Author Topic: For the Rob Liefeld Haters  (Read 15694 times)

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
Re: For the Rob Liefeld Haters
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2008, 08:08:42 AM »
Or as I call him, Rob Linefeld

Surely "Linefilled"

Offline Sheik Yerbouti

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2008, 03:48:42 AM »
That was a tough time.  We're talking early 90's.  Sure, Alan Moore and Grant Morrison were doing good stuff, but it was the ART AGE, when everyone who Todd McFarlane handed a pencil to  became the hot new artist with his own new title.

If I were thirty years old THEN I might have thought more clearly, but it was all an artistic blur then.

Since we're on the subject, is it okay to admit that Todd McFarlane kinda sucks?  How did that man become so popular?  I loved The Hulk when he was drawing it but honestly it was because of the writing, that was Peter David.  I bought Spawn for a couple of years and finally gave up on it.  The story never did make any sense.  Not to mention the fact that he took most of his ideas for Spawn from Spider Man when he gave Marvel the finger.  I'll give him credit for his line of toys but I doubt he's got all that much to do with those apart from slapping his name on them.

Offline Fig Neutron

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2008, 03:04:06 PM »
That was a tough time.  We're talking early 90's.  Sure, Alan Moore and Grant Morrison were doing good stuff, but it was the ART AGE, when everyone who Todd McFarlane handed a pencil to  became the hot new artist with his own new title.

If I were thirty years old THEN I might have thought more clearly, but it was all an artistic blur then.

Since we're on the subject, is it okay to admit that Todd McFarlane kinda sucks?  How did that man become so popular?  I loved The Hulk when he was drawing it but honestly it was because of the writing, that was Peter David.  I bought Spawn for a couple of years and finally gave up on it.  The story never did make any sense.  Not to mention the fact that he took most of his ideas for Spawn from Spider Man when he gave Marvel the finger.  I'll give him credit for his line of toys but I doubt he's got all that much to do with those apart from slapping his name on them.

Agreed.  I never did get much into any of the Image stuff--from anyone.  It was one great big sham.  "We can draw, so by default...we can write!"  Ugh, no you can't.

Spawn was a joke--15 full-page splash panels, 18 word balloons, 45 seconds to read, $2.50 down the drain.

Before his high-format Spider-Man series (which was all of what, 16 issues?), his art was kind of lost due to the printing quality anyway.

Love the toys, but until they started doing licensed stuff, it was hard to get too excited about a really cool figure that represented some comic character I knew nothing about.

On a side note, I had a Spider-Man subscription that I didn't renew, and it ended on issue 295  :-\  I go into a comic shop a couple years later, and see almost EVERY SINGLE issue after that is TWENTY BUCKS!!!   :o  That's how I found out about 'God' McFarlane.
I'll Say It. You'll Hear It. You'll Do It. I'll Get It. You'll Learn It. I'll Live With It. And You'll Die Without It.

Offline zoom

• Sparkles in Sunlight
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2008, 09:46:45 AM »
I've seen that site before, love how it points out all the inconsistencies in his art.  That and I've heard he's pompous anyway (how do you get an ego when you're an artist for X-force and not X-men?) so it's well deserved.

I don't think Todd McFarlane sucks exactly, but during that whole trend in the 90's he's become WAAAY too overrated.  He's a decent artist who has hits and misses with his style, but overall I've never understood how he branched off to create such a large comic company just by being a Spider-man artist regular.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2008, 04:48:26 AM by zoom »

Offline Fig Neutron

• Schnappi Supporter
« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2008, 01:12:48 PM »
McFarlane is a great artist--agreed that he's just waaay overrated, mostly from when he tried to become a writer.

To clarify, it was X-Force (a worst comic covers of all time website--which of course he was on (example #27 was used in fact)--called it X-Factor too).

I only mention that because he probably got the ego because he kind of created Cable (who was HUGE in the early years) and Deadpool...

Which is a funny story--the writer turned Deadpool into that goofball character because when 'Linefeld' showed his editor the drawing of his new character, the editor was like

"Dude, you simply created Deathstroke the Terminator again.   :D :D :D
I'll Say It. You'll Hear It. You'll Do It. I'll Get It. You'll Learn It. I'll Live With It. And You'll Die Without It.

Offline zoom

• Sparkles in Sunlight
« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2008, 04:50:04 AM »

To clarify, it was X-Force (a worst comic covers of all time website--which of course he was on (example #27 was used in fact)--called it X-Factor too).

I knew that but unfortunately I'm dyslexic lol.  Thanks for correcting me though.

Offline GalvaTRION

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 4
  • Damn you, Bay.
« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2008, 10:41:40 PM »
You know, that article is hilarious for all of the first ten pictures, but then it hits you... oh so very hard... that the fucker is filthy freaking rich, helped found one of today's best comic companies (yes, it's initial output was blow, but look at it's lineup today. Also: The Maxx.), sold millions upon millions of comics, and... and...

... HE CAN'T FUCKING DRAW. HE CAN'T FUCKING WRITE OR DRAWGRAGHRHGBH HHRHASHAAHHHGGGHHHHH.. AARRGGHHAHHHHHHHHHHHHRRRHHAHHHHHH...

... this is what having bamboo shutes jammed into your fingernails feels like.

On the other hand, athiests have their proof that God doesn't exist, and lazy students have their proof that you don't need to be good at anything to be FILTHY FUCKING GREAGGHHAAARRHGGHHHHHH...

... ARRGGAHHAAAARRRAAAHHHHHHH... HE ONLY KNEW THREE CHORDS THIS WHOLE TIMERAAGGGHAAAHHHHHHHH...

Offline Fig Neutron

• Schnappi Supporter
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2008, 08:49:03 PM »
Isn't it so FREAKIN' ironic that he was such a huge part of an artist-driven publisher?

I will put my neck out there and say I liked his drawing on New Mutants and (to diminishing returns) X-Force....

Then he went completely Bat-Shit Insane!

Maybe Rob died in 1991, and his twin brother took over his persona.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 08:51:37 PM by Fig Neutron »

Offline zoom

• Sparkles in Sunlight
« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2008, 08:17:10 AM »
Isn't it so FREAKIN' ironic that he was such a huge part of an artist-driven publisher?

I will put my neck out there and say I liked his drawing on New Mutants and (to diminishing returns) X-Force....

My vote goes to Rob being a Skrull.

Offline GalvaTRION

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Damn you, Bay.
« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2008, 10:57:13 AM »

My vote goes to Rob being a Skrull.

You win the topic, sir. Signed copy of Who's Looking Out for You on the way.

Offline zoom

• Sparkles in Sunlight
« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2008, 11:09:24 AM »
From Papa Bear himself!?

Offline GalvaTRION

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Damn you, Bay.
« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2008, 11:34:54 AM »
From Papa Bear himself!?

No bloviating, you.

Offline zoom

• Sparkles in Sunlight
« Reply #42 on: March 24, 2008, 11:59:57 AM »
From Papa Bear himself!?

No bloviating, you.

That made me literally lol as the kids call it.

Offline Tyrant

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 71
  • 2007-11 Satanic Humanitarian Award Winner
« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2008, 01:13:52 PM »
Pak and I got to see a few of his Deadpool and Cable covers reprinted in the last issue of same (*sniff*) just this weekend. I was reminded, once more, of just how much he sucks as an artist. I went through the checklist:

1) Tiny or nonexistant feet:   Check.
2) Weird and uncomfortable looking crotch situations by way of pant creases:  Check.
3) Huge ass weaponary that takes up as much space as possible:  Check.
4) Pouches, pouches, and more pouches: Check and check.
5) Anatomical proportional nightmares: Check.
6) Lines on every face to make them look a billion years old for no damn reason: Check.

Then I go online and see this photo of him: 

....and I just want to hunt him down and chop his hands off. Or at least pass legislation that says he can't publish anything he draws ever again.

Offline GalvaTRION

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Damn you, Bay.
« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2008, 03:19:04 PM »
I sometimes wonder what his DVD shelf must look like... Torque, War, The Condemned, Transformers, a Fast and the Furious boxed setm XXX 2: State of the Union... there's probably a whole section containing the works of The Wayans Brothers (excepting of course stuff like Requiem for a Dream). More of a shrine, really. Absolutely nothing in black and white (minus Sin City, I imagine).

I bet this guy loooooves Michael Bay and Larry the Cable Guy.

Probably listening to some "Jock Rock" compilation on his iPhone while he draws Captain America's massive tits. Drinking some Mountain Dew Code Red. Eating EXTREME Doritos.

I think I just coughed up a little blood just now.