Author Topic: Completely Random Thoughts  (Read 1784819 times)

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1537
Re: Completely Random Thoughts
« Reply #9960 on: January 22, 2014, 07:35:55 PM »
Two things: groups are composed of individuals.  Vice versa makes no logical sense.

And citing families and citizenship is a major stretch, given where the conversation started.  I guess being an American citizen makes me part of a group, but that's not what Marty or myself were referring to, which would be better described as "sub-groups", which are created more to separate people than anything else. 

I didn't chose my family, so I don't see it as a group akin to considering myself an Irish-American (I don't.  I'm just an American).  Where my ancestors lived means very little to who I am and how I live my life today.

The groups a person joins, be it voluntary or involuntary, very much shape and form the way a person thinks and acts.  Therefore, an individual is composed of the groups he/she is a member of.
No, the group is composed of its members.  The individuals are "influenced" or, possibly, "shaped" by what they have learned or experienced as a result of being members of those groups.  Semantically, "composed of" is just not logical.

I learned a lot from my parents, my opinions are partially influenced by my time spent with them, but I am not my parents.  I am very much an individual, separate from and different from them.  I am not an amalgam of them other than genetically.  I certainly don't contain all of the genetic data of everyone I went to high school with, nor was I particularly influenced by the majority of those people, since I didn't even know most of them. 

Citizenship is even greater of an abstraction.  I know maybe a hundred or so of the millions of US citizens out there, yet I'm composed of them all?  That's nonsense.  I'm thinking this would make sense to me if I were a big fan of collectivism, which I'm not.

An individual being 'composed of groups' is just a more poetic way of saying 'influenced' and 'shaped', with the addition of having the listener reflect on the thought that while individuals influence groups, groups also heavily influence individuals.  The fact that the semantics were not logical was intended to provoke thought. 

Are you saying that the groups you are a part of don't influence who you are?  If you grew up in China, I highly doubt you would be so staunchly independent.

I'll just say that going back to the first comment about how humans evolved to think in groups, I'd say that's something each person needs to fight against, think for yourself and don't follow.

Then there's the whole can of worms when it comes to "pride", way to complicated for random thoughts.  And I'm in a lousy mood at the moment so can't think of any jokes to add...

Yeah, debates are never best conducted in a bad mood. 

But I'll reply to you because I don't think we ultimately disagree.  Thinking for yourself is great advice, you should definitely think things through, and don't just do something because everyone else is doing it.

But the truth is, humans don't have time to be an impartial expert at everything.  We should think for ourselves, but how do we choose what to think?  Well, that's based largely on acquiring information from groups of people we trust, while filtering out information from groups of people we don't trust.  What we choose to trust and or not trust is based largely on the groups we identify with. 

Thinking is important, but the way you think is colored by where you are from and who you identify with, which makes those groups an important part of who you are. 

Offline d00hickey

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 478
  • Rohan Stan the Jelly Man
« Reply #9961 on: January 22, 2014, 08:34:59 PM »
So.... how bout those Red Skins?

Quantum Vagina

« Reply #9962 on: January 23, 2014, 04:21:45 AM »
I was going to take the bait and be offended by your grouping people based on the color of their skin, but I decided against it.

Offline d00hickey

• Liked: 478
  • Rohan Stan the Jelly Man
« Reply #9963 on: January 23, 2014, 06:13:01 PM »
I was going to take the bait and be offended by your grouping people based on the color of their skin, but I decided against it.

Not bait, just my twisted sense of humor.

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 1272
  • Now available in non-prescription strength.
« Reply #9964 on: January 25, 2014, 06:02:32 AM »
Papa John's is running a promotion.  Buy one large pizza, get a second for 30 cents.

It seems that in order to make up for the cost of selling 30 cent pizzas, they've raised the costs of their large pizzas substantially.  Like 5 to 6 dollars a piece.  It's still a good deal if you're getting 2 pizzas, but if you only want 1, you're getting ripped off.

Quantum Vagina

« Reply #9965 on: January 25, 2014, 02:32:27 PM »
Papa John's is running a promotion.  Buy one large pizza, get a second for 30 cents.

It seems that in order to make up for the cost of selling 30 cent pizzas, they've raised the costs of their large pizzas substantially.  Like 5 to 6 dollars a piece.  It's still a good deal if you're getting 2 pizzas, but if you only want 1, you're getting ripped off.

But... but... the cost of the ingredients for a pizza is like 30 cents...

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 4641
« Reply #9966 on: January 25, 2014, 09:45:38 PM »
Saw that the film 'Real Steel' was in a (possibly) flash-sale on Amazon ($11.99 for blu/DVD).  I hadn't heard anything about the film, but thought I knew what it was referring to, so I went to Blu-ray.com and looked for their review.  It started...

"Real Steel is a movie about souls. It's about losing the soul, finding it again, lending one to a lifeless entity that shows a need for one, and ultimately reinforcing the soul's purpose in life. Real Steel is also about bonds, friendship, grit, and determination, all things inherent to man but that are here shared between man and machine with the end result being a stronger bond between man and man. ..."

And I thought... OK, when is it going to say, "Hah!  No, but seriously, it's a story of big robot fights with no substance!"?  But I read further and, surprisingly, it didn't.  ["Predictable" was a word used, but not "no substance" (which, for the record, is two words).]

So I looked further and it stars Hugh Jackman.  Now, he's not (usually) one to be in sucky films (though there are exceptions).  So I figured, "what the fuck: $11.99 for a blind buy of something that might actually be good (that got a full 5 stars for both picture and sound), I'll give it a shot."  So I ordered it.  [Also noticing that when the sale goes off again, I likely can sell it for about what I paid, even opened.   . . . "Trust in Allah . . .   but tie up your camel!" (Sinbad from Harryhausen's 'Golden Voyage of Sinbad') :)]
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline Nobody

• Liked: 617
« Reply #9967 on: January 25, 2014, 11:28:08 PM »
If that review pulled you in, I have a used DVD that is a treatise on the rise of the "entertainment culture" fueling a loss of ethics and increasing man's inhumanity to man.  It's called "The Running Man" and stars the former governor of California.

What do you think, sirs?

Offline Sideswipe

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 2052
  • Look at me!!
« Reply #9968 on: January 25, 2014, 11:41:55 PM »
Sounds like a thought provoking glimpse into the human psyche.

I was bieng threated with death by wolf raping before it was cool!.

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
« Reply #9969 on: January 26, 2014, 01:46:41 AM »
Actually, I should have said the other part of what I was thinking, it was: "and what the hell, if it is just robots fighting, Jackman may make that kind of entertaining." :)

[For the record, the first time I saw Running Man (when it first came out on home video) I thought it was worth a rental.  Not a re-watching, but once was OK to pass some time.  Jackman's quite a bit better actor than Arnold, so there's slightly better odds with this.  And like I said, I can likely resell it and get about what I paid for it when the price goes back up to its usual (which may even happen before I wake up again).]

Also: shit's hit the fan with BOTH my folks' health in the last week, so I need(ed) a potentially mindless distraction.
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2639
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #9970 on: January 26, 2014, 02:32:05 AM »
I think Reel Steel is a fun movie.  I've got it on Blu-Ray and have watched it more than once. 

And technically it's not robots fighting, it's more like rock'em sock'em robots, you've got 2 people controlling the machines in real time.  When I think "robot" I normally think some autonomous action, or at least pre-programed action.

But that review is a bit much, the best part of the movie is the stuff with the machines, the relationship stuff is mostly OK, slightly marred by some stuff that doesn't come off as realistic, but overall if you let those bits slide it's an enjoyable movie. 

Your mileage may vary, I'm sure the inventor/builder side of me makes it more enjoyable than someone looking for a realistic movie about a father and son...

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
« Reply #9971 on: January 26, 2014, 03:21:47 AM »
Sounds good.  In this case, I was still rather dubious on the glowing review, but from what you say, like you, the mechanical engineering part of me might enjoy it (my dad was a one-of-a-kind mech engineer problem-solver for printing presses when he was working; I used to follow him around when he'd work on things around the house to see how those things worked inside [then, often, take other things apart myself to see how they worked :)]).

That it is not autonomous robots (I agree the term 'robot' implies independent action of some sort) might make it more interesting.  From your description, it seems to me there was a Twilight Zone that used a similar premise that might have gotten about the same level of emotional depth (in 20 minutes) that this might. ;)

But yeah, occasionally I want some mindless mayhem (though - so far - never as mindless as a Transformers movie... I've never felt like I wanted to watch one of those sans riffing).  During the times I just need a mindless distraction I can let a LOT of stuff slide that I wouldn't normally.  But I think you and I have liked a few similar films, so I may be more apt to get repeat viewings from this than I was originally thinking.  Cool.

[Edit: possibly I should've put this in the Blu-ray thread... though initially I was just going to verbally roll my eyes at the review statements.  (i.e. initially I was not planning to write what ended up in the last paragraph of that initial post on this)]
« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 03:24:14 AM by LucasM »

Offline Nobody

• Liked: 617
« Reply #9972 on: January 26, 2014, 03:29:43 AM »
I haven't seen "Real Steel".  The review seemed a little overblown given the trailer I saw, so I tried to make a little fun of it.  I will probably watch it eventually too.

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
« Reply #9973 on: January 26, 2014, 03:31:57 AM »
Heck, the review seemed a bit overblown for a film written by Orson Welles or Frank Capra. ;D
« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 03:34:29 AM by LucasM »

Quantum Vagina

« Reply #9974 on: January 26, 2014, 03:34:49 AM »
I absolutely love Real Steel. I live under the idea that there's not one thing on this planet that can't be made more interesting with giant robots.