login

Author Topic: Completely Random Thoughts  (Read 1807592 times)

Offline Malt

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 89
Re: Completely Random Thoughts
« Reply #10260 on: February 28, 2014, 07:03:55 PM »
I just do this..

Apparently if you don't reassemble it properly it renders the cube unsolvable. A good way to sabotage someone's cube, though they'd probably notice the colors being out of proper placement.

It's Friday night and I've nothing to do, so I think I'll just play some NHL 13. (14 isn't on ps4) Random thought #2: I've been smoking way less pot which is good. I'm starting to feel human again.

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 4662
« Reply #10261 on: February 28, 2014, 07:32:06 PM »
People may remember the discussion of 'Real Steel' leading to this:

Sounds good.  In this case, I was still rather dubious on the glowing review, but from what you say, like you, the mechanical engineering part of me might enjoy it (my dad was a one-of-a-kind mech engineer problem-solver for printing presses when he was working; I used to follow him around when he'd work on things around the house to see how those things worked inside [then, often, take other things apart myself to see how they worked :)]).

That it is not autonomous robots (I agree the term 'robot' implies independent action of some sort) might make it more interesting.  From your description, it seems to me there was a Twilight Zone that used a similar premise that might have gotten about the same level of emotional depth (in 20 minutes) that this might. ;)

But yeah, occasionally I want some mindless mayhem (though - so far - never as mindless as a Transformers movie... I've never felt like I wanted to watch one of those sans riffing).  During the times I just need a mindless distraction I can let a LOT of stuff slide that I wouldn't normally.  But I think you and I have liked a few similar films, so I may be more apt to get repeat viewings from this than I was originally thinking.  Cool.

[Edit: possibly I should've put this in the Blu-ray thread... though initially I was just going to verbally roll my eyes at the review statements.  (i.e. initially I was not planning to write what ended up in the last paragraph of that initial post on this)]

I forgot to come back and give a 'review' when I'd watched it.  [If it was going to be more than a sentence or two I'd've switched it over to the blu-ray thread.]

I found the film a little too 'Over the Top' for me...  not that the concepts in it were 'too much to accept'...  but as in: during the time in the arena leading up to the final fight I expected the announcer for that climactic fight to keep announcing that it was a 'double elimination' contest, and that I expected the rich old guy who wanted the kid to keep forgetting if Hugh Jackman's character's name ended with an 's' or not. ;D
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
« Reply #10262 on: February 28, 2014, 07:33:02 PM »
Random thought #2: I've been smoking way less pot which is good. I'm starting to feel human again.

Congrats!
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2666
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #10263 on: February 28, 2014, 07:48:34 PM »
I found the film a little too 'Over the Top' for me...  not that the concepts in it were 'too much to accept'...  but as in: during the time in the arena leading up to the final fight I expected the announcer for that climactic fight to keep announcing that it was a 'double elimination' contest, and that I expected the rich old guy who wanted the kid to keep forgetting if Hugh Jackman's character's name ended with an 's' or not. ;D

Oh well, guess I'm the only one around here that enjoys it.

Did you watch the making of special features?  You might like those better than the movie, the props used were pretty amazing.

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
« Reply #10264 on: February 28, 2014, 07:59:22 PM »

Did you watch the making of special features?  You might like those better than the movie, the props used were pretty amazing.

I enjoyed it OK... it just seemed to replicate Stallone's arm-wrestling film a bit much the first time I saw it.  When I'm in the condition I've been in for a while now it takes watching something at least a couple times to make any final personal conclusions about whether I enjoy it enough to keep it in my permanent collection.

I think I watched the extras (I mean, I usually do unless I HATE a film), but memory's been so iffy the last few months I'm not sure (I've got vague flashes of - for instance - them setting up the 'mud slide' section... off of a stack of metal international/standard shipping crates[?]).

EDIT: yeah, I must have seen the extras... I remembered Jackman commenting on how easy it was to work when they had these massive screen-ready 8'+ robot models just lining set corridors and such.  They were pretty amazing.  I certainly hope when there's that much work that goes into life-size props that someone, somewhere, is keeping them.  To destroy stuff like that would be such a waste.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 08:02:11 PM by LucasM »

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2666
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #10265 on: February 28, 2014, 08:12:50 PM »
I've never seen Over The Top, not even for the Rifftrax.

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1547
« Reply #10266 on: February 28, 2014, 08:26:17 PM »
There's no thread of it's own yet so I'll post it here:

My dad sells Hormel pretty much all of their packaging equipment, and a lot of their paper products for all of their plants throughout the US.  He has a couple other customers, but the big one is Hormel.  I grew up on spam, and we'd take their beef stew camping because you could boil the plastic containers in a pot.  Spam isn't bad if you mix it with other stuff, but I can't have spam sandwiches anymore.  Had way too many as a kid.

Anyway, I can't wait for my dad to watch the new Rifftrax short.  The movie was made before he was selling them packaging, but I'm sure he's replaced a lot of the packaging machines in that video with newer ones.  I bet he'll get a big kick out it.  Though I doubt his buddies at Hormel would like it.  Mike, Kevin and Bill are a little harsh on Hormel (and rightfully so for the most part.  A lot of their food is pretty generic and awful in my opinion.)

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
« Reply #10267 on: February 28, 2014, 08:27:22 PM »

Oh, I wish I was in your shoes! ;D  I was just thinking about it more, and had just thought that that is one of those films I wish I could un-see.  [It is one of the maybe dozen mp3-based RiffTrax where I can't stand the film so much I can't watch it even with the riffing.]

I think if I can even partially disconnect the parallels I noticed the first time out (possibly because my brain was down to 'pattern recognition' mode rather than able to take in new info at the point I first saw it, so that was almost all I remember of it), I will enjoy Real Steel a LOT more.

Quantum Vagina

« Reply #10268 on: February 28, 2014, 10:46:40 PM »

I LOVE Real Steel. I think it's a brilliant movie and it makes me all warm and fuzzy inside.

Offline d00hickey

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 478
  • Rohan Stan the Jelly Man
« Reply #10269 on: March 01, 2014, 01:55:59 AM »

Oh, I wish I was in your shoes! ;D  I was just thinking about it more, and had just thought that that is one of those films I wish I could un-see.  [It is one of the maybe dozen mp3-based RiffTrax where I can't stand the film so much I can't watch it even with the riffing.]

I think if I can even partially disconnect the parallels I noticed the first time out (possibly because my brain was down to 'pattern recognition' mode rather than able to take in new info at the point I first saw it, so that was almost all I remember of it), I will enjoy Real Steel a LOT more.

I watch and re watch Rifftrax nearly daily (granted I use them primarily as a sleep aid) and Over the Top is one of the few I just never put on. Besides that I rarely put on Glitter, The Fifth Element, Top Gun or Crossroads.

Offline Nobody

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 617
« Reply #10270 on: March 01, 2014, 02:22:51 AM »

I watch and re watch Rifftrax nearly daily (granted I use them primarily as a sleep aid) and Over the Top is one of the few I just never put on. Besides that I rarely put on Glitter, The Fifth Element, Top Gun or Crossroads.
None of those a favorites for me either.  Top Gun was pretty good.

Online Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2654
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #10271 on: March 01, 2014, 04:17:07 AM »
Over The Top and Crossroads are two of my favourites.
FINE

Offline Sideswipe

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 2052
  • Look at me!!
« Reply #10272 on: March 01, 2014, 07:36:20 AM »
6000 posts!

I was bieng threated with death by wolf raping before it was cool!.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3899
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #10273 on: March 01, 2014, 07:39:07 AM »
6000 posts!
Bout friggin time slacker ::)

Offline Sideswipe

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 2052
  • Look at me!!
« Reply #10274 on: March 01, 2014, 07:41:07 AM »
Not everyone has all the mountains of insight you do!

I was bieng threated with death by wolf raping before it was cool!.