Author Topic: The Bots are Back!  (Read 45748 times)

Offline doggans

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 453
  • w00tstock Photobomb is TEARING Zombie Wiseau APAHT
    • doggans.com
Re: The Bots are Back!
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2007, 01:28:40 PM »
I really don't know how to react to this.

I mean, yeah, it seems like Jim's just trying to desperately cash in on the success of RiffTrax, The Film Crew, and Cartoon Dump. But I'm hoping he would have the good sense to ensure the product is at least semi-decent.

The fact that Paul's also involved makes me ever-so-slightly more optimistic...at least it's not just one lone, disgruntled ex-MST writer going off on his own making a fool out of himself.

At any rate, from what little description we have of the "new adventures", it seems like quite a departure from the original show, with the only real similarity being the characters, or at least their names. Sorta like the difference between "The Muppet Show" and the movies/subsequent spinoffs. Alas, this seems like it'll be too much like the post-Henson-death, post-Oz-departure spinoffs.

But, hey, new merch. That's exciting, at least.

Offline BEERxTaco

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 25
  • Does this bug you? I'm not touching you...
    • BEERx
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2007, 01:29:03 PM »
All I want is the KTMAs in high quality... ALL of them (but I'd settle for the first 4).

Any other "legacy" material would be nice too.  Not a big fan of "New Animated Adventures of _______"
« Last Edit: October 29, 2007, 01:32:50 PM by BEERxTaco »
"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son"
-Dean Wormer, Animal House R.I.P.

Offline Minnesota

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 4
  • Twins Territory
« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2007, 01:32:08 PM »
A comic book would probably of been a better idea on BBI's part. Unless you can get at least one key voice back, you are basically setting yourself up to fail.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3900
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2007, 01:32:53 PM »
All I want is the KTMAs in high quality... ALL of them.
AGREED! 100%!!
 :clap: :clap:
It's really difficult to get through them as it is, Plus the Crappy/Damaged VCR copies that still exist..

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 356
« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2007, 02:02:19 PM »
Well you sure as hell aren't going to get the KTMA's.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3900
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2007, 02:05:48 PM »
Well you sure as hell aren't going to get the KTMA's.
AWW MAN... >:(

Offline gbeenie

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 415
  • Prepare to die, obviously!
« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2007, 02:17:05 PM »
I hate Gypsy with a passion (its the voice that bugs me), so it'll be interesting to see how annoyed I get with "her" being a key character.

You shut your filthy mouth!
"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere.
Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen."

- Conan O'Brien

Offline bettertomorrowamy

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 12
  • Get this lazy Manc twat an Emmy!
« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2007, 02:25:01 PM »
I hate Gypsy with a passion (its the voice that bugs me), so it'll be interesting to see how annoyed I get with "her" being a key character.

You have a sweet liberal face, but a nasty mouth.
On timeout

Offline Rude

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 3
  • Forum Czar
« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2007, 02:26:29 PM »

Huh? Did that make any sense to anyone?  ;)

-Rude
"I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."<a href="http://www.divshare.com/flash/audio?myId=3942804-0e3" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.divshare.com/flash/audio?myId=3942804-0e3</a>

Offline bettertomorrowamy

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 12
  • Get this lazy Manc twat an Emmy!
« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2007, 02:34:34 PM »

Huh? Did that make any sense to anyone?  ;)

-Rude

You see, cuz her avatar is Michael Moore!....
On timeout

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2386
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #40 on: October 29, 2007, 02:49:26 PM »
Wow, just wow.

Okay here it is.  MST3K's strength was always the movie and the reaction to it.  That's the core concept, that's what the people wanted to see.  The host segments and little bit of plot were funny, but they never were meant to carry the episode.  The bots, with a little bit of exception, were funny because they were extensions of the writers and performers, not in and of themselves.  I really don't see these characters working in the long term, with yet another partial cast change, and without a movie to mock.  If they're still going to make fun of stuff, just stuff we can't watch at the same time and have the performance come off as a long rant or something, sorry, we already have Foamy the Squirrel on the internet.

At least give us KTMA stuff and good merch.  And yeah, I know the first one isn't likely, but people said the same thing about unaltered Star Wars on DVD.  If the fans bitch loudly enough maybe someone will listen.
RoninFoxTrax Presents Rocky

gum.co/RFTrocky

Offline daltysmilth

• Liked: 45
  • This is MY Enterprise. Eat it, Abrams!
    • My Space
« Reply #41 on: October 29, 2007, 03:20:35 PM »
Maybe this will be our opportunity to finally see some of the stuff that was meant for MST: The CD ROM.  (Besides Assignment Venezuela, since we've already seen that.)  And if Jim Mallon wants to resurrect MST3K, why not try to convince Adult Swim or Spike TV or someone like that to air some of the old episodes.  Rhino doesn't seem to have too much trouble securing the rights to the movies, so... I mean, it can be done.

And you know, they did say that Trace and Josh have both left AFV, so... there's that.
CROW:  (Sinisterly) The Secret Government Eggo Project...
--Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie

"Jason, Chess is a game of chance."
-- My friend Shawn to my friend Jason upon being defeated at a game of Chess.

http://gh.ffshrine.org?r=112104

MontyServo

« Reply #42 on: October 29, 2007, 03:25:58 PM »
I suppose they are his characters and he has the right to use them however he sees fit.  (Seems everyone said the same thing about George Lucas too after Episode 1).  I can't help but wonder if the ship has sailed for something like this to have any sort of success.  I'll check it out, but I don't have high hopes that it will be very good. 

Although if it does have some sort of success and is good, maybe the animated show could be picked up by Adult Swim.  You never really know.

The vault stuff could be interesting too.  Who knows what sort of material they have stashed away?

Offline Minnesota

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 4
  • Twins Territory
« Reply #43 on: October 29, 2007, 03:34:59 PM »

Alright, I'll be a bit nicer. I hate Gypsy's "voice" with a passion ... the character herself was fine. But I very literally reach for the mute button when she speaks. I can't take that whole men talking as ladies style humor, episodes of South Park can have the same effect on me.

Offline Rude

• Liked: 3
  • Forum Czar
« Reply #44 on: October 29, 2007, 03:40:46 PM »
Quote from: Minnesota
I can't take that whole men talking as ladies style humor...

You must be missing out on years of great Monty Python episodes then~  ;D

-Rude
"I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."<a href="http://www.divshare.com/flash/audio?myId=3942804-0e3" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.divshare.com/flash/audio?myId=3942804-0e3</a>