login

Author Topic: Anyone still care about Duke Nukem Forever?  (Read 10653 times)

Russell

Re: Anyone still care about Duke Nukem Forever?
« Reply #75 on: June 15, 2011, 01:35:52 AM »
The rest of the reviews however were really, really bad. I haven't seen a review from anybody who's loved the game or said it was worth waiting for after 14 damn years. As Hans Moleman would say "Gearbox, you stole 14 years of my life and I want them back!... Oh, I'd only waste them".

Offline SJP

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 204
  • Worst...avatar...ever!
« Reply #76 on: June 15, 2011, 04:20:53 PM »
I've got it.  It's very slow starting up, but I guess after hearing all the horrid, horrid reviews, I just like Duke too damn much to say anything bad about it right now.  I'm having fun, and no matter what the critics say, that's what's important to me.

I can say the first two levels are a good indication of WHY it was taking so long, though.  The beginning is almost nothing but "click here to do something goofy" things like microwaves, pool tables, toilets, Duke's throne to himself that leads to his secret lair (early on, not really a spoiler) and so on.  You can tell George Broussard was walking around going, "Yeah!  Let's put in a first person water fountain sequence!  Nobody's done that before!" without realizing that he needed to get going on the actual game.  Not stopping me from enjoying myself, but the action early on is definitely not like the "drop you into a warzone" feel that Duke 3D got dead-on right.
One Man Band Riffs.  18 riffs, over 600 served, since 2009.

Offline daltysmilth

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 45
  • This is MY Enterprise. Eat it, Abrams!
    • My Space
« Reply #77 on: June 15, 2011, 05:04:42 PM »
In the ads I've seen for it, they're using all the lines they ripped off from Army Of Darkness.  Classy.
CROW:  (Sinisterly) The Secret Government Eggo Project...
--Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie

"Jason, Chess is a game of chance."
-- My friend Shawn to my friend Jason upon being defeated at a game of Chess.

http://gh.ffshrine.org?r=112104

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2386
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #78 on: June 15, 2011, 05:24:55 PM »
In the ads I've seen for it, they're using all the lines they ripped off from Army Of Darkness.  Classy.

Well, movie theft was a huge part of Duke 3D, so I guess it works for a selling point.
RoninFoxTrax Presents Rocky

gum.co/RFTrocky

spaceforarent

« Reply #79 on: June 15, 2011, 05:29:37 PM »

Well, movie theft was a huge part of Duke 3D, so I guess it works for a selling point.
Indeed. In Forever he takes a line from The Princess Bride. I didn't know ol' Duke had it in him.