Poll

Which book should we read for the month of December?

Dune
Burmese Days
The Cry of the Owl
Breakfast of Champions
Keep the Aspidistra Flying

Author Topic: Rifftrax Book Club Poll #1 - December  (Read 3272 times)

Offline bettertomorrowamy

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 12
  • Get this lazy Manc twat an Emmy!
Rifftrax Book Club Poll #1 - December
« on: November 26, 2007, 09:22:45 AM »
Dune by Frank Herbert
This Hugo and Nebula Award winner tells the sweeping tale of a desert planet called Arrakis, the focus of an intricate power struggle in a byzantine interstellar empire. Arrakis is the sole source of Melange, the "spice of spices." Melange is necessary for interstellar travel and grants psychic powers and longevity, so whoever controls it wields great influence.

Burmese Days by George Orwell
Orwell draws on his years of experience in India to tell this story of the waning days of British imperialism. A handful of Englishmen living in a settlement in Burma congregate in the European Club, drink whiskey, and argue over an impending order to admit a token Asian.

The Cry of the Owl by Patricia Highsmith
The plot begins when Robert Forester, the central character of the book, moves to a small town in Pennsylvania to escape from his ex-wife and city life in New York. He takes solace in secretly watching a young woman in her house through the window in her kitchen. Being a peeping tom of domestic life creates a sort of refuge for Forester from his disastrous divorce. Jenny Thierolf, the young woman, upon discovering Forester as the prowler, does not call the authorities, but instead invites Forester into her life. As he becomes increasingly drawn into her life, the consequences of his involvement disrupt the Pennsylvania community they occupy, as well as the life of Forester's ex-wife in New York. Forester becomes caught up in a series of deaths in which he is the innocent bystander, but is considered the number one suspect of murder by most of the community as the local newspaper publishes information from a criminal investigation of Forester.

Breakfast of Champions by Kurt Vonnegut
The early chapters of the book introduce the two main characters: Kilgore Trout, a struggling science fiction writer, and Dwayne Hoover, an increasingly insane, but "fabulously well-to-do" car dealer. Kilgore receives an invitation to speak at a convention in Midland City, Dwayne's home town.
Dwayne meanwhile is slowly going mad. He hallucinates, and his "bad chemicals" make him do many strange things. He insults his employees, making one of them think that Dwayne knows he is a secret transvestite. Many minor characters are introduced, most of whom have hidden links to other characters. Kilgore hitchhikes his way across the country and ends up in the bar at the same hotel as both the author and Dwayne.
The author points out the spiritual climax of the book; a snobbish painter explains his greatest work to the silent bar. The painting is of a single bright band on a huge green canvas. He explains that at the core of everything that is can be found a shining bright line. A mother and her son, a father and his daughter, or two lovers: nothing but two shining, unwavering bands of light.
The author speaks of various fates that will befall the characters within the world he has created. Dwayne finally meets Kilgore and his "bad chemicals" trigger a rampage. He attacks many people at the bar and bites the end off Kilgore's finger. They are all taken away in a large emergency vehicle.
After Kilgore is released from the hospital he is confronted by the author of the novel and has a few last things explained to him. The author tells Kilgore that he can send him anywhere in his past or future. The author then transports himself back to his own dimension as Kilgore's shouts fade out: "Make me young!... Make me young!..."

Keep the Aspidistra Flying by George Orwell
Gordon Comstock is a well-educated and reasonably intelligent young man possessed of a minor talent for writing. He has 'declared war' on what he sees as an overarching dependence on money by leaving a promising job as a copywriter for an advertising company called "New Albion" and taking a low-paying job instead, ostensibly so he can write poetry. The "war" (and the poetry), however, aren't going particularly well and, under the stress of his self-imposed exile from affluence, Gordon has become absurd, petty and deeply neurotic.

« Last Edit: November 26, 2007, 09:38:29 AM by bettertomorrowamy »
On timeout

anais.jude

Re: Rifftrax Book Club Poll #1 - December
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2007, 01:57:25 PM »
woohoo! Go Dune!

Offline Ortega

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 33
    • Ortega's Covers
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2007, 03:04:17 PM »
yeah...i vote Dune......been a while( almost a year since i read it last0 , and i'd like to hear somebody else's opinion on the book.

• Mr Bungle
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2007, 09:10:04 PM »
Alright fine, if their aren't a whole lot of other votes, I guess Dune is the first book.
On timeout

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2007, 08:14:41 AM »
Well let me know when you're doing the second book then.

anais.jude

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2007, 12:46:50 PM »
Well let me know when you're doing the second book then.

all i want to know is, have you read dune?

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2007, 12:48:41 PM »
Yes about 7 or 8 times

anais.jude

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2007, 12:53:47 PM »
wow. so you like it, but don't want to read it again?

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2007, 12:56:20 PM »
I liked it enought to read it a number of times but it's been about a decade since I decided I didn't need to read it again.

I don't care if everyone else wants to read it, I'll just sit this one out.

Offline Sideswipe

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 2052
  • Look at me!!
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2007, 01:33:14 PM »
Here is my vote.  Easily more interesting and well developed than the others

I was bieng threated with death by wolf raping before it was cool!.

anais.jude

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2007, 01:48:10 PM »
Here is my vote.  Easily more interesting and well developed than the others

No go-bot books out there?

Offline FLOCK of RABID SHEEP?!?!

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2007, 01:59:46 PM »
there are probably some obscure comic books...u know dr seuss does sound good to me

anais.jude

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2007, 02:07:21 PM »
there are probably some obscure comic books...u know dr seuss does sound good to me

can't you let me insult sidey in peace!

• Mr Bungle
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2007, 02:51:47 PM »
He's performing a sideswipe on our book club....get it?  Silly Go-...Transformer.

On timeout

Offline Sideswipe

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 2052
  • Look at me!!
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2007, 03:40:28 PM »
Yeah yeah, print is dead anyway.  I'll leave.  But I can't promise I wont be back.  When you least expect it!

I was bieng threated with death by wolf raping before it was cool!.