login

Author Topic: Completely Random Thoughts  (Read 1791387 times)

Offline Lembach

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 8272
  • Hormel Batch Master
Re: Completely Random Thoughts
« Reply #10050 on: February 02, 2014, 04:07:41 AM »
Shake hands with danger.

...buddabudda-bud-dow-dow.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3857
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #10051 on: February 02, 2014, 04:48:52 AM »
All I wanna know is When The Hell are they gonna release Season 6 of Star Trek The Next Generation on Bluray?!
 :angry:

If you knew how much work it's taking for the remasters for each and every episode of that show (seriously; while the show was shot on film, the SFX for TNG were all video in 480i, and have to be completely re-done), you'd chill it on out.
Oh I'm not really mad (like my emoticon buddy would let you believe), and I'm aware of the work entailed for each season, but they usually had a release date of the next season not long after the previous season..
It's been nearly 2 1/2 months now since Season 5 and thought we'd have heard something by now. that's all :-\

Offline Lembach

• Ephialtes
  • Hormel Batch Master
« Reply #10052 on: February 02, 2014, 03:12:43 PM »
Last night I dreamed I was being held in a cave by Al-Qaeda and forced to fold shirts very precisely.

I need to talk to my doctor about my medication. Seriously.

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 6861
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #10053 on: February 02, 2014, 03:21:05 PM »
might as well face it, you're addicted to spuds. :-\
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline Lembach

• Ephialtes
  • Hormel Batch Master
« Reply #10054 on: February 02, 2014, 03:41:56 PM »
I like potatoes as much as the next guy, sure....

Offline d00hickey

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 478
  • Rohan Stan the Jelly Man
« Reply #10055 on: February 02, 2014, 04:47:37 PM »
Teeth is one thing, I've also had dreams where I loose limbs, they just fall off leprosy style. 

Online Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2639
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #10056 on: February 02, 2014, 05:41:02 PM »
I almost never remember my dreams. And when I do they are the most mundane things ever.
FINE

Offline Lembach

• Ephialtes
  • Hormel Batch Master
« Reply #10057 on: February 02, 2014, 05:45:30 PM »
I'm the next guy, and I don't care for them that much. They aren't worth it.

I never saw that coming.

Offline d00hickey

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 478
  • Rohan Stan the Jelly Man
« Reply #10058 on: February 02, 2014, 05:52:32 PM »
I almost never remember my dreams. And when I do they are the most mundane things ever.

I find it really sad when I hear people don't dream, my dad says he hasn't remembered a dream in over 20 years.

Interestingly enough, Gamespot's Reality Check today was about the effect of playing video games on dreams, pretty much everything he says rings true with me at least.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3IEvon92nc

(I forgot how to embed Youtube videos so just the link) 

Offline Lembach

• Ephialtes
  • Hormel Batch Master
« Reply #10059 on: February 02, 2014, 06:36:47 PM »
I pictured that same scene in my head.

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 4650
« Reply #10060 on: February 02, 2014, 06:57:35 PM »
might as well face it, you're addicted to spuds. :-\

In the '80s, that was a hit Robert Palmer tune, wasn't it?
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
« Reply #10061 on: February 02, 2014, 07:29:45 PM »
I find it really sad when I hear people don't dream, my dad says he hasn't remembered a dream in over 20 years.

The key is the last part: "hasn't remembered".  Everyone dreams, it is just whether one recalls them or not.  When people are prevented from dream sleep, they become psychotic, 'dreaming' (hallucinating) while awake [I have never read any such thing, but I would expect that anti-psychotic drugs wouldn't work for such hallucinations].

It is possible to tell oneself to not remember dreams, and one won't remember them.  Those with repeated traumatic dreams sometimes do this, but then the memories start returning more during waking states.  Others simply don't feel they can be bothered with such things and ignored them long enough that they don't remember anything from them.

On the other side, one can tell themself to remember their dreams and they will.  But it requires a bit of effort if one hasn't been doing so for a while.  One has to wake up on their own (i.e. no alarm clock shocking oneself out of sleep), and has to spend time in bed 'looking for' anything they can recall before opening their eyes and getting up.  Once one gets a toehold this way, keeping writing implement and paper bedside, and writing down what one remembers on waking (before distractions can result in the rather etherial memories from dissipating) will result in them being remembered in more detail.

After the third head injury I had the first of a few very important symbolic dreams.  That first one basically 'turned off' my desire to be dead on a daily basis that had started with the third head injury [which had been present for 5 1/2 years after that 3rd accident].  So they can have powerful results if the information in them is utilized.  Luckily I was 'listening' when that dream occurred.  [Oh, and just so I'd pay attention to that dream even more than I might otherwise, my subconscious set it up so that it occurred on my birthday (which was also the anniversary day for the first accident/head injury).  To top it off?  It was a 'sequel' to a writing exercise that I'd done for trauma therapy related to the second accident/head injury (that writing exercise being done just over eight years before the dream).]

Way TMI... (still overwhelmed [and, apparently, seizing] from intense 'life stuff').
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
« Reply #10062 on: February 02, 2014, 08:06:45 PM »
I think my teeth dream symbolizes that I've had a bad filling come out of my teeth and spent 2 hours at the dentist last week to get a temporary filling; I have another appointment next month to see if I need to have the tooth removed.

So I think my teeth falling out dream represents my teeth falling out.

I don't know what it represented in other cases.  Probably mortality, I hate mortality.

Just curious: are teeth coming in yet for your son?  A thought I had was regarding your last comment (since it was your free-association) and the rest of it, combined with the changes that take place in one's mind when one has children (e.g. [to grossly oversimplify] "I'm an 'adult' now").

The combination of a recent son changing your internal perception of yourself age-wise [child/young adult/adult/middle-age/old person continuum] (this may not have happened to any great degree with you... it varies person to person), the threat of an actual potentially-lost tooth, and your free-association of aging/mortality (with the cultural image of 'old people' losing their teeth).  So: questioning "am I 'old' now?" and thinking about mortality might be a slightly deeper interpretation.  That's along with your realization that it is also on the face of it a direct - but exaggerated - version of a possible event happening with the damaged tooth in the near future.

Those were just a few thoughts that came to me.  Possibly not a stitch of which applies to you, but that would be where my questioning of someone would've drifted before.  (I say 'drifted', because in a therapy session I wouldn't dump a bunch of ideas on someone all at once, I'd go with the most salient and see what they said and it would guide further questions.)

The only reason I went into this is because you brought it up initially, and were frustrated by its repetition.  Apologies if it is way off base.  [I just don't seem able to 'STFU' (or 'STFO'; 'O'='off'), though I really need to.]

Online Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2639
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #10063 on: February 02, 2014, 08:33:41 PM »
Since my son was born we have really gotten into the Criterion Collection - Watching a great movie at home after he's in bed is pretty much 100% of our entertainment at the moment.

Consequently, we have gotten really into Ingmar Bergman, and man oh man, start watching his films right after having a kid to just feel terrified about your mortality.
FINE

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
« Reply #10064 on: February 02, 2014, 08:51:49 PM »
Since my son was born we have really gotten into the Criterion Collection - Watching a great movie at home after he's in bed is pretty much 100% of our entertainment at the moment.

Consequently, we have gotten really into Ingmar Bergman, and man oh man, start watching his films right after having a kid to just feel terrified about your mortality.

;D

The Bergman films should have that quote on the back of each, like a Surgeon General's warning. :)