Author Topic: Completely Random Thoughts  (Read 1334866 times)

Offline RVR II

• Samurai Cop
  • Liked:
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
Re: Completely Random Thoughts
« Reply #18585 on: April 08, 2017, 12:57:23 AM »
I'm really sorry, RVR II.  It is hard enough grieving, without having such strong conflicting emotions about your wife and her actions confounding it.
Thanks Lucas. Yes it is. Just trying to keep positive but I can't sleep tonight on top of that :-[
Sorry RVR, just don't feel bad about feeling angry.  I'm sure you guys got plenty angry with each other at times over the years, so just think of it as the same as then, it doesn't take away from the sadness so don't let guilt creep in when feeling angry with her.
Thanks Marty. Yes we were. I keep trying to think how I can keep our business going but it just doesn't look like that's possible for much longer.. The clientele is disappearing, the current administration is scaring them, etc.
I'm already on the hunt for a job and when ever I do find one, I have to make that my priority and our business secondary but eventually I may have no choice but to dissolve the business altogether and just move on :'(

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Liked:
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #18586 on: April 08, 2017, 06:26:00 AM »
I keep trying to think how I can keep our business going but it just doesn't look like that's possible for much longer.. The clientele is disappearing, the current administration is scaring them, etc.
I'm already on the hunt for a job and when ever I do find one, I have to make that my priority and our business secondary but eventually I may have no choice but to dissolve the business altogether and just move on :'(

That's rough but if you don't have the flow of customers coming in to make enough to live on then you really need to focus on a full time job somewhere else.  Although a lot of people do taxes for supplemental income during evenings and weekends.

Have you thought about trying to shift the focus of the business?  Make the Spanish language part secondary and try to bring in more English speaking customers to make up for the ones that have stopped coming?

Offline RVR II

• Samurai Cop
  • Liked:
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #18587 on: April 08, 2017, 08:33:38 AM »
I keep trying to think how I can keep our business going but it just doesn't look like that's possible for much longer.. The clientele is disappearing, the current administration is scaring them, etc.

That's rough but if you don't have the flow of customers coming in to make enough to live on then you really need to focus on a full time job somewhere else.  Although a lot of people do taxes for supplemental income during evenings and weekends.

Have you thought about trying to shift the focus of the business?  Make the Spanish language part secondary and try to bring in more English speaking customers to make up for the ones that have stopped coming?
That's pretty much what we were doing the last few years and I'm shifting to now.

2 reasons we don't cater too much to the regular American clientele..
1) Competition and 2) IRS changes are making it difficult for smaller tax professionals like mine to stay in business, but there are very few tax offices that cater to the Spanish speaking community because of their immigration status so that's been our niche.
Not to mention the several American clientele are rather rude and impatient so we shied away from them for the most part.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Liked:
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #18588 on: April 08, 2017, 09:12:26 AM »

That's pretty much what we were doing the last few years and I'm shifting to now.

1) Competition and 2) IRS changes are making it difficult for smaller tax professionals like mine to stay in business, but there are very few tax offices that cater to the Spanish speaking community because of their immigration status so that's been our niche.
Not to mention the several American clientele are rather rude and impatient so we shied away from them for the most part.

Yeah, dealing with the public is not fun sometimes.  So I guess I hope you find a job that you like, or at least don't hate.

Out to really test the batteries on that Ryobi mower I got yesterday....   Although last nights test cutting off 3 inches of damp grass in the front yard was a pretty good test I think...

Offline RVR II

• Samurai Cop
  • Liked:
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #18589 on: April 08, 2017, 12:28:46 PM »

Yeah, dealing with the public is not fun sometimes.  So I guess I hope you find a job that you like, or at least don't hate.

Been submitting applications to my local college recently that has several admin positions open..
Not sure if I'll get hired but if I don't hear anything by May I'll probably have hit up the temp agencies to see what they have available :-\
Actually one of my YouTube fans is a flight attendant at Delta and he got me thinking maybe that would be an interesting career change since I'm no longer held back by marriage and my business.. :o
He gets paid well and flies all over country including international destinations for free. He's only been with them for a year and has been to many places around Mexico as well as Panama, Aruba, St. Martin, and other places.
I love to travel so maybe I have a shot at something like this.. I'll give it a shot for sure.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Liked:
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #18590 on: April 08, 2017, 03:13:17 PM »
Ha, flight attendant, now there a full on "dealing with the public" type job....

Offline RVR II

• Samurai Cop
  • Liked:
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #18591 on: April 08, 2017, 04:26:54 PM »
Ha, flight attendant, now there a full on "dealing with the public" type job....
Well after 16 years of dealing with the public in my Spanish services business, I think I can handle them 8)

Offline LucasM

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked:
« Reply #18592 on: April 09, 2017, 12:20:29 AM »
In case anyone is wanting to get rid of anything, or looking for something for no cost, there is a website that a friend referred me to.  In less than a week, someone claimed the 50+ blank VHS tapes that have been in a box cluttering my kitchen for YEARS (they used to have MST3Ks on them).  The person said their father still used videotapes and would be excited to have them.  FAR preferable to my next option (garbage/landfill).  But even in just the area directly around me, there are people giving away things like a washer and dryer, an electric water tank, and things like 'lots of hangers', and a daybed.

The site is: https://my.freecycle.org/home/groups

You can look for things in your area, then, when you sign up, you can post there.  My first post took about 4-5 days for a moderator to check it (likely because it was my first post), but shortly after it showed up, the person contacted me.
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, read this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline Variety of Cells

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked:
« Reply #18593 on: April 16, 2017, 07:08:18 AM »
I get to add another to the list of band names I didn't realize were puns or inuendos. I learned The Beatles were a dad pun last year. Now I just learned Pearl Jam = semen.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked:
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #18594 on: April 16, 2017, 10:14:27 AM »
That's news to me, too.

Offline LucasM

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked:
« Reply #18595 on: April 18, 2017, 01:55:16 PM »
Anyone know of a Lovecraft fan, particularly one with a little Lovecraftian (particularly if that little one is of 'cardboard page' book age)?  They might want to enter the drawing which is at this link (the picture is a link).  The picture also shows what could be won.:

Here’s what’s included in the C is for Cthulhu Fun Pack (from their description):

✓ The premium C is for Cthulhu Plush (Green) — this super soft elder god keeps you cozy all through the night! 

✓ The C is for Cthulhu: The Lovecraft Alphabet Book which has been enjoyed by thousands! 

✓ C is for Cthulhu Coloring Book, one of our top-selling titles!

✓ C is for Cthulhu Refrigerator Magnets (x3) 

✓ Full-color sheet of custom Cthulhu stickers. 

✓ One-of-a-Kind Bonus in Every Box: Also Includes a limited artist edition plate hand-numbered and signed by C is for Cthulhu writer Jason Ciaramella, with an original, one-of-a-kind sketch drawn by artist Greg Murphy. 

✓ Comes in our colorful, Cthulhu-covered custom Fun Pack Box!

It’s free to enter.
_ _ _ _ _

I got the coloring book (and sticker sheet) through their Kickstarter.  [And full disclosure: I get an extra entry for this if you enter via that link.]
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 02:01:45 PM by LucasM »
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, read this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline LucasM

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked:
« Reply #18596 on: April 20, 2017, 11:46:19 PM »
My dad called a little bit ago and left a message on my answering machine that my mother just died.  Just a month and a couple days shy of what would have been her 92nd birthday.

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked:
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #18597 on: April 21, 2017, 01:26:15 AM »
Sorry for your loss
FINE

Offline RVR II

• Samurai Cop
  • Liked:
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #18598 on: April 21, 2017, 04:45:16 AM »
Sorry for your loss.  :( She lived a long life.
I'm still reeling from the loss of my wife but trying to keep moving forward day by day

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Liked:
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #18599 on: April 21, 2017, 07:04:47 AM »
Condolences for your loss LucasM. 

My dad died shy of his 80th, strange how we think of that kind of stuff, as if it would have been different somehow if they had passed away after that date.