Author Topic: Issues with DIVX player  (Read 3840 times)

Offline rhyannelise

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 0
Issues with DIVX player
« on: December 09, 2007, 01:08:15 PM »
So I've been bedridden after major surgery, and to cheer myself up I purchased Missile to the Moon.  Unfortunately, I can only watch a few minutes of it before the player I downloaded goes to some sort of commercial, and it won't let me get any further.  When I click on the ad, it sends me to the main download page and asks me to redownload the player

Offline torgosPizza

• Administrator
  • Liked: 247
  • Heaven is nowhere, just look to the stars.
    • RiffTrax
Re: Issues with DIVX player
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2007, 02:35:20 PM »
A commercial? That doesn't sound like our player. Can you provide me with some more details, about your computer system (what OS are you using?) and what player you're using to watch it? Did you follow the same directions that are on the website, for purchasing the VOD and downloading the player?

Offline Junkyard

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 5
  • Steampunk Monster Hunter
    • Riff Raff Theater
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2007, 03:44:16 PM »
I had something like this happen. I think you have to let it download all the way before you can play it, or it won't play past a certain point. Or maybe not. But yeah, after a second download, it played all the way.

Offline SwordKing

• Schnappi Supporter
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2007, 06:22:31 PM »
I have the exact same problem. It plays for about 3-5 minutes then suddenly stops and brings up a plug for some other DivX product. I think purchasing the player might fix the problem. But I won't do that until I know for certain.

Offline backstopbob89

• Disembaudio's Squadio
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2009, 09:18:23 PM »
I too am having the same problem listed by others here. I downloaded House on Haunted Hill, picked up the DIVX player, crank up the movie, and it plays five minutes...then i get a commercial for other Divx products. I can't fast-forward past it, and I've downloaded the entire film. Every time I start it us, it does the same friggin' thing. I just found this site today, and I'd love to be a regular purchaser, but not if I can't get the movies to play. :)

I use Firefox and Windows XP.

Do I need yo buy something from DivX or something to make this work?

Offline Dankbuds

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 2
  • BEEP BEEP Richie!
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2009, 09:28:26 PM »
download VLC media player it's free and plays just about any media file

Offline torgosPizza

• Administrator
  • Liked: 247
  • Heaven is nowhere, just look to the stars.
    • RiffTrax
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2009, 09:33:55 PM »
Yeah you shouldn't have to buy anything. Are you sure you've downloaded the entire file? How big are the files you're trying to play?

Offline Dankbuds

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 2
  • BEEP BEEP Richie!
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2009, 09:38:59 PM »
I've seen some of those "DivX Players" from divx websites and some of them seem a bit sketchy to me... just my opinion, VLC is much more reliable.
VLC will do everything those other players will do without all the "buy this" "click that" crap

Offline Conor

• Yardstick
  • Global Moderator
  • Liked: 89
    • conorlastowka.com
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2009, 09:48:38 PM »
I've seen some of those "DivX Players" from divx websites and some of them seem a bit sketchy to me... just my opinion, VLC is much more reliable.
VLC will do everything those other players will do without all the "buy this" "click that" crap

2nd this.  You do not need to use the "divx player" for divx encoded files.  Download and use VLC:

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

We recommend it for all our RiffTrax and iRiff vids, and it will do you well for other videos as well.