Author Topic: Completely Random Thoughts  (Read 1786527 times)

Offline The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 4470
Re: Completely Random Thoughts
« Reply #19140 on: January 16, 2018, 12:09:48 PM »
I'm glad for the resurgence because it meant that I could replace my parents' broken record player.  The only advantage that tube TVs have right now is that games that require an NES Zapper or equivalent don't work on a new TV.

Offline NRRork

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 91
    • Yep, I have a deviantART gallery. But it's pretty cheerful drawings-- no angsty poems or black-and-white photos of wooden chairs.
« Reply #19141 on: January 16, 2018, 12:18:50 PM »
And there's something about thinking back to being up early on Saturday morning in my feety pajamas with my brother and sister quietly pouring cereal and watching like the Bugs Bunny Show on one of those old console TVs, and that cannabis-colored shag carpet-- it was mostly pale greens with bits of reddish brown interspersed! The wall is wood paneled, and there's that old console stereo with the like latticework over the red felt covering the speakers.

Right? Am I close to the era? Like, it sounds more 70s than 80s like when I was a little kid, but furniture was expensive, most people didn't upgrade it every year to keep up with the times. ^_^ Ten years out of date was pretty common. You wouldn't believe how long it took for the last of those damned entertainment centers to go away. The 90s' biggest mistake. . . that I can think of without even a second's further appraisal.
I used to have an image here, but Photobucket got cheap about remote linking. I guess I'll have to think of something witty instead. Which I will. Later. It caught me by surprise, in all honesty. It's hard to be clever on command, I mean, YOU try it. Be funny: NOW! See, tough. So, gimme a bit, 'kay?

Offline Lesbunny

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 511
  • Bowsette is bae
« Reply #19142 on: January 16, 2018, 12:52:00 PM »
I'm glad for the resurgence because it meant that I could replace my parents' broken record player.  The only advantage that tube TVs have right now is that games that require an NES Zapper or equivalent don't work on a new TV.

Actually, CRTs have a higher refresh rate than newer TVs, I believe. This means that there's very little delay between input and action. The smashbros community is crazy about those older TVs, since they clock in between 150-200 apm and having the minor delay caused by the higher refresh rate throws off their flow.

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 562
  • "The name's Apple, Tim Apple"
« Reply #19143 on: January 16, 2018, 02:32:05 PM »
I had no idea about that with newer TV's. Hmmm. I like my current TV too much to go to another one and then of course there's the small matter of how much another TV would cost. My dad actually bought my last TV for me, and that was in 2008... damn, already 10 years ago.

Six years ago, when I was still somewhat stable and my life wasn't yet in pieces I actually found a job and I had HIGH hopes. HIGH hopes. I was actually looking at apartments, I was considering my budget, vehicle cost and all that other stuff... then... sigh... I had my breakdown and it was all downhill from there. I had that job for about a month before being fired from it. The sad part is it was a job I should have in theory been somewhat competent at doing but the fact of the matter is that my Bipolar was actually hurting me to the point where my mania was keeping me in this certain mode and I couldn't shake it no matter how hard I tried. I couldn't move on from one claim to another because I was gripped by this intense sensation that i was doing things all wrong and no matter how hard I tried to focus on reading all the required readings, I just couldn't concentrate on those at all or my other job tasks. This is probably in part why my therapist thinks I've had bipolar for much longer than I originally thought.

It's funny and... it's not. I remember I was really thinking "this is my big chance to finally get out and make it on my own", and I REALLY wanted that opportunity. Now that opportunity is gone... forever. There's no cure for what I suffer from and there's absolutely no indication my condition is ever going to improve. Please don't misunderstand, I'm not looking for pity or anything, I'm just saying there's a cautionary tale in here somewhere. That day I got the call that I lost that job was probably the worst day of my life. It was either that or the day I realized all the implications behind my diagnosis.

Offline Lesbunny

• Big Montana
  • Bowsette is bae
« Reply #19144 on: January 18, 2018, 06:29:19 PM »
The following content is a brief description of NSFW happenings. Nothing super inappropriate is described, just the situation itself isn't something you'd discuss in an office setting.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3563
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #19145 on: January 28, 2018, 05:54:45 PM »
Does anyone remember the computer commercial that told a family's story through screenshots of their computer?  It showed them signing up their kid for an email account or something?

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3563
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #19146 on: January 28, 2018, 06:03:15 PM »
Does anyone remember the computer commercial that told a family's story through screenshots of their computer?  It showed them signing up their kid for an email account or something?

Nevermind. Found it.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/zhPklt9nYas" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/zhPklt9nYas</a>

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #19147 on: January 28, 2018, 10:15:15 PM »
What is it with the Cinema Snob pronouncing the word crayons closer to something like the word "cranes"?

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3178
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #19148 on: January 28, 2018, 11:43:31 PM »
It's a regional pronunciation. This stuff fascinates me. He's probably from the northeast. There are maps.

http://www4.uwm.edu/FLL/linguistics/dialect/staticmaps/q_9.html

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5708
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #19149 on: January 29, 2018, 07:02:10 AM »
It's a regional pronunciation. This stuff fascinates me. He's probably from the northeast. There are maps.

http://www4.uwm.edu/FLL/linguistics/dialect/staticmaps/q_9.html
He's from Springfield OH, near Chicago.

Offline Imrahil

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 7908
« Reply #19150 on: January 29, 2018, 09:22:25 AM »
I say basically "cran" for it. Maybe a hint of an -aha- in the middle, a smidge like "Graham."

Offline Lesbunny

• Big Montana
  • Bowsette is bae
« Reply #19151 on: January 29, 2018, 12:11:26 PM »
First time I went over to my fiancee's dad's, he, his girlfriend, and my fiancee's friend kept trying to laugh at the fact that I wasn't pronouncing certain words in the exact way they did, because I obviously didn't grow up in the UK. They shut up pretty quick when I dropped "Tonganoxie" and "Osawatomie" in their faces. Two can play this game, nerds.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2641
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #19152 on: January 29, 2018, 02:45:50 PM »
People from MA and CT use the Housatonic River for that, but it only works if you give someone the spelling and ask them to say it.  Most will start it with a "how" sound like in "house" but it starts with a "who" sound.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3178
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #19153 on: January 30, 2018, 10:54:54 AM »
So I'm listening to Weird Al's "Yoda" (as is my wont) and there was one line that used to bug me, where he says, "I know that I'll be coming back some day. I'll be playing this part 'til I'm old and grey!" That line always used to irk me because the trilogy was complete and there were only prequels and he would not be playing that part 'til he's old and grey. It was a joke that would have played well in '85, but time seemed to have proved it wrong.

I only just now realized that the line has come to pass, and I can now make peace with it.

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #19154 on: January 30, 2018, 11:51:38 AM »
Yyuuuup. The only sad part is we won't be hearing that song in concert when we see him this summer.