Author Topic: Thoughts?  (Read 17265 times)

Offline starfighter

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 1
Re: Thoughts?
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2006, 07:52:22 PM »
  Excellent job. My favorite line was Kevin's observation about Padme and Anni, "..in the next film, they're humpin' like monkeys."
    Which leads me to ask the hardcore Wars fans, how did they explain Annikin's ageing between Ep.1 &2 compared to Amidala remaining the same actress??  George never actually thought Jake Lloyd would grow fast enough to be in "...Clones" did he?  Did the midichlorians cause Anni to age faster???  Should I care about any of this??

Offline ScottM

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2006, 08:53:55 PM »
I feel very ambivalent toward this one.  

On the one hand it had some very incisive and deeply funny comments, the likes of which, in my opinion, have been lacking in many of the recent rifftrax.  

On the other hand, I agree with geoffwode that the commentary was often nasty, aggressive and obnoxious.  A lot of the time they seized on some rather petty flaws and hammered on them to no real comedic effect.  It seemed like they were just trying to be jerks.  

I also found disturbing the nearly 100 times they made reference to suicide during the film.  I mean, c'mon.  Yeah it's bad, but it's not that bad.  This kind of comment may have been funny on the SOL, where the premise was they were stuck in space, forced to watch these movies; but here it is just kind of sad.  And it is especially depressing if repeated ad nauseum through the course of the movie.  If you don't like the film, and can't think of anything funnier to say than "I want to die," then turn it off.  Go read a book or something.  Do something constructive...something that makes you feel good to be alive.

Also, I found this episode to be kind of disgusting.  The puking, the defecating noises, the frequent anal references; it was all a bit much for me.  Not that toilet humor can't be funny, if used in moderation.  For instance, in the MST3K episode, Riding with Death there is the comment "As soon as I get off the can, I'm gonna do something about this."  The character was sitting in such a manner that it looked like he was on the toilet.  This was particularly funny because it was making fun of the performance, and of how the director created a scene that just didn't look right.  And the toilet humor was used to great effect to point this out in an outrageous and unexpected way.  Though on the face of it it was just a crude potty joke, underneath it was subtle and complex, and very funny.  The toilet jokes in this Rifftrax, for the most part, have have no such underlying complexity.  They are puerile and unnecessary, worthy of a Married With Children episode.

In any case, despite it's rather frequent moments of brilliance, it wasn't something I would be proud to show my friends or family as representative of the kind of humor I enjoy.  Even for all its redeeming qualities, I still think it would be almost as embarrasing as rolling out an episode of South Park, or maybe one of those morning call-in shows that Mike is so fond of satirizing.

To sum up: in this Rifftrax, when Kevin and Mike were good, they were great, but when they were bad, they really made me kind of embarrassed to be watching.  Maybe I'll get out the audio editing software and delete about one-third of the comments on this one.  Then, despite some empty spaces, I think it would be pure gold.  Either way, I think I'll stay away from Rifftrax for a bit, and maybe start talking to my wife again...

Offline LadyKenobi

• Big Montana
    • BlondeChampagne
« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2006, 09:30:15 PM »
ScottM, you might want to join us in the "Were Mike and Kevin Too Harsh?" thread, where we're discussing some of these issues.

Offline Sharktopus

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 3
  • May the Porkins be with you.
« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2006, 10:23:39 PM »
  Excellent job. My favorite line was Kevin's observation about Padme and Anni, "..in the next film, they're humpin' like monkeys."
    Which leads me to ask the hardcore Wars fans, how did they explain Annikin's ageing between Ep.1 &2 compared to Amidala remaining the same actress??  George never actually thought Jake Lloyd would grow fast enough to be in "...Clones" did he?  Did the midichlorians cause Anni to age faster???  Should I care about any of this??

I'm pretty sure George never intended for Jake Lloyd to play older Anakin. But as to the age difference, excuse my while I consult the IMDb... Okay, Jake was 10 at the time the movie was released, playing 9 year old Anakin, and Natalie Portman was 17, but Padme was meant to be 14, which is believable enough in the context of the movie. Episode II picks up 10 years later, so there's no way a now 13 year old Jake Lloyd could play Anakin at 19, but a now 20 year old Natalie Portman could easily play Padme at 24. It just comes down to young women having more versatility age-wise than boys, what with the fickle ways of puberty.

IronPigeon

« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2006, 11:30:07 AM »
Well, I just watched this one last night and I have to say...this has to be my favorite so far. It was gourmet. Rifftrax at its finest. TPM got just what it deserved. To be savagely torn apart...repeatedly and with gusto. Nothing can be too harsh for this crime against humanity.

My favorite part had to be when kevin or mike commented that GL had video game marketting in mind when he wrote the pod race. This exactly what I was thinking as I watched it. It looks just like a damn video game.

That and the "Roger Rabbit redesigned by satan" line. That was pure gold.  :D

Offline Variety of Cells

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 1441
« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2006, 12:53:50 PM »
Amazing.  I loved the Henry V reference.  Finally, a riff that I can be proud to be of the few who get. 

Offline Gibborino

• Sparkles in Sunlight
« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2006, 04:15:52 PM »
My favorite lines:

Obi-Wan: Why do I sense that we've picked up another pathetic lifeform?
Kevin: Because that's all there is in this movie!

Mike: He looks like the guy the other Jedi go to when they need weed.

Mike: Of course, the Force tells him nothing about the sabotage.

Anakin's Friend: [sarcastic] Keep racing, Ani! C'mon guys, let's go play ball.
Kevin: Yes, ball is a lot cooler than high-performance driving.

Anakin: Did you come to free us?
Qui-Gon: I'm afraid not.
Kevin: Union rules and all.
Anakin: You must have. Why else would you have come here?
Mike: Eh, it's a prequel. We had no choice.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2006, 04:17:48 PM by Gibborino »

Offline Torgo's Helper

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Knew your father, I did!
« Reply #37 on: November 06, 2006, 11:13:02 AM »
This installment contains my absolute favorite running riff so far:  the increasingly insensitive Chinese stereotype voices whenever the Trade Federation guys pop up.  We were literally on the floor laughing at this by the end.  Especially once we started to anticipate it.
Think about it, won't you?

Offline macimus

• Disembaudio's Squadio
« Reply #38 on: November 06, 2006, 02:57:32 PM »
I know I'm in the minority here, but I was disappointed by this rifftrax.  Don?t get me wrong, there were definitely moments of pure comedic genius (the Gillette lightsaber reference), but I feel that these moments were few and far between.

The movie lacks plot.  We all get it.  Sure, make fun of it, but let?s see if we can go 5 minutes without hearing about it.

The acting is terrible.  But I think there?s more to riff on here than just bland commentary.  Make fun of how the characters are acting, not how obviously bad they are.

Yeah, the trade federation guys have absurd accents - just like they did at the beginning of the movie.  I remember that joke from the first time.

Once again, there were plenty of good riffs to be had in the movie, but I think there could have been so many more if less time was spent repeating jokes and simply stating the obvious cinematic flaws.

One last note:  it?s not that I think Mike and Kevin were too harsh (as another thread stipulates), I just think that they spent too much time simply talking about the movie instead of actually riffing on it.  It?s like riffing on ?Castaway? by simply commenting non-stop about the lack of dialogue ? there?s better material to be had.

Offline J-Proof

• J-Proof
  • The FBI Pays Me to Surf
« Reply #39 on: November 06, 2006, 03:02:00 PM »
I know I'm in the minority here, but I was disappointed by this rifftrax.  Don?t get me wrong, there were definitely moments of pure comedic genius (the Gillette lightsaber reference), but I feel that these moments were few and far between.

The movie lacks plot.  We all get it.  Sure, make fun of it, but let?s see if we can go 5 minutes without hearing about it.

The acting is terrible.  But I think there?s more to riff on here than just bland commentary.  Make fun of how the characters are acting, not how obviously bad they are.

Yeah, the trade federation guys have absurd accents - just like they did at the beginning of the movie.  I remember that joke from the first time.

Once again, there were plenty of good riffs to be had in the movie, but I think there could have been so many more if less time was spent repeating jokes and simply stating the obvious cinematic flaws.

One last note:  it?s not that I think Mike and Kevin were too harsh (as another thread stipulates), I just think that they spent too much time simply talking about the movie instead of actually riffing on it.  It?s like riffing on ?Castaway? by simply commenting non-stop about the lack of dialogue ? there?s better material to be had.

=(
J to the Pizzo
P to the Jizzay...

Offline gammer

• Second Banana
  • Liked: 3
    • GoodTimers Hockey
« Reply #40 on: November 07, 2006, 06:07:28 AM »
gammer's "take" on Phatom Menace RiffTrax:
http://www3.sympatico.ca/inch77/rifftrax.htm

Offline kodiakthejuggler

• Dragon Ryder
  • >Insert Obscure Reference<
    • It's All Geek To Me
« Reply #41 on: November 07, 2006, 08:22:40 AM »
I would rank this as my #2 Rifftrax so far.

It doesn't knock Star Trex V off the top for a couple reasons:

1. There were more moments in STV that I laughed myself sore,

2. Mike and Kevin spent a little too much time being harsh to Ep 1. instead of going for clever,

3. I was able to anticipate several of the riffs in Ep. 1. One of the great joys of MST3K/Rifftrax is hearing what they come up with. If I am able to anticipate the riff, it's not as funny. I'd rather be made to laugh 'till I hurt than just nod in agreement.

Anyhoo, this is spectacular! And this one is quickly becoming the "Big One" for the Rifftrax franchise. There have been more new members/posters for Ep. 1 than any other Rifftrax to date.

Offline Petey Wheatstraw

• "SMOG INSPECTION!"
    • Mystic Studios Productions
« Reply #42 on: November 07, 2006, 10:16:05 AM »
I bought the RiffTrax the day it came out, but I wasn't able to get a copy of the film itself until today. No, I didn't actually buy this piece of shit (bad enough being dragged to see it in the theaters - I don't even like Star Wars) -- my library's copy was checked out for a week. I sincerly hope that there's another RiffTrax fan living in my town. I have no idea who in their right minds would check out The Phantom Menace for the full time period unless they had bought Mike and Kevin's commentary (not even the hardcore nerds like this thing!). In any case, I'll post back after I've listened to the thing.

To make sure nobody at the library thought I was insane, I checked out a copy of David Lynch's Blue Velvet in addition to Episode 1. Actually, maybe this was so I'd have a movie I actually like to watch.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2006, 01:27:39 PM by Isaac »
This iRiff will only be on sale for another few hours. Get it while it's cheap!

Offline Petey Wheatstraw

• "SMOG INSPECTION!"
    • Mystic Studios Productions
« Reply #43 on: November 07, 2006, 01:26:34 PM »
Okay, I've gotta say, this has to be the funniest RiffTrax yet. Great job, guys! 8)
This iRiff will only be on sale for another few hours. Get it while it's cheap!

Offline estwald

• Sparkles in Sunlight
« Reply #44 on: November 07, 2006, 05:22:02 PM »
Favorite lines:

(Jar Jar sticks out his 3-foot tongue)
"Hmm, maybe that's why they keep him around?"

and

(Droid in tank looks out at the assembled army of Gungans)
"Rommel (droid voice) you magnificent bastard. I read your book."

Overall I loved this track. I was hoping that they'd notice one problem I'd always had with the movie, which is that many times Qui Gon is using the jedi mind trick just to help himself (get a boat from the head Gungan, trick Watto into accpeting currency that's no good to him, cheat on the dice roll, etc) But then when the mind trick could actually help them save Naboo, he gets all pious and refuses to use it. What gives?