Author Topic: Which version of Phantom Menace will be Rifftraxed?  (Read 5821 times)

Offline kodiakthejuggler

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 0
  • >Insert Obscure Reference<
    • It's All Geek To Me
Re: Which version of Phantom Menace will be Rifftraxed?
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2006, 11:21:20 AM »
Anybody know which version is running on Cinemax this month?

Whichever version is 136 minutes long.

That's the runtime quoted on Cinemax's website here:

http://www.cinemax.com/apps/schedule/ScheduleServlet?ACTION_DETAIL=DETAIL&FOCUS_ID=578774

Offline Conor

• Yardstick
  • Global Moderator
  • Liked: 89
    • conorlastowka.com
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2006, 11:41:41 AM »
Warning! Warning!

This Rifftax may be somewhat difficult to maintain. Currently, there are already three confirmed versions of this film. The original Theatrical version, the DVD release, and the 2007 DVD release. Since this has mainly been a DVD  depentant type of riffing, I can only assume we'll be doing the first DVD release of Episode one which is a few minutes longer then the theatrical version. I don't know much about the 2007 release, but I do know that Yoda will no longer be featured as a puppet. So any riffs that are aimed towards the puppet Yoda during the riff will probably throw the whole flow right out the window if someone watches the 2007 DVD release.

There is also the danger of the film being either shorter or longer for the 2007. It doesn't seem likely, but since George himself has said he didn't really care about Episode One on the Colbert Report there might be some trimming. There might also be some editions that have yet to surface.

Again, just a little warning. Be sure to post which edition of Episode One you're riffing.

I thought Jeyl here from the "YES!" thread brought up a good point. We may have to be worried about future versions as well as past ones.

Wow, is this real?  I think it's safe to say that RiffTrax will not be guaranteed to work for any versions of movies that DO NOT EXIST YET.  Be they CGI to Puppet transfers, Blue Crush Four Hour Extended versions (god willing) or the yet to be realized version of Casablanca where they do a play within a play production of Captain E O.

Don't worry about future versions, live in the now!

Offline Tarantulas

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 3
  • #97 Rifftrax Fan in the World!
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2006, 02:11:00 PM »
But we have to protect our Rifftrax investment!  Unless you are hinting at Special Edition Rifftrax where you replace Mike with CGI and Disembaudio with a real toaster.  If thats the case, I say bring on the future!

Offline Rude

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 3
  • Forum Czar
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2006, 05:14:32 PM »
Unless you are hinting at Special Edition Rifftrax where you replace Mike with CGI and Disembaudio with a real toaster.

I assumed that Mike was already CGI... Either that, a a giant computer the size of a room that dispenses jokes via punchcards.

-Rude
"I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."<a href="http://www.divshare.com/flash/audio?myId=3942804-0e3" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.divshare.com/flash/audio?myId=3942804-0e3</a>

Offline Bus Taker

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 110
  • "We're a danger to ourselves and others"
    • Music site
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2006, 08:35:23 PM »
Interesting, I hadn't heard about the VHS / DVD discrepancies.... we used the "widely distributed" version of Phantom Menace that was mentioned previously - it seems to be the same version at every store.

Megane please let us know, when it does come out, whether or not the commentary syncs up fully to your VHS version (if you choose to use it).

I found out that the VHS version I already have does not synch-up after the 56 minute mark.  As was said here, there's extra excruciating digitally-enhanced details in the pod race and presumably later.  I'm hand-editing it because I like doing digital A/V editing and I'm too cheep to get the DVD.  :P

I am willing to share the edited RiffTrax version for VHS through proper channels (i.e. not stealing money from Mike's pocket ;) ) if that can be arranged.
"I can't complain but sometimes I still do, life's been good to me so far." - Joe Walsh

Offline CameronH1403

• Disembaudio's Squadio
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2006, 09:33:51 PM »
I tried it with the VHS version (the original one that came out 6 months after the movie) and near the pod race, the sync was gone.  Guess I'll have to rent the DVD.

Offline Amy

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Worth ten cows
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2007, 12:49:15 PM »
Sorry to dredge up an old topic, but I just watched this the other night--with RiffTrax, on VHS.

For the love of God, WHY add footage to the already interminable pod race sequence?!?!?!?!?

Anyway, I lost syncing in the two places already mentioned, but it really wasn't a big problem. I just paused the tape until it looked like I was just-about on track, then with one or two little adjustments shortly after each re-syncing, it worked just fine. It was worth it to not have to acquire another copy!
That shocks my full military wear!