login

Author Topic: MST3K The Movie  (Read 8185 times)

Offline MSTJedi

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 604
  • In a not too distant future far, far away. . . .
    • Facebook
Re: MST3K The Movie
« Reply #60 on: May 27, 2008, 01:53:22 PM »
Meh, I still have the original DVD release and since there aren't any extras and I don't have a widescreen TV to take advantage of the anamorphic video, 5.1 surround isn't enough for me to shell out more money for something I already have.

You might want to pick it up, because you know what will happen:  when you get a widescreen TV that's when it will go out of print again.... ;D

I just did a comparison on my PC with both disks, the new transfer is a bit cleaner and has better color, side by side the older transfer looks too warm (red), and some specks or artifacts have been cleaned up.

Not sure why they didn't leave the original DTS audio, since that's what the movie used, but since the DTS signal used in theaters and the DTS signal on home video are different I guess it doesn't matter, they had to re-encode it anyway.

Yeah, that is something to think about. I'd hold out for a Special Edition release with extras and everything, but that will probably be another 10 years . . . or never.

Offline gbeenie

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 415
  • Prepare to die, obviously!
« Reply #61 on: May 31, 2008, 10:17:33 AM »
[
Not sure why they didn't leave the original DTS audio, since that's what the movie used, but since the DTS signal used in theaters and the DTS signal on home video are different I guess it doesn't matter, they had to re-encode it anyway.

Lots of films with DTS theatrical soundtracks don't have a DTS track on the home version. Since a DTS soundtrack usually means that there's a 5.1 mix, most movies just opt for the Dolby Digital.
"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere.
Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen."

- Conan O'Brien

Offline HiKeeba!

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #62 on: June 02, 2008, 11:05:03 PM »
I bought my copy of the movie about 4 days ago at Walmart. I was surprised that I found this movie at Walmart of all places, I thought that I would have to search at Best Buy to find this movie. I love this movie, it brought me back to the good ole MST3K days. This island earth can be yours if the price is right! XD

Offline GCS_contra2

• Disembaudio's Squadio
« Reply #63 on: July 06, 2008, 01:08:11 PM »
Is there any chance to petition to Mike and the creators to do a "Special Edition"? Deleted scenes, featurettes, original trailers, etc?
Yay!

Action Batch

« Reply #64 on: July 06, 2008, 01:14:43 PM »
I think that's a good question. You can submit it here if you like

Offline Plastic Self-Cleaning Duck

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 2
  • Duck!!!
« Reply #65 on: July 07, 2008, 10:49:21 AM »
Is there any chance to petition to Mike and the creators to do a "Special Edition"? Deleted scenes, featurettes, original trailers, etc?

I'd just be happy if both the people here at Rifftrax and the CT group did their own mp3 commentary we can buy...

(yeah, it would be better to have them all in one room but if we have to do it that way - like the Pythons do the commentaries for their movies either alone or in groups - better than nothing)

And did Grammarcy even bother making trailers for the movie?  I mean, they just barely did any advertising.  Kevin Murphy and Servo came to Miami and was interviewed by the Sun-Sentinel....that's why I knew it was coming to town.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2592
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #66 on: July 07, 2008, 12:00:29 PM »
And did Grammarcy even bother making trailers for the movie?  I mean, they just barely did any advertising.  Kevin Murphy and Servo came to Miami and was interviewed by the Sun-Sentinel....that's why I knew it was coming to town.

They made one, it was supposed to be on the DVD release but it's not.  Have to look at the original DVD, I thought the trailer was on that one, or maybe the VHS version, I remember seeing it on home video somewhere...

Great site with lots of info on the movie:

http://www.mst3ktemple.com/stuff-mem-tm.html
« Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 12:05:06 PM by MartyS (Gromit) »

Offline GCS_contra2

• Disembaudio's Squadio
« Reply #67 on: July 09, 2008, 07:57:21 AM »
I have a VHS somewhere (don't even know if it exists anymore) that had a trailer for the movie. Basically it started with the guys sitting down in the silhouette, with "Every Year, Hollywood makes hundreds of movies. This is one of them" Scaling up on the screen, being read by that second-rate movie announcer, Moon-shot with "The movie" under the logo, and clips from the movie with some of the funny one-liners.

It was one of the better trailers I've seen.
Yay!

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2380
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #68 on: July 09, 2008, 08:35:45 AM »
A matter of weeks after I got my dvd copy of this movie, my old VCR attempted to destroy my VHS copy.  Not sure if it is still playable, it took some time to extract it from the machine.

So again, so happy this movie got re-released.
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing