login

Author Topic: Completely Random Thoughts  (Read 1790088 times)

Offline Thrifty Version II

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 556
  • Now with 30% Less Fat!
Re: Completely Random Thoughts
« Reply #9375 on: November 23, 2013, 03:22:23 PM »
It might not have been the best idea to complain about an entire class of people based on an irrevocable and intrinsic part of themselves.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #9376 on: November 23, 2013, 03:53:11 PM »
I don't think it's completely ridiculous to find that someone sounds rude or condescending if they speak with a certain tone or accent. It's not a conscious reaction, obviously, or it wouldn't be a problem.
No, it happens however the correct question isn't "What's wrong with them?" It should be "what's wrong with me?" That is, if one is keen to assign fault.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 03:54:46 PM by Tripe »

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2383
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #9377 on: November 23, 2013, 03:54:24 PM »
I don't think it's completely ridiculous to find that someone sounds rude or condescending if they speak with a certain tone or accent. It's not a conscious reaction, obviously, or it wouldn't be a problem.
No, it happens however the correct answer isn't ;what's wrong with them?" It should be "what's wrong with me?" That is, if one is keen to assign fault.
You make a very good point, but I can't accept it after reading it in your accent.
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

UncleDesmond

« Reply #9378 on: November 23, 2013, 04:02:22 PM »
I'm gonna let QV think about what was said and get back to us.

Meanwhile....

It's that magical time of year when snow is all around and as you drive down the road, you see hundreds of pretty colored flashing lights, 'cos no-one's salted yet and two SUV's are off in the bushes.

Offline Thrifty Version II

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 556
  • Now with 30% Less Fat!
« Reply #9379 on: November 23, 2013, 04:10:55 PM »
No, it happens however the correct answer isn't ;what's wrong with them?" It should be "what's wrong with me?" That is, if one is keen to assign fault.
You make a very good point, but I can't accept it after reading it in your accent.
I wasn't gonna say anything, but now that you bring it up, doesn't the way he pronounces the words "fault" and "answer" just drive you up the walls?  Seriously Tripe, you need to look into some sort of corrective therapy for that.

Quantum Vagina

« Reply #9380 on: November 23, 2013, 04:19:23 PM »
I'm gonna let QV think about what was said and get back to us.

I've already clarified.

I'm only saying this because I've gotten thoroughly pissed at British people in the past, only to later realize that what they were saying wasn't that bad. I know it's impractical and ridiculous to tell them to stop criticizing things when it's an issue on my end, but come ON, I can't be the only one who's had this experience, can I?

I've said several times that it's not a response that's voluntary, and almost always I've recanted my anger towards them later. I'm sorry that I've offended you guys, if that's the case. I'm also sorry that when I've just watched a video or listened to a review that I consider inflammatory, I don't keep my head and am not 100% rational. Apparently if you can't do that, you're a horrible person who judges everyone else. I'm SURE none of you are guilty of getting angry about something and regretting saying it later.

I don't know what the fuck else you guys want from me. I've said it's not anyone's fault but my own. I've apologized. If you guys wanna keep berating me, go for it. I know what I said was rude, and I've owned up to that.

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2383
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #9381 on: November 23, 2013, 04:24:01 PM »
I, for one, am sorry to pile on.  I just saw the opportunity for a joke and went for it.  This is a thread full of things that shouldn't be taken seriously, and I think we can add this conversation to that list.
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Quantum Vagina

« Reply #9382 on: November 23, 2013, 04:35:56 PM »
I, for one, am sorry to pile on.  I just saw the opportunity for a joke and went for it.  This is a thread full of things that shouldn't be taken seriously, and I think we can add this conversation to that list.
If I'm missing a ton of sarcasm, I apologize, but I don't think most other people are. I'm feeling pretty attacked, and it's continuing after I apologized. I've been really emotional and frustrated lately, and so I may be missing some of the jokes directed at me. If I'm overreacting to it, I apologize AGAIN. I was just pointing out a situation that's really been getting on my nerves of late and inadvertently offended people.

Offline d00hickey

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 478
  • Rohan Stan the Jelly Man
« Reply #9383 on: November 23, 2013, 05:50:54 PM »
On the topic of accents. I always ask my "non North American" friends about their opinions of American accents. I know it's probably hard because there is a lot of different accents in America, but what are some of your "non North American" opinions of American accents (let's say West Coast accent because American movies are common everywhere). Some people have told me we sound boring, others say we sound cool.

My personal favorite accents to hear are almost always intelligent women from Spain, Ireland, and Italy.     

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5712
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #9384 on: November 23, 2013, 06:20:36 PM »
I think the best way to do a Twilight spoof would be to play it straight, with mostly the same dialog and plot, but with all the vampires being creepy Nosferatu style.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3857
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #9385 on: November 23, 2013, 06:26:29 PM »
I'm sorry.. I sometimes talk like a southern redneck.

Poligize en ad-vance :P

UncleDesmond

« Reply #9386 on: November 23, 2013, 09:23:29 PM »
If I'm missing a ton of sarcasm, I apologize, but I don't think most other people are. I'm feeling pretty attacked, and it's continuing after I apologized. I've been really emotional and frustrated lately, and so I may be missing some of the jokes directed at me. If I'm overreacting to it, I apologize AGAIN. I was just pointing out a situation that's really been getting on my nerves of late and inadvertently offended people.
Just to be clear: none of my responses to you since your original comment were intended to be humorous. And you can read that in whatever accent you like.

Offline Lembach

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 8272
  • Hormel Batch Master
« Reply #9387 on: November 23, 2013, 09:43:11 PM »
It's not your guys' fault, but your accent tends to make you sound, to my ears at least, really pompous, childish, and condescending.
Thank you for sharing your prejudice.
I'm not prejudiced... I just find the accent can be condescending a lot of the time. I'm not trying to hurt anyone's feelings, I'm just tired of overreacting to angry British people, because it makes ME feel like they're being rude and offensive, when I know they're not. The problem is a bad reaction on my end, you theirs/yours.

I share Imrahil's opinion on Australian accents.

I'll admit, British accents make me moist and I'm a straight male. I could listen to them all day. Without kissing Tripe and the good doctors' asses, I'm a bit of an Anglophile.  ;)

UncleDesmond

« Reply #9388 on: November 23, 2013, 09:53:10 PM »
QV and I have had an offline conversation, and I would like to make this my final comment on the matter.

Offline Nobody

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 617
« Reply #9389 on: November 23, 2013, 11:31:20 PM »
I speak almost nightly with an alarm rep with an amazing Aussie voice/accent combo. He should be doing VoiceOver work.

I recently developed a crush on a customer with an Irish accent that raised my temperature a few degrees.

I love accents other than those you hear in south Texas, which are mostly bland, not even Texan sounding, or tex-mex.