Author Topic: Completely Random Thoughts  (Read 1786027 times)

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 260
Re: Completely Random Thoughts
« Reply #19905 on: June 29, 2019, 04:18:36 PM »
Grulled chicken breasts stuffed with feta, spinach, and pesto and grilled multi colored carrots turned out great.

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #19906 on: June 29, 2019, 05:01:54 PM »
There have been multiple reports of a kangaroo seen around town, but no area zoos or wildlife sancuaries have reported one missing.

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #19907 on: June 29, 2019, 08:31:57 PM »
Watching ESPN. Scrawl states Haiti beat Canada 3 to 2 in the Gold Cup. I have absolutely no idea what sport the Gold Cup is. Guessing it's not hockey.

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 6861
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #19908 on: July 01, 2019, 08:06:21 AM »
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3857
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #19909 on: July 02, 2019, 07:37:45 AM »
This guy comes into the small post office I'm working at needing to use the phone cause his land line is not working. .
He tells me he refuses to get a cell phone, doesn't have cable TV nor Internet because he doesn't want to pay for all that stuff. .
So when you lose your only means of contacting someone outside your home fails you have to bother others to make phone calls ???
There's some back woods folks around here ::)

And then a lady comes in wanting 4 specialty stamps that can only be sold in complete sheets that cant be broken up so she complains then leaves.. Another lady brings in some figs from her house and begins preaching about the gospel, another guy wants to ship 3 boxes to Afghanistan but I don't have the technology in this small post office to ship them out properly.. All in a 30 minute time span :-[
« Last Edit: July 02, 2019, 09:14:09 AM by RVR II »

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 562
  • "The name's Apple, Tim Apple"
« Reply #19910 on: July 03, 2019, 08:27:21 PM »
You know, it's a really sad world we live in when idiots will verbally threaten or try to pick a fight with you just because you politely asked them to be quiet during the film then reported them to management. Seriously.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3857
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #19911 on: July 04, 2019, 05:53:54 PM »
Goofs shooting off fireworks around my place tonight..
Luckily we had a heavy rainstorm this afternoon so chances of them starting a fire form stray fireworks is extremely low, but since I have to work tomorrow I'll need to hit the sleeping medicine to hopefully drown out all the noise tonight :-[

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2641
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #19912 on: July 04, 2019, 05:59:22 PM »
It does suck for people that have to work tomorrow.

I'm about to start lighting up about $140 worth of roman candles and fountains, didn't get anything loud this year, the aerial displays look pretty but they are a lot of money for a few seconds of fun.  I'll probably get an hour of pretty colored sparks for what I spent.

From the sound of it people spent a fortune around here on the big stuff....

Online The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 4467
« Reply #19913 on: July 05, 2019, 06:49:14 PM »
There should be a font called Horatio Sans.

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1537
« Reply #19914 on: July 08, 2019, 06:38:17 PM »
Capitalism is by no means perfect.  In some respects it encourages people to take advantage of others.  It keeps people focused on the bottom line, and makes some ignore the well being of their employees, or even of their customers. 

But there's one phrase associated with capitalism that I love. "Fuck you, pay me."  It's so beautiful.  Sure, the quote originated from Goodfellas to represent that exact lack of caring for anyone but yourself that I mentioned above.  But it can also be used as a slogan for equal rights and the labor movement, and it feels so good.  Because under capitalism, the only thing that matters should be money.

"We can only offer you 75% of what our male employees earn."  Fuck you, pay me!
"We need you to work through your lunch break."  Fuck you, pay me!
"Technically you're a subcontractor so we don't have to give you benefits." Fuck you, pay me!
"The time you spend going to the bathroom is going to eat into your productivity, and will reflect poorly on your numbers at the end of the day."  Fuck you, pay me!

We as workers should be demanding more.  And this is a great way to do it.  Capitalism shouldn't only be for mob bosses and CEOs.  The laborers have just as much right to say "Fuck you, pay me!"

Online The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 4467
« Reply #19915 on: July 08, 2019, 10:12:50 PM »
In the 80s Cannon released a series of fairytale adaptations as part of their Movie Tales line, featuring specials guests, like Christoper Walken and Craig T Nelson.  If I wanted to request them, should I do one singular post or one for each entry in the series?

Offline stansimpson

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 383
  • Show yourself! Otherwise, we'll kill some diffrum!
« Reply #19916 on: July 09, 2019, 08:47:02 AM »
Capitalism is by no means perfect.  In some respects it encourages people to take advantage of others.  It keeps people focused on the bottom line, and makes some ignore the well being of their employees, or even of their customers. 

But there's one phrase associated with capitalism that I love. "Fuck you, pay me."  It's so beautiful.  Sure, the quote originated from Goodfellas to represent that exact lack of caring for anyone but yourself that I mentioned above.  But it can also be used as a slogan for equal rights and the labor movement, and it feels so good.  Because under capitalism, the only thing that matters should be money.

"We can only offer you 75% of what our male employees earn."  Fuck you, pay me!
"We need you to work through your lunch break."  Fuck you, pay me!
"Technically you're a subcontractor so we don't have to give you benefits." Fuck you, pay me!
"The time you spend going to the bathroom is going to eat into your productivity, and will reflect poorly on your numbers at the end of the day."  Fuck you, pay me!

We as workers should be demanding more.  And this is a great way to do it.  Capitalism shouldn't only be for mob bosses and CEOs.  The laborers have just as much right to say "Fuck you, pay me!"

As much as I wholeheartedly agree (and not to be such a Debbie Downer), but the real twist to it all is that there's a ladder people are trying to climb. And if you want to climb that ladder, sometimes you have to make sacrifices to stand out above others. Real life example is what I'm going through right now. I need to set up a series of doctor's appointments. The company I work for is very small and is kind of an all-hands-on-deck situation. Getting people's schedule right is extremely difficult. While the doctor stuff is so important for my life, I also want to be careful that I'm not jeopardizing any chances of a promotion. So as much as I wanna say "f*** you, pay me," I also want to, minimally, still be employed and also be able to snag a promotion down the road. And if you think workers have rights about being fired for stuff like this, just remember that a.) if a company really wanted someone fired, they could blame it on any number of legal things, and b.) I live in Alabama which has some of the loosest laws in the country about this. Basically, you can get fired for literally almost any reason here and the company would not face any consequences (and it's just how this red state likes it).

Geez, that really went into a tangent. Haha. It's not all doom and gloom though. I have PTO, and that's what it's there for. The company I work for rarely says "no" to important things, especially when it comes to medical and family situations. They're very generous. I just really want to stand out for that promotion. Also, my family has been coming out from California a lot to visit our kid (first in his generation), and that's what I *really* want to use my PTO for. I have to be really careful with budgeting it all, y'know?

And to answer The Lurker's question, I think you should do a separate post for each.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 09:16:03 AM by stansimpson »

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #19917 on: July 09, 2019, 12:04:17 PM »
In the last movie you watched thread I gave my review of Child's Play. There is one thing I'd like to address that seems like something that more or less belongs in this thread. That is the issue of mental conditioning. For a long-ass time now, a LOT of people(mostly parents and religious conservatives) have been insisting that violence influences the behavior of impressionable children. One of the things that Child's Play seems to imply is that when Chucky is watching what appears to be one of the many Texas Chainsaw Massacre films(I didn't know which one, I still have yet to see any of them) with Andy and two of his friends, the implication is that Chucky associates the laughter of the friends at the horror movie as meaning that killing = fun.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but that's how the scene felt to me. I just am not sure it's a good idea for a horror movie to reinforce the notion that enjoying horror films automatically leads to being a serial killer. Oh yeah, and apparently Chucky can teleport, just like the Dilophosaur in Jurassic Park!

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2638
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #19918 on: July 09, 2019, 06:50:59 PM »
In the last movie you watched thread I gave my review of Child's Play. There is one thing I'd like to address that seems like something that more or less belongs in this thread. That is the issue of mental conditioning. For a long-ass time now, a LOT of people(mostly parents and religious conservatives) have been insisting that violence influences the behavior of impressionable children. One of the things that Child's Play seems to imply is that when Chucky is watching what appears to be one of the many Texas Chainsaw Massacre films(I didn't know which one, I still have yet to see any of them) with Andy and two of his friends, the implication is that Chucky associates the laughter of the friends at the horror movie as meaning that killing = fun.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but that's how the scene felt to me. I just am not sure it's a good idea for a horror movie to reinforce the notion that enjoying horror films automatically leads to being a serial killer. Oh yeah, and apparently Chucky can teleport, just like the Dilophosaur in Jurassic Park!

I assume they were commenting on this? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Child%27s_Play_(1988_film)#Controversy

But I've never seen a Child's Play movie and have zero interest, so I don't know for sure.
FINE

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #19919 on: July 10, 2019, 07:20:38 PM »
When I was a kid I had a LOT of exposure to music videos, hence making me part of the MTV generation. Billy Idol, Twisted Sister, Michael Jackson, Ray Parker Jr, Duran Duran, Ah-ha, Jefferson Starship, Grateful dead, Herbie Hancock, Hall and Oates, Olivia Newton John and Queen are just a few of the musicians I fondly remember.  Of the hundreds of videos one that I found to be really cool and memorable is the video for ZZ Top's "Legs". It's interesting that such a video that could have easily been censored or far more suggestive manages to remain pretty much PG rated while still being sexy yet empowering for women(relatively speaking anyway). By today's standards, a video like that would be considered really, REALLY tame. Of course the same cannot be said for the original version of "Girls on film" by Duran Duran…
« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 07:22:25 PM by Russoguru »