Author Topic: As much as I love Rifftrax...  (Read 13201 times)

Offline Steve T

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked: 0
As much as I love Rifftrax...
« on: January 23, 2008, 10:41:49 AM »
...wasn't anybody else disappointed that this was so much of a retread of the Nelson sole commentary?

Didn't really feel like it was added value.

Maybe there should've been a disclaimer  "80% recycled material!"

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2386
    • Ronin Fox Trax
Re: As much as I love Rifftrax...
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 10:51:29 AM »
There was enough new material and modified material to keep me from being disappointed.  I think it was an improvement due to the delivery from all three riffers.
RoninFoxTrax Presents Rocky

gum.co/RFTrocky

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3212
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 10:55:14 AM »
I'd watched the commentary originally and I don't remember ANY of the jokes. I'm sure some were repeats, but the delivery and chemistry and the zeal with which each line was delivered made it seem new.

Offline Junkyard

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 5
  • Steampunk Monster Hunter
    • Riff Raff Theater
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 12:54:10 PM »
Yeah, this one didn't work for me. I knew so many of the jokes being said, hearing them slightly re-done just tripped me up as i listened. I didn't get all the way through, I'm afraid.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3897
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2008, 12:58:04 PM »
Yeah, That Bugged me about this one.
There were A Lot of repeats!
I'll count them to be sure, but there were too many..
« Last Edit: January 23, 2008, 04:18:47 PM by RVR II »

Offline David

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 48
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2008, 04:16:09 PM »
Well I'm glad they did it. I don't feel so much like I missed out on the live show.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2008, 09:16:00 PM »
OK. My results have been tallied:

I captured the Mike Nelson commentary version through Pinnacle, and then overlayed the new Rifftrax over it to compare...
I counted approx 186 repeats (plus or minus a few) used from the original Mike Nelson commentary to the new RiffTrax version just released here! >:(

I'm sorry, but wasn't there room for new riff material to be created this time around instead of using the exact same lines; almost Entirely word for word on the new Rifftrax??
Yes, it seemed funnier having all 3 participating on it, and yes there was new material inputed, but repeating lines this many times seemed a bit much to me.

Offline Sheik Yerbouti

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2008, 10:47:45 PM »
I counted approx 186 repeats (plus or minus a few) used from the original Mike Nelson commentary to the new RiffTrax version just released here! >:(

Wow, you counted all of them?  Seriously?  I was disappointed when I heard that so much of Mike's original commentary had been reused.  Mainly because I didn't think it was all that funny.  But I watched about a half hour of the new version before going to work and I think it's a huge improvement over the old version all the same.  Spreading the jokes around helps and they were delivered so much better than in the first version.  I'd like to see them redo a couple of other Mike solo efforts.  Mainly Over The Top and Roadhouse.  Double dipping is kinda cheesy but those two tracks were very funny and I bet they would be hilarious with all three riffers.

Offline izatright

• Sparkles in Sunlight
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2008, 12:38:23 AM »
Well, the original solo riff was pretty funny.  I LIKED it.  Some of the jokes were just perfect.  If they changed it, it'd kind of be lame.  I'm satisfied just having all three of them at it.  In other words, similar script, better delivery (because of the trio's chemistry).  That was $4 well spent!

Honestly, though, I had a hard time watching the movie again so close to the first time I saw it.  I think that's the original content more than the similarity of the riffing.  I've seen the film at least 3 times.  That's two times too many.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2008, 02:25:38 AM by izatright »

Offline Steve T

• Sparkles in Sunlight
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2008, 01:42:22 AM »
OK. My results have been tallied:

I captured the Mike Nelson commentary version through Pinnacle, and then overlayed the new Rifftrax over it to compare...

Wow, you have way too much free time!  :)

But I'm glad someone did it. 

I appreciate that writing a Rifftrax from scratch is hard work, and avoiding riffs you did on the same film earlier must be VERY hard work.  I don't have a problem with recycling for a live show - heck, most Broadway and West End musicals do exactly that.

But I don't think this should've been charged full whack ($3.99) or advertised as "new, vastly improved".  Very little writing to do, even the 3-way interplay had already been polished for the show, and the beloved parent Bob Honcho (sorry, mind wandered, I mean "Legend Films") get some ancillary sales out of this.

I appreciate you sell at what the market will bear, but for this consumer, this did feel like an overcharge.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2008, 04:01:26 AM »
Well I watched it twice last night just to be sure I was hearing so many repeats and wanted to be sure I had a correct count (or close enough of a count).

Again, I liked it better with all 3 this time around and there was a lot of new material added, and using some of the original material is fine, But using That Much original material is not what I was expecting and that did disappoint me to say the least :-\

Take it as Constructive Criticism.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2008, 07:33:37 AM by RVR II »

Offline Natureboy

• Big Montana
  • Intelligent, Sensational
    • Easy Talk Cafe
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2008, 11:52:47 AM »
The repeat that really stuck out was Mike's Bela Lugosi heroin jokes.  Having listened to both, that joke got really old.  Aside from that, the 3 riffer addition was a lot better.

Offline Steve T

• Sparkles in Sunlight
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2008, 03:05:04 PM »
Yep, I'm not disputing that the three riffers is better than one.

The other thing I noticed was more alien-leader-is-gay jokes, which work better with three people being stupid with each other.  With a sole commentator it comes across as a little homophobic.

Offline Petey Wheatstraw

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • "SMOG INSPECTION!"
    • Mystic Studios Productions
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2008, 05:24:25 PM »
I felt that although a lot of jokes were repeated, the movie certainly moved faster with three people riffing it. :clap:

I'd like to see them redo a couple of other Mike solo efforts.  Mainly Over The Top and Roadhouse.  Double dipping is kinda cheesy but those two tracks were very funny and I bet they would be hilarious with all three riffers.

Like I said before, Carnival of Souls. The movie is very slow and Mike's commentary isn't as nearly as funny as it could have been. Bill and Kevin's presence could add a lot to the commentary. This time around, there could be a lot more new jokes, since much of the original Carnival commentary was in "DVD commentary" form rather than RiffTrax/MST3K form.
This iRiff will only be on sale for another few hours. Get it while it's cheap!

Offline Steve T

• Sparkles in Sunlight
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2008, 05:32:44 PM »
Although I agree the older Legend Films commentaries could be improved by a Mike/Kevin/Bill riff-fest, I'd rather see them concentrate on new material and new (i.e. unriffed) films. 

And as I said earlier in the thread, I think it's very hard work to redo a commentary while coming up with all-new material.  It's probably easier to do a Batman and Robin than to do a Carnival of Souls without repeat riffs.