Author Topic: The Death of Saturday Morning Television (Yahoo! Club)  (Read 1387 times)

Offline TMC1982

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked: 0
The Death of Saturday Morning Television (Yahoo! Club)
« on: December 24, 2007, 10:10:29 PM »
http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/Death_of_Saturday_Morning_Television/

Saturday morning cartoon is the colloquial term for the animated television programming which was typically scheduled on Saturday mornings on the major American television networks from the 1960s to the 1990s.

Parents' lobby groups like Action for Children's Television appeared in the late 1960s. They voiced concerns about the presentation of violence, anti-social attitudes and stereotypes in Saturday morning cartoons. By the 1970s, these groups exercised enough influence that the TV networks felt compelled to lay down more stringent content rules for the animation houses.

Critics have complained that this proceeded to the point where the very depiction of conflict and jeopardy and the basic elements of drama and suspense were severely restricted, and the artists were left with few avenues of expression. The prohibition against the depiction of anti-social elements often prompted conformist stories, such as in the Smurfs series, where almost any individual initiative often resulted in trouble for the group and therefore had to be avoided.

However, the decline of the timeslot truly began in the mid 1980s for a variety of reasons, including:
*The rise of first run syndication animated programs, which usually had a greater artistic freedom, and looser standards
*The increasing popularity of home video
*The rise of cable TV channels like Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network

Because of FCC-mandated regulations that began in the mid-1990s, broadcast stations were forced to program a minimum of three hours of children's educational/informational ("E/I") programming.

To help their affiliates comply with the regulations, broadcast networks began to reorganize their efforts to adhere to the mandates, so its affiliates wouldn't bear the burden of scheduling the shows themselves on their own time.

Offline jewishcarpenter

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 543
  • I grow flowers so pretty they'll make you throw up
Re: The Death of Saturday Morning Television (Yahoo! Club)
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2008, 02:20:28 PM »
Yes, I recall watching Looney Tunes early in the morning which you probably wouldn't be able to see now unless you bought the Gold Edition dvd sets they have out now. We recorded a a huge amount of them onto our beta which we enjoyed until the beta died and we no longer had any means of watching our Betamax tapes.I always wondered what the hell happened to just cartoons in the morning on saturdays.

Offline gbeenie

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 415
  • Prepare to die, obviously!
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2008, 02:25:09 PM »
JC, I've got a Beta machine in the pink of health. Maybe we can figure something out (or you could just buy the box sets   :D).
"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere.
Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen."

- Conan O'Brien

Offline Rude

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 3
  • Forum Czar
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2008, 02:35:05 PM »

I don't get it... are we supposed to join the Yahoo! Group? Do they just debate whether the Power Rangers are actually more violent than Looney Tunes? Or do they just remember the good old days of cartoons made before the 1960s?

I couldn't really tell without joining, especially since the first few posts were discussing Married With Children and not any actual cartoons~  :P
"I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."<a href="http://www.divshare.com/flash/audio?myId=3942804-0e3" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.divshare.com/flash/audio?myId=3942804-0e3</a>

Offline mlcorcoran

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked: 0
  • role reversal
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2008, 11:59:00 AM »
that quote is way off! the "decline" of the saturday morning cartoon definitely did not start in the mid-80s. That was when it was at its best

Voltron
Thundercats
He-Man and the Masters of the Universe
GI Joe
Transformers
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
the Real Ghostbusters
Bravestarr

and I definitely don't think Power Rangers was any more violent than Looney Tunes. Power Rangers had a lot of kicking, punching, and laser guns, but Looney Tunes had characters falling off cliffts, getting crushed by boulders, shot, exploded, etc.

Doctor Who?

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2008, 12:34:28 PM »
I don't even think it started in the early 90s.

That is when i was watching and I had...

The Bugs Bunny and Tweety Show
Reboot
Batman
Spiderman
XMen
Star trek Deep Space Nine(They played it Saturday mornings at Five AM and I would set my alarm so I didn't miss it so it counts!)

Not a bad line up if you ask me.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3180
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2008, 12:12:20 AM »
The decline started when ABC and CBS decided to stop playing the Saturday Morning Cartoon game. Fox held the torch for a good chunk of the '90s, but then the action toon took over and the fun toon died.

Doctor Who?

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2008, 08:45:14 AM »
Oh how could I forget Beast Wars.

Yes I kind of like action toons when they are done well.

I am still upset that they took the Bugs Bunny and Tweety Show off of ABC,I remember tooning in one day and just being shocked that it wasn't there ???

Online Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5711
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2008, 09:41:20 AM »
I, too, think that you are off by about a decade on your description there. While I agree that that group had been in full force for a long time before the 80s, the cartoons in the 80s were still very violent, they just couldn't show people getting killed. That explains a lot about the old Nija Turtles and Transformers shows. Sure they were violent,but there were no real consequences to that violence.

I hated that group (and others like it) because they made such a stink about Transformers, which was my favorite show. In the live action movie, instead of the Furbie truck that got destroyed, it should have been ACTs headquarters that got destroyed. That would have been a lot better reference for all of us who were fans when the show was on.

Groups like this are a disgrace to humanity! Nothing better to do than force their beleifs on everyone else.

Invader_quirk

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2008, 07:48:38 AM »
The Tick was in the 90's, so that redeems the whole decade.