Author Topic: What do you think of MP3 pricing?  (Read 1244 times)

Offline bratpop

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 2
  • Riff everything.
What do you think of MP3 pricing?
« on: March 01, 2008, 08:40:46 PM »
Is it good, bad, insultingly arbitrary? Should albums be sold by the minute and not by the song? Should you have to pay a dollar for a one minute track, the same as a seven minute track? Should it even be legal to sell the 24-second "Vincent Price Excerpt From Thriller Voice-Over Session" for 99 cents?

Offline AmandaGal

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 14
  • Every new beginning starts with an end
    • Little Rock Information
Re: What do you think of MP3 pricing?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2008, 02:24:58 AM »
I think the pricing is fine.  I've been using Amazon lately. 

I download a bunch of classical music off of iTunes and I can't even play it at work because my work computer blocks iTunes from "registering."  That was the last straw for me and iTunes.  I paid for the stuff, I was trying to play it off my own stupid iPod that was hooked up to the computer.  There's no reason I shouldn't be able to.  I burned it to a CD and ripped it but that was a pain in the butt (you have to rename all the tracks and import the album art, etc).  Considering if I had gone to a P2P client and downloaded the same songs, it would have been already in mp3 format and already named and sorted, that's ridiculous. 

Way to make it easier to pirate than to download legally.  I've had the same problem before but this time I noticed Amazon had the same thing I downloaded with no DRM.  I don't even know why I used iTunes.  I'll never buy anything from them again. I'll buy a CD and rip it first.
�mike5150� how tall are you?.....in gallons?

Offline bettertomorrowamy

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 12
  • Get this lazy Manc twat an Emmy!
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2008, 04:34:30 AM »
I'm a Mac user and I hardly use iTunes to buy music.  I have bought songs that they are selling without the DRM and have a higher bit rate.  If they move down the same path as Amazon, I will buy from iTunes a lot more.  It's mainly the labels screwing themselves.

Part of the reason the songs aren't sold any lower than .99 cents is because Credit Card companies down want the hassle, or it isn't economically feasible for music services to sell them below .99 cents because of transaction fees charged by Credit Card companies. 

This is probably why Rifftrax wants to use a subscription service.  Then we could pay monthly for our funny heroin, instead of having a series of small transactions that eat at their profit.
On timeout

Offline Wheaty Petestraw

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2008, 06:54:26 PM »
I refuse to pay for mp3s, and it's insulting that corporations think we should have to pay full price for something that costs them absolutely nothing to make. Oh, sure, take my $12 for that album and don't give me a physical copy, liner notes or anything.. and make sure it's lossy; nothing but the worst for me, thanks.
my entry made my girlfriend laugh a few times, the best I can hope for really.

I'd say Whalberg definately qualifies as really good.

GLaDOS

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2008, 06:56:47 PM »
I just bought the Care Bears movie II soundtrack album on Itunes last week, it was only $9. Not bad at all.

Offline bettertomorrowamy

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 12
  • Get this lazy Manc twat an Emmy!
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2008, 08:10:11 PM »
sinner

On timeout