Poll

What's your favorite Rankin/Bass Holiday Special?

Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer
14 (53.8%)
The Little Drummer Boy
1 (3.8%)
Frosty the Snowman
2 (7.7%)
Santa Claus is Comin' To Town
2 (7.7%)
The Year Without a Santa Claus
6 (23.1%)
Nestor, the Long Eared Christmas Donkey (Not the Rifftrax)
0 (0%)
The Life and Adventures of Santa Claus
1 (3.8%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Author Topic: What's your favorite Rankin/Bass Holiday Special?  (Read 3557 times)

Offline Plastic Self-Cleaning Duck

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 2
  • Duck!!!
Re: What's your favorite Rankin/Bass Holiday Special?
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2007, 06:56:27 PM »
BTW, there is a Rankin-Bass website....

But I'll warn you....there doesn't appear to be a way to turn off the music...    :gouge:

YoohooRiffer

« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2007, 08:57:02 PM »
My favorite is "Here Comes Peter Cottontail", but unfortunately that's not listed. You haven't lived until you've seen Vincent Price play an evil rabbit. Avoid the CGI "Peter Cottontail: The Movie" at all costs.

Yes I neglected to add non-Christmas Rankin/Bass productions.  I just decided since it was Christmas time that I'd limit it.  Otherwise there would have been a vote or two for Mad Monster Party as well.

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2383
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2007, 06:01:41 AM »
We can always have the appropriate holiday's special poll when it comes up.  Don't forget Bunny Picnic come Easter time though.
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

• Mr Bungle
  • Duck!!!
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2007, 06:44:38 AM »
We can always have the appropriate holiday's special poll when it comes up.  Don't forget Bunny Picnic come Easter time though.

???  Is there another holiday where they did multiple specials devoted to it?

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2383
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2007, 03:28:49 PM »
Not Rankin/Bass that I know of, for the other polls you'd probably have to open it up to different kinds of specials.  Bunny Picnic was Muppets.
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline Scrivener

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 7
  • P.S. Productions: Getting the last word in.
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2007, 07:07:21 AM »

???  Is there another holiday where they did multiple specials devoted to it?

I think they may have done two Easter specials, but rather than looking them up at IMDB or that Rankin-Bass website, I'm probably better off just denying that I ever saw or even heard of them.  Gut feeling.
Buy P.S.Productions' iRiffs.  NOW AVAILABLE:

• Mr Bungle
  • Duck!!!
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2007, 08:11:41 PM »
BTW, anyone who has ABC Family Channel knows they are showing these specials.  "25 Days of Christmas".

They're going to show them again Saturday starting at 7am EST.

7:00 AM Rudolph and...
Santa must save the day when Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer and Frosty the Snowman encounter an evil wizard. Animated.

9:00 AM Life of Santa Claus
Baby grows up to be Santa Claus.

10:00 AM Nestor, the Chirstmas Donkey
Donkey in Bethlehem.

10:30 AM Pinocchio's Xmas
Earning money.

11:30 AM Jack Frost
Jack seeks advice.

12:30 PM Frosty's Wonderland
Frosty marries.

1:00 PM 'Twas the Night ...
Animated ``A Visit From St. Nicholas.''

1:30 PM Rudolph's Shiny Year
New Year Baby in fog.

2:30 PM Year Without a Santa
Santa takes day off.

3:30 PM Santa Claus is Coming to Town
The voice of Fred Astaire. Animated.

After that, are some mediocre movies....

4:30 PM The Polar Express
A train conductor guides a boy who doubts the existence of Santa Claus to the North Pole. Animated. Based on a book by Chris Van Allsburg.

7:00 PM The Santa Clause 2
Santa must get married by Christmas Eve in order to save the holiday and keep his job.

9:00 PM The Polar Express
A train conductor guides a boy who doubts the existence of Santa Claus to the North Pole. Animated. Based on a book by Chris Van Allsburg.

11:30 PM Prancer
A widower's daughter finds a wounded reindeer that she is sure must be from Santa's sleigh.

Offline mike5150

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 312
  • I used to be cool dag nabbit!
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2007, 08:40:35 PM »
rudoulf...........she thinks im gcuuuult!........(I was trying to spell his stuffy nose)....nowadays we always watch christmas story and christmas vacation on dvd to get in the mood. (nothin says merry Christmas like sh**ters full to me) :highfive: we are adding elf and jack frost with michael keaton to our list this year.....great for kids and adults....MERRY CHRISTMAS.......FROM MIKE AND THE WHOLE 5150 FAMILY!!!!

Offline Fuzzy Necromancer

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2007, 03:44:22 PM »
When we came over to our grandparent's house for christmas, we'd always watch a taped-from-TV copy of "The Life And Adventures of Santa Claus"
Love doesn't hurt. It kills.

"Where there's smoke, there's a smoke-making machine."

Offline FordPrefect

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2007, 12:23:16 AM »
I think they may have done two Easter specials, but rather than looking them up at IMDB or that Rankin-Bass website, I'm probably better off just denying that I ever saw or even heard of them.  Gut feeling.

I'm not an expert, but as a casual fan I know a few things about them. Most of their specials were done using stop-motion animation - or "Animagic" as they called it. "Here Comes Peter Cottontail" was the first of three Easter specials that the company did.  The second one was "The First Easter Rabbit". Unlike the other two, it was done with traditional animation. I remember seeing it when I was very young, but it's been a long time. I think the plot was more than a little reminiscent of "The Velveteen Rabbit", if I recall. The last one was "The Easter Bunny Is Comin' to Town". It's basically a remake of their earlier special, "Santa Claus Is Comin' To Town" except it's the origin story of the Easter Bunny instead of Santa. Heck, they even had Fred Astaire come back to play the narrator / mailman character that he played in the Santa special.

The company produced a lot of stuff over nearly three decades, but they're mostly known for the numerous Christmas specials they produced.

Offline valeyard

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2007, 06:26:20 AM »
Rudolf premiered when I was 3 years old.  The Rudolf you see now is not the Rudolf that premiered in 1964.  First of all, Rudolf and Hermie sang "We're a Couple of Misfits" instead of "Fame and Fortune" when they decide to run away.  Yukon was looking silver and gold until he discovered a peppermint mine.  And Santa didn't return to the Island of Misfit toys. 

There was a write-in campaign after the first time it aired in 1964, because Santa did not return to the Island of Misfits toys.  People were honestly upset about it.

In response Rankin Bass re-shot some scenes. 

In order to fit this into the 55 minute slot they had, they replaced "We're a Couple of Misfits" with the much shorter "Fame and Fortune."  They shortened "We are Santa's Elves" number.  They cut out Donner looking on after Rudolf takes off and says "That's my buck."  Yukon discovering the peppermint mine was cut.  In their place, Santa lands on the Island of Misfit Toys and takes them away.

The DVD I have (I can't account for all DVD versions) has put all these scenes back in (with the "Fame and Fortune" number being a "special feature"), and leaves in Santa going to the Island of Misfit Toys.  Thus, it runs longer than 55 minutes.

I have to admit, though, the Little Drummer Boy was always my favorite.  You can't help crying when he plays the drum for the Christ child. 
« Last Edit: December 14, 2007, 06:21:28 PM by valeyard »
Are you my virgins?  I hope not!

Offline valeyard

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2007, 06:32:34 PM »

I have to admit, though, the Little Drummer Boy was always my favorite.  You can't help crying when he plays the drum for the Christ child. 

Well I can, but I'm not a sissy girly-boy!   >:D

I don't know where I came across "We're a Couple of Misfits," because that's definitely the one I knew growing up.  I never even heard "Fame and Fortune" until I got the Soundtrack CD a few years ago.  They must've reinserted it?

Hee Hee.  That's okay.  I'm not a boy at all.   :-*  I can cry all I want.   ;D

That's funny, after 1964, that's all I ever saw was the "Fame and Fortune" number.  I like that these DVD are out so we can see our favorite Rankin Bass shows.  What I wish they would put in is those original commericials from when we were kids. 

Are you old enough to remember Rudolf was always sponsored by Norelco shavers?  And they would have this little stop motion Santa (probably done by Rankin Bass, too) riding a Norelco shaver down a snowy hill, like it was a sled?  Then they would end with the words "Noelco" (get it?  Noel - co.  ha ha )  I miss that. 

That doesn't bother me so much as what they do with "A Charlie Brown Christmas."  (yeah I know it isn't a Rankin Bass special, but bear with me).

To this day, you can't find "A Charlie Brown Christmas" in it's entirity because the companies that sponsored the cartoon were right in the cartoon. 

For example at the beginning when snoopy runs on the ice with linus blanket, Charlie Brown gets caught and snoopy sends them flying.  One of them slides into a tree and is covered by snow.  It goes dark immediately after saying "Charlie Brown Christmas.  They cut it short, because if they continued it would say "sponsored by Dolly Madison" cakes and cookies (or something like that).

Then at the end, when they are singing "Hark the Herald" they never finish the song anymore.  They fade it out, and you never get to hear the last notes, because it orginally said, "And Merry Christmas from your Coca-Cola bottlers." 

I wish they would just leave that all in (Joel makes a reference to this in "MST3K Santa Claus Conquers the Martians." )

Okay, whinefest off;) 
Are you my virgins?  I hope not!