login

Author Topic: Tin Man  (Read 5056 times)

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
Re: Tin Man
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2007, 05:43:48 AM »
My thoughts exactly. I've posted the link to the onion story before about his story about the Smurfs which is spot on.

He's a pretty good writer but sometimes a little monomaniacal about specific subtexts.

Offline Rude

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 3
  • Forum Czar
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2009, 05:54:53 PM »

Necro-thread, back from the dead.

I got this on DVD for Christmas, so i finally had the chance to watch the whole thing... and it wasn't too bad. The best part of the series were the visual elements though. Except for any of the CGI creatures, it looked really great. And i was surprised that it was actually 16x9. So, it was the first full-length DVD to properly fill my entire HDTV screen.

As for Zooey Deschanel, i sort of liked her natural demeanour. It was refreshing because she just seemed so normal. But my girlfriend absolutely hated her acting, and it even started to grate on me by the end of the movie as well. So i can see why people didn't like her in that role.

Anyway, i never got bored while i watched it. And that's saying a lot considering it was nearly 6hours long.

-Rude

Oh yeah, Tin Man is what they called cops in the O.Z. because "tin" was slang for their badge.
"I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."<a href="http://www.divshare.com/flash/audio?myId=3942804-0e3" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.divshare.com/flash/audio?myId=3942804-0e3</a>

Offline bratpop

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 2
  • Riff everything.
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2009, 07:24:59 PM »
But 16x9 is actually 1.77:1, which is an extremely unusual ratio for anything to be in. Which makes me wonder why the hell they decided widescreen TVs should be that size. 1.85:1 is far more common. It may not be coincidence that The Man With The Screaming Brain is the only DVD I own in that ratio, as it's also from Sci-Fi.

Also, blankly staring at insane poop-inducing events is not a natural demeanor. "Ah, a witch!" you're supposed to say, as you're pooping yourself. Zooey had a look of, "Did I just see a... nah."

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2562
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2009, 09:18:31 PM »
But 16x9 is actually 1.77:1, which is an extremely unusual ratio for anything to be in. Which makes me wonder why the hell they decided widescreen TVs should be that size. 1.85:1 is far more common. It may not be coincidence that The Man With The Screaming Brain is the only DVD I own in that ratio, as it's also from Sci-Fi.

Has nothing to do with Sci-Fi, you can go back to some early HBO mini-series like "from the earth to the moon" and they are 16:9, and that was 1998.

It was chosen pretty much because it is the best compromise between 4:3 and 2.35:1, so when watching either of those there is the least amount of dead space on the screen.  That standard was proposed back in 1980. 

I think most people that watch movies would have preferred 1.85:1, so most comedies would fill the screen and panavision movies would also fill the screen more, but it was chosen more for old TV compatibility than home video...

Later,
 Marty

Oh, Tin Man was on Sci-Fi recently, I caght the last 3 hours, not sure what to think about it, even only seeing half of it I thougt it was too long, interesting story, would have been better as a single movie or at most 2 parts.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 09:21:08 PM by MartyS (Gromit) »

Offline bratpop

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Riff everything.
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2009, 01:49:47 AM »
I was just saying Sci-Fi probably makes an effort to use that ratio specifically, or possibly it's common for a lot of TV. "Dune" is also that ratio (alas, also Sci-Fi). My other TV movie discs don't say what the ratio is.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2009, 08:01:03 AM »
I was just saying Sci-Fi probably makes an effort to use that ratio specifically, or possibly it's common for a lot of TV. "Dune" is also that ratio (alas, also Sci-Fi). My other TV movie discs don't say what the ratio is.

Oh, well, it depends on the movie, science fiction movies for the big screen are normally panavision (scifi comedies being the exception normally at 1.85:1), so most TV movies with a scifi theme shot after DVDs became popular (say, around 2000) were done 16:9.

Of course just about everything shot in the last 5 years was done with hi-def cameras so they are all 16:9 now.  Going back farther it's hit or miss if it was shot widescreen or standard.

The Dune miniseries was shot on 35mm film at 2:1, cropped to 16:9, since it's on film there's hope they'll do a high def transfer someday.  I've already double dipped on that with the standard release and then the uncut version, so if it came out on Blu-Ray I'd get it again.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2009, 10:30:45 PM »
Even though they pronounce Chani as "Cheney"?
Ha, the story is set what, 10000 years in the future?  Who knows how names would be pronounced?

Offline bratpop

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Riff everything.
« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2009, 03:22:16 PM »
I'll forgive them that since they pronounced "Fed-AY-kin" correctly.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2009, 10:00:47 PM »
I'll forgive them that since they pronounced "Fed-AY-kin" correctly.

LOL, and the actress playing Chani was hot so who cares about how they pronounced her name...  They did spell it correctly in the credits.

Later,
 Marty