Author Topic: Completely Random Thoughts  (Read 1791150 times)

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 4650
Re: Completely Random Thoughts
« Reply #8415 on: September 09, 2013, 10:38:59 AM »
if someone has to physically attack you to make you do something, that person is a worthless coward.

Spanking =/= "physically attacking."  Jesus, hyperbole much?

The quote was:
My mamma whipped me....

"whipped" =/= "spanking"   No hyperbole there.
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Quantum Vagina

« Reply #8416 on: September 09, 2013, 10:57:48 AM »
In all fairness, I thought the same thing. That might just be the Kansas in me talking, though.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3857
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #8417 on: September 09, 2013, 11:01:01 AM »
From most of the customers we've had over the years, I blame the parents cause they let their kids run around our office, jump on our couch, mess with my TV and other stuff and the parents say/do nothing.
But then I speak up about their little shits then they say something and they listen for maybe 15-20 seconds and they're right back at it! Kids don't listen cause they're not punished like back in the day or as I said, the parents are too afraid of having to deal with possible legal issues.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 11:02:35 AM by RVR II »

Online Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1537
« Reply #8418 on: September 09, 2013, 11:15:42 AM »
From most of the customers we've had over the years, I blame the parents cause they let their kids run around our office, jump on our couch, mess with my TV and other stuff and the parents say/do nothing.
But then I speak up about their little shits then they say something and they listen for maybe 15-20 seconds and they're right back at it! Kids don't listen cause they're not punished like back in the day or as I said, the parents are too afraid of having to deal with possible legal issues.

Kids should be punished, and punished consistently with the same consequences for the same actions. But that punishment doesn't have to be violent. Kids can't be just as fucked up if you hit them one day for swearing and then laugh at their swearing the next day. 

Online Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #8419 on: September 09, 2013, 12:03:52 PM »
And then there's this now as well:

Study Says Yelling Is As Hurtful as Hitting
Parents Who Yell at Teens Can Increase Risk of Depression and Aggression

http://m.us.wsj.com/articles/a/SB10001424127887323623304579055302147114522?mg=reno64-wsj

Offline Mrs. Dick Courier

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1204
  • keeping an eye on the sammich since 1993
« Reply #8420 on: September 09, 2013, 01:49:06 PM »
Did you literally mean "whipped", Mrs Dick? I assumed you were using southern slang, given your predilections.

Didn't realize that was southern  thing.  But yes, whipped=spank.  Or to be even more southern, I had my butt whupped.

The worst was when mom made me go outside and get a switch for said butt whuping.
Opticians are easy on the eyes

Online Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #8421 on: September 09, 2013, 02:30:04 PM »
I'n in another situation where I've wanted something to exist for a long time, then I finally look it up and it totally exists and it's not that expensive.

Haier HLP21N 6.6-Pound Pulsator Wash with Stainless Steel Tub
http://amzn.com/B0002KXMT4

Portable washing machine I can plug into my kitchen sink. Perfect for my New York City apartment.  Then I could actually get my fiancĂ© to do my laundry.

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 4650
« Reply #8422 on: September 09, 2013, 02:53:53 PM »
I'm too mentally exhausted to address it further, but the simplest rules are:

1. If you would not have a problem with another adult doing the same thing to you in public (or if it would not be something one could press legal charges for), then you likely can do it to your kid with no psychological damage to them.

2. If you would have no problem with your child doing a particular action to other children or to adults, then you likely can do it to your child with no psychological damage to them.

3. If you would have no problem with your child doing a particular action TO YOU, then you likely can do it to your child with no psychological damage to them.

Pretty simple really: unless you treat your child with respect, there is no reason for it to respect you.  Also: fear does not equal respect.  A child who is hit fears his parents, he does not respect them (despite their arguments to the contrary).

Also, according to the literature, people who have a childhood history of abuse redefine 'abuse' so as to not include what they went through, no matter how severe their experience was.  [When I was working, I found it true of every one, not just some, and some I worked with had horrific childhoods.]  This is much like the way Congress re-draw district lines in extremely contorted ways so as to include/exclude areas likely to vote for the opposition.  The lines drawn by abuse survivors for what constitutes 'abuse' are equally as contorted.

EDIT [after 'goflyblind's 'like']:
If anyone feels that punishment such as what they think about doing to a child is a good way for a child to learn - tell your supervisor at work that you would like that treatment for yourself.  Obviously if it helps learning something for a child, the same would be true for you learning a new computer program, way of filing, whatever.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 03:01:57 PM by LucasM »
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

UncleDesmond

« Reply #8423 on: September 09, 2013, 05:12:50 PM »
It must be my age, but Miley Cyrus is starting to look like a more manly Justin Bieber.

Offline anais.butterfly

• Liked: 1382
  • Monkey Brains!
« Reply #8424 on: September 09, 2013, 05:59:57 PM »
TO agree with Lucas, I never said what I went through was abuse until about a year ago, so maybe people don't know better.

To disagree with Lucas and general compassion, people should stop breeding.
Anais is the Coolest Butterfly I know  ;D

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2639
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #8425 on: September 09, 2013, 06:47:24 PM »
My mamma whipped me, it was not abuse.  It made me a better person today.

Did she have a control? A twin sister who was raised the same way, minus the whipping? How do you know you wouldn't have been an even better person if she hadn't?

Also, it's not really a debate about the kids that 'turned out fine,' but the ones who didn't.
FINE

Offline Mrs. Dick Courier

• Liked: 1204
  • keeping an eye on the sammich since 1993
« Reply #8426 on: September 09, 2013, 07:01:52 PM »
My mamma whipped me, it was not abuse.  It made me a better person today.

Did she have a control? A twin sister who was raised the same way, minus the whipping? How do you know you wouldn't have been an even better person if she hadn't?

Also, it's not really a debate about the kids that 'turned out fine,' but the ones who didn't.

Touche

Opticians are easy on the eyes

Offline Lembach

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 8272
  • Hormel Batch Master
« Reply #8427 on: September 09, 2013, 07:25:42 PM »
If anyone feels that punishment such as what they think about doing to a child is a good way for a child to learn - tell your supervisor at work that you would like that treatment for yourself.  Obviously if it helps learning something for a child, the same would be true for you learning a new computer program, way of filing, whatever.

Unlike a child, I have the cognitive capability to realize by what social rules we conduct ourselves by in public (I'm thinking of the child that screams and makes a public display because he/she wants something that their parent won't get for them and get's spanked.). It's what a hysterical child understands. Not logic or reason.

I'm not saying it's right. That's why I have chosen not to breed. I simply do not have the patience to deal with a child on their level. If they popped out at age 10 or something, I could deal with them. Otherwise, begone.

Online Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #8428 on: September 09, 2013, 08:40:55 PM »

Unlike a child, I have the cognitive capability to realize by what social rules we conduct ourselves by in public (I'm thinking of the child that screams and makes a public display because he/she wants something that their parent won't get for them and get's spanked.). It's what a hysterical child understands. Not logic or reason.

I'm not saying it's right. That's why I have chosen not to breed. I simply do not have the patience to deal with a child on their level. If they popped out at age 10 or something, I could deal with them. Otherwise, begone.

Children past two are well aware of most social rules we live by.  Throwing a fit often isn't a lack of awareness, but a manipulation of a situation to get what they want, because they lack a lot of shame and empathy, and are selfish.  They are smart, but sometimes they just don't give a fuck.

Children understand social rules, and are absolutely capable of being taught to follow them.  The two year olds my fiance nanny's for understand so much more than just pain.  If they still feel like throwing a fit, it's not that difficult to distract them.  They forget quickly. 

Unless they are tired.  Then all bets are off, and they need to get some sleep.  But what, hitting a kid because they are tired is ok?  It's not like it was the kids choice to stay out past nap time at the store.

Quantum Vagina

« Reply #8429 on: September 09, 2013, 09:34:44 PM »
Children are selfish, annoying and all around a pain, in my opinion. I love the Louis C.K. bit where he's talking about his 5 year old annoying him while he was dragging his kids through a large crowd of people. You will NEVER hear a 5 year old say, "No, that's ok, I'll wait. Finish what you were up to."