Author Topic: Completely Random Thoughts  (Read 1786007 times)

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2641
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
Re: Completely Random Thoughts
« Reply #11640 on: August 11, 2014, 10:30:19 AM »
This is starting to sound like something Mythbusters should test, do you die faster in the heat or the cold....

For the most extreme cases of being unprepared:

For heat being unprepared means no water, but you might be able to find shade, and you get relief at night, you should be able to survive a day without water if you sit and wait for rescue.

For cold if you don't have proper clothing and a way to start a fire you are dead, the colder it is the faster you go.  If there is a snow or ice storm you are probably not going to be rescued in time.

Being unprepared for the cold is more stupid than forgetting water, you should always be prepared to be out of your car at the very least long enough to change a flat tire.

Marty,
      I saw on some show about survival years ago. They talked about the "rule of three," which pertains to cold weather survival.  You can survive 3 weeks without food. 3 days without water. 3 hours without shelter.

As for desert survival, it may depend on the desert. In some deserts, you can find water, like in a cactus.  But, if you are in a desert that is filled with Joshua trees, you aren't going to get water or shade from that.

I guess I should have made the "unprepared" part more clear, if you got in your car in jeans and a T-shirt, headed out and got stuck somewhere that would take hours to walk out of.  With that level of stupidity unpreparedness, you certainly have more options to survive longer in 110°F heat than in 10°F or colder cold. 

Offline Miku Fan

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 527
  • Just letting fly with a flat "douchebag"
« Reply #11641 on: August 11, 2014, 10:36:26 AM »
This is starting to sound like something Mythbusters should test, do you die faster in the heat or the cold....

For the most extreme cases of being unprepared:

For heat being unprepared means no water, but you might be able to find shade, and you get relief at night, you should be able to survive a day without water if you sit and wait for rescue.

For cold if you don't have proper clothing and a way to start a fire you are dead, the colder it is the faster you go.  If there is a snow or ice storm you are probably not going to be rescued in time.

Being unprepared for the cold is more stupid than forgetting water, you should always be prepared to be out of your car at the very least long enough to change a flat tire.

Marty,
      I saw on some show about survival years ago. They talked about the "rule of three," which pertains to cold weather survival.  You can survive 3 weeks without food. 3 days without water. 3 hours without shelter.

As for desert survival, it may depend on the desert. In some deserts, you can find water, like in a cactus.  But, if you are in a desert that is filled with Joshua trees, you aren't going to get water or shade from that.

I guess I should have made the "unprepared" part more clear, if you got in your car in jeans and a T-shirt, headed out and got stuck somewhere that would take hours to walk out of.  With that level of stupidity unpreparedness, you certainly have more options to survive longer in 110°F heat than in 10°F or colder cold.

You were clear, and I agree.  I was just making conversation about something I saw on TV.
ミクさんは世界で一番お姫さま!

Offline RandyMistie

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 116
  • Hello!
« Reply #11642 on: August 11, 2014, 10:45:11 AM »
Last winter, we had some days that went down to record lows for New Jersey, (not for Minnesota), and the wind chills were brutal.

One morning, in January, I think, I saw that my recycling bin had been blown over by the howling winds during the night. My trash was all over the neighbours lawns! I suited up as quickly as I could, and ran outside to pick up the cans and bottles. The freezing cold stunned me... as I ran around the neighbourhood my face was frozen and the cold wind tore the air out of my lungs.

It was colder than I ever remember any winter in New Jersey. Negative 13 degrees (F) according to the weather report, with wind chills in the negative 20's.

I loved it.
Hi!  I'm Randy and I'm a Riffaholic...

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2641
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #11643 on: August 11, 2014, 10:51:16 AM »
Three weeks without a burger?!? Or a burrito?!?!? I don't think I would last three hours... LOL!!!

Yes, I used to watch "Survivorman" marathons and he did shows in deserts and arctic climates. My wife and I would always shout at the screen "GET OUTTA THERE, YOU WIERDO!" He voluntarily put himself in terrible situations!

I think the worst was a Louisiana swamp. The mud beneath his feet was actually roiling with chiggers and grubs and horrors of every sort. Spiders as big as your fist. Alligators, listeria, horrible bacterium.... I still have nightmares about that episode...

I used to watch those shows a lot, and had the same reaction.  Some of those parasites are hard to get rid of, do permanent damage, and just plain give me the creeps.  I'm getting the shivers just typing about it...

Quantum Vagina

« Reply #11644 on: August 11, 2014, 11:18:19 AM »
I just applied for two jobs, and I'm pretty damned sure that this is a horrible idea.

Offline Miku Fan

• Climbed El Capitan
« Reply #11645 on: August 11, 2014, 11:23:36 AM »
I just applied for two jobs, and I'm pretty damned sure that this is a horrible idea.

Why is that a horrible idea?
ミクさんは世界で一番お姫さま!

Quantum Vagina

« Reply #11646 on: August 11, 2014, 02:14:06 PM »

Because I'm really not stable at the moment. I'm crying and feeling like crap over really stupid and random things.

Offline Sideswipe

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 2052
  • Look at me!!
« Reply #11647 on: August 11, 2014, 02:19:23 PM »
Well the good news is, just because you apply for a job doesnt mean you automatically get it.

I was bieng threated with death by wolf raping before it was cool!.

Offline Miku Fan

• Climbed El Capitan
« Reply #11648 on: August 11, 2014, 02:23:22 PM »

Because I'm really not stable at the moment. I'm crying and feeling like crap over really stupid and random things.

I'm really sorry to hear that. :'(   I read your posts on the exercise thread.  It sounds like you have a good coping plan.  Please try to have faith in yourself, and trust life to work out, even if it doesn't work out immediately.  Good things happen to good people, and you are a good person!
ミクさんは世界で一番お姫さま!

Offline Lembach

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 8272
  • Hormel Batch Master
« Reply #11649 on: August 11, 2014, 04:06:22 PM »
My doctor switched me from Sertraline (Zoloft) to Fluoxetine (Prozac) two weeks ago. Wow! What a difference. At first, she kept upping the sertraline dose towards its maximum. All it did was make me more and more zombie-like. I didn't give a fuck. I could not even motivate myself to get up and go downstairs to fix something to eat. It was horrible. Like a constant weight on my head.

The Fluoxetine though. Never felt better. I mean, I still get angry or sad - It's not a "happy drug". But I don't constantly dwell on the bad things, like I did before. It's like I would dredge up of bad memories just to punish myself.

The amount of Morrisey I listen to has decreased by at least 75%.

Offline Sideswipe

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 2052
  • Look at me!!
« Reply #11650 on: August 11, 2014, 04:08:16 PM »
That remaining 25% is still way too much.

I was bieng threated with death by wolf raping before it was cool!.

Offline Lembach

• Ephialtes
  • Hormel Batch Master
« Reply #11651 on: August 11, 2014, 04:17:26 PM »
Awww....but "This Charming Man" is such an upbeat tune.  :P

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1269
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #11652 on: August 11, 2014, 05:04:24 PM »
Gaza, ISIS, cops executing people in the US, the disgusting ultra-conservative government we have here and Robin Williams (apparently) giving up the fight with his demons... it's been some very dark times.
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline Miku Fan

• Climbed El Capitan
« Reply #11653 on: August 11, 2014, 05:07:09 PM »
My doctor switched me from Sertraline (Zoloft) to Fluoxetine (Prozac) two weeks ago. Wow! What a difference. At first, she kept upping the sertraline dose towards its maximum. All it did was make me more and more zombie-like. I didn't give a fuck. I could not even motivate myself to get up and go downstairs to fix something to eat. It was horrible. Like a constant weight on my head.

The Fluoxetine though. Never felt better. I mean, I still get angry or sad - It's not a "happy drug". But I don't constantly dwell on the bad things, like I did before. It's like I would dredge up of bad memories just to punish myself.

The amount of Morrisey I listen to has decreased by at least 75%.

I hate to hear you need anti-depressants, but thrilled you found one that works!
YAY!

Oh, Lembach! The Morrisey...it must have been so hard for you! Wow.  "I wrote this song during a particularly sad point in my life...breakfast, actually." Mike as Morrisey

I'm hyper-sensitive to anti-depressants. I can't any of them.  Tried for 20 years. 
ミクさんは世界で一番お姫さま!

Offline Lembach

• Ephialtes
  • Hormel Batch Master
« Reply #11654 on: August 11, 2014, 05:22:35 PM »
I hate to hear you need anti-depressants, but thrilled you found one that works!
YAY!

Oh, Lembach! The Morrisey...it must have been so hard for you! Wow.  "I wrote this song during a particularly sad point in my life...breakfast, actually." Mike as Morrisey

I'm hyper-sensitive to anti-depressants. I can't any of them.  Tried for 20 years.

I suffer from anxiety attacks, actually.  :speechless:
But thank you.  :)

And for your enjoyment:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/XQR78U6zvGI" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/XQR78U6zvGI</a>