look of gratitude on her face when she realized it.

Todd just wants to get the cook right.  He takes pride in it, and wants to be able to tell Lydia that he fixed it.

Offline Sugar Ray Dodge

• Not Hurt By Pain
    • Utah Graphics World
« Reply #635 on: September 16, 2013, 02:08:51 PM »
I'm fairly certain that Walt is going to be shooting up the Aryan Nation, and Jesse will most likely be standing beside him as he does it. I'm still holding out hope that Walt gets his family back, gets his money back and lives happily ever after. I want him to win. After the devastating losses of Ozymandias, it doesn't look like he'll be able to get any of it back, which would make it all the more awesome when he comes out on top and wins.

Offline Thrifty Version II

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 556
  • Now with 30% Less Fat!
« Reply #636 on: September 16, 2013, 02:10:43 PM »
I'm fairly certain that Walt is going to be shooting up the Aryan Nation, and Jesse will most likely be standing beside him as he does it. I'm still holding out hope that Walt gets his family back, gets his money back and lives happily ever after. I want him to win. After the devastating losses of Ozymandias, it doesn't look like he'll be able to get any of it back, which would make it all the more awesome when he comes out on top and wins.
You seriously need to go back and watch the first 8 episodes of the season (broadcast last year) if you're sympathizing with Walt or rooting for him.

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
« Reply #637 on: September 16, 2013, 02:20:03 PM »
... so that the cops would think that he was a monster, and that Skylar was terrified of him.

but he is and she was.
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline Sugar Ray Dodge

• Not Hurt By Pain
    • Utah Graphics World
« Reply #638 on: September 16, 2013, 02:27:33 PM »
You seriously need to go back and watch the first 8 episodes of the season (broadcast last year) if you're sympathizing with Walt or rooting for him.

I have. I stand by my statement.

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
« Reply #639 on: September 16, 2013, 02:32:22 PM »

then you're a terrible human being.
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline modelmeg

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 124
« Reply #640 on: September 16, 2013, 02:32:41 PM »
Walt is a villain now. I remember how sad I was when I realized that he was transforming from anti-hero into full on villain. I loved the old Walt. But that's the beauty of this show. You go on this journey into complete degradation with the main fucking character. How many other shows are actually bold enough to make you go from rooting into loathing the main character? And he's supposed to be loathed by now. I don't understand how some people are still rooting for him just like I don't understand how people can hate Skyler (really? The poor woman) or Jesse (yeah, he ratted. GOOD!) I mean, come on guys, just how many lives has Walt ruined? If you need two scenes that demonstrate just what a monster he's become, here they are:

1. Going to visit Andrea and Brock. The way he acted. The complete front of sincerity and civility as he stood in the kitchen of this young mother's house and covertly threatened their lives. All of this as he stood next to the child he had poisoned.

2. After revealing Jesse's whereabouts to the Nazis, he goes up to him and says the only thing that could destroy Jesse more than he already is. He could have prevented Jane's death and he didn't. Do you know why he said that? One part because he felt betrayed (HA!) and another part because he blamed Jesse for Hank's death. Walt never takes the blame. To him, everything he's done has been justified. That's the scary part.

This hour of television was one of the best I've ever seen. I have to admit that I was full of so much rage at what Walt was saying to Skyler over the phone that I actually didn't pick up the fact that he was only saying those things to help exonerate her. Now that I know this, that scene gets 10x more brilliant. As much as I love a few other shows that are up for Emmys (Justified and Walton Goggins, anyone?) I really think that Breaking Bad deserves the bulk of them this year.

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 4402
  • You're all invited to my bunga bunga party!
« Reply #641 on: September 16, 2013, 02:38:55 PM »
There's a review on Vulture that addresses a lot of things, among them the phone call Walt made to Skyler (and for god's sakes it's not "Skylar" already).  It gives a pretty compelling argument for the fact that this was done specifically to protect her and absolve her from wrong-doing in the eyes of the feds. It wasn't exactly a performance, as we've seen happen with this character -- Walt didn't sit down and rehearse this before calling her, as he did earlier in the episode -- but it was more of a split personality type of thing:

The gist: I do not believe, as some are already speculating, that when Walter spews all that venom at Skyler while the feds and Marie and Walt, Jr. listen in, that it’s “really” Walt pretending to be Heisenberg — i.e. that it’s all some big fake-out. I think that’s Heisenberg speaking. But I think it’s Heisenberg speaking on Walt’s behalf. I think this might be one of those rare moments on Breaking Bad — the rescue of Jesse at the end of “Full Measures” being another — where Walter wants to do something that Walter is just not capable of doing, something chaotic and frightening but ultimately good, and Heisenberg steps up to make it happen.

I find it fascinating how divided the fans are on the character of Walter White. For some people, he crossed the line when he allowed Jane to die. For others, it was when he uttered the words, "Stay out of my territory." Others when he killed Gus, or poisoned Brock, or killed Mike, or any number of heinous acts he's done. And some are still rooting for him. Imagine if, at the beginning of the series, we knew everything about him that we know now, the despicable acts that mild-mannered Walter White will commit. Nope, we could all relate to him -- who hasn't had a shitty boss, who doesn't make enough money to cover their bills, who doesn't have something in their past that rankles them still? I think it's that relatability in the beginning of the series that pulled us in as far as the character is concerned, and at every horrible step of the way, we've managed to forgive him and justify his actions until the point where we have to get off the Walter White/Heisenberg love train and accept that he's become an irredeemable monster.

I also have never understood the fan vitriol that gets sent Skyler's way; she's not exactly blameless in any of this but I have always seen her as a woman caught in a tidal wave, grasping for anything that will keep her from being swept out to sea. The review also had this to say:

I love how this scene is comprised mainly of the sorts of things that Skyler haters have been saying on message boards and in the comments sections of recaps since Breaking Bad debuted in 2008. It’s as if the show is using these same sentiments to rebut them: Walter’s voice is deeper and more monstrous, his tone more venomously cruel, than in any other exchange between him and Skyler. It takes the vicarious pleasure that some viewers take in the sight of milquetoast Walter White becoming The One Who Knocks and curdles it, makes it ugly, poisonous — as if the show is saying, “This is what you wanted, isn’t it? Here you go. Choke on it.”

Anyway, it's a good review, so here's the link: http://www.vulture.com/2013/09/breaking-bad-recap-season-5-hank-dies-ozymandias.html

Offline Sugar Ray Dodge

• Not Hurt By Pain
    • Utah Graphics World
« Reply #642 on: September 16, 2013, 03:00:35 PM »

then you're a terrible human being.

Yes, I agree, my hair is gorgeous, isn't it? It's a lot of work somedays, but you gotta do what you gotta do when you're as pretty as I am. Thanks for your kind words.

Offline JimJ

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 103
« Reply #643 on: September 16, 2013, 03:01:24 PM »
I'm rooting for Walt in the sense that I hope he can come back and put things right.  Take out Uncle Jack and creepy fucking Todd and save Jesse.  Then I want Jesse to shoot Walt in the fucking face.

Offline Raven

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Nevermore...
« Reply #644 on: September 16, 2013, 03:06:55 PM »
I don't get the sentiment of rooting for anyone.  I just want to be shown an interesting story and letting the creators tell the story they want to tell.