Author Topic: Completely Random Thoughts  (Read 1947057 times)

Offline anais.butterfly

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1384
  • Monkey Brains!
Re: Completely Random Thoughts
« Reply #8625 on: September 23, 2013, 05:51:05 PM »
It's a contraction that means, "all of you."  It is only used, by actual southerners, when addressing groups of people.  It is misused in print and TV by people from the north who write parts for southern characters, but who, themselves, wouldn't be caught dead south of Virginia.

Personally, I think the most offensive word in the English language is...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

But to each his own.

My least favorite word too.
Anais is the Coolest Butterfly I know  ;D

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 7302
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #8626 on: September 23, 2013, 05:52:18 PM »
It's a contraction that means, "all of you."

all of me? the steve martin movie? ???
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline anais.butterfly

• Monkey Brains!
« Reply #8627 on: September 23, 2013, 05:55:45 PM »
No, "cunt" has a lovely earthiness to it.  It also makes the great adjective "cunting."  Like "Look at this cunting asshole."

I don't understand how you get that from it. Also, consider the majority of times you have heard (and used) that word. how many times was it against a woman?

That is why I don't like the word. And the eff do you mean by "earthiness"????

Offline anais.butterfly

• Monkey Brains!
« Reply #8628 on: September 23, 2013, 06:00:12 PM »
As in it cuts through the treacle.  It's honest and straightforward.   People tiptoe around it all the time; sometimes you just need to bring out the hammer. 

And I dunno. How many times have you called a man a "dick"?

Preferrio pendejo.

Is dick anywhere near as offensive as the "c" word? (I want the rest of the thread to respond, we know your opinion, Im).

On a similar note, the word for "C" in Czech is so offensive, it will stop all conversation in a room. I have seen this happen.

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3235
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #8629 on: September 23, 2013, 06:05:45 PM »
The C word is used much more lightly in Australia. I would can be used in a very joking, friendly way in a lot of circles. A popular phrase:

Has NO basis in misogyny, for example.

I DO think however, that the word is probably more often than not used in a misogynistic way and is a pretty bad word.
FINE

Offline Thrifty Version II

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 556
  • Now with 30% Less Fat!
« Reply #8630 on: September 23, 2013, 06:09:11 PM »
I don't want to break the night-before-christmas-anticipation flow of the official Breaking Bad thread, and my question isn't really about the show, so I'll post this here:

I've never seen Breaking Bad, and probably never will. (Just not my cup of tea.) What does the title mean? To quote Lisa Simpson, I know those words, but that sentence makes no sense to me. The concept of breaking an adjective has been bugging me for 5 years, now, and I need to resolve this little tic in my head whenever I see the title. Is it just to satisfy the periodic table thing in the show's logo? Is it some sort of slang phrase I've never heard of? Some meaningful combination of words that make more sense as the show progresses?

Breaking isn't an adjective in this sense.  To "Break Bad" means to turn to a life of crime after being a law abiding citizen for years.  The show's title is just a different tense of that.

Quantum Vagina

« Reply #8631 on: September 23, 2013, 06:34:48 PM »
I think it's a magnificent double standard we have going, where it's more offensive to call someone a cunt than it is to call someone a dick. They're both not fantastic, because you're reducing someone to their genitals. That said, I use both, and all offensive words, just because I enjoy them. I personally think vulgarities are one of the most eloquent forms of speech.

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 5033
« Reply #8632 on: September 23, 2013, 06:50:35 PM »
Is dick anywhere near as offensive as the "c" word? (I want the rest of the thread to respond, we know your opinion, Im).

I don't think any term for the male genitalia is considered as offensive as 'the 'c' word'.  Every one of the slang words for male genitalia that I am aware of is used by males to 'happily' or proudly refer to their own equipment (in addition to refering to other males as being).  While there are some women that will refer to their own genitals as 'c*nt', from what I have heard and read, it appears it is a small number.

The sexual feminist Betty Dodson, in her book 'Liberating Masturbation' had a chapter title (or else the content of the chapter focused on [it's been decades since I read it]), "Becoming Cunt Positive" in which she describes the process of females learning to love their genitalia (both their own personal genitalia, and liking the variety present in their gender's genitalia).  She used the chapter (and her book) as a way to help reduce the shame most women are put through while growing up for what lies between their legs.  I believe she also tried to desensitize readers to the terms used for it all as well.

While generally there aren't words that I find offensive (to me, language is language), there are two words I have to exert conscious effort to use in even a didactic exchange because I am aware of how offensive many find them: one is c*nt, the other is n*gg*r... the latter being virtually impossible for me to get myself to say out loud at any time.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 07:43:48 PM by LucasM »
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #8633 on: September 23, 2013, 07:00:14 PM »
What's wrong with saying nagger?

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #8634 on: September 23, 2013, 07:01:17 PM »
The C word is used much more lightly in Australia. I would can be used in a very joking, friendly way in a lot of circles. A popular phrase:

Has NO basis in misogyny, for example.

I DO think however, that the word is probably more often than not used in a misogynistic way and is a pretty bad word.
That's a Commonwealth thing really, this is pretty much sums up my relationship with the word. I'd never use it a a word for a woman, a part of a woman possibly.

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1777
« Reply #8635 on: September 23, 2013, 07:03:36 PM »
While generally there aren't words that I find offensive (to me, language is language), there are two words I have to exert conscious effort to use in even a didactic exchange because I am aware of how offensive many find them: one is c*nt, the other is n*gg*r... the latter being virtually impossible for me to get myself to say out loud at any time.

I had the opposite problem with the C word for a while, and I have no idea why.  I don't hate it, but I'm not comfortable with the word.  I would be mortified if I said it in public.  But somehow I started using the C word as an exclamation where one would normally say fuck or damn it, usually when suddenly angry or hurt.  It took me a while to train myself not to say it, which was hard because it would just come out without thinking.  Still no idea why or how it got stuck in my head.  Thankfully I never said it loudly in front of anyone.  Worst was under my breath one time, but no one heard.

Though I do find the term 'cunt punt' to be amusing.  Couldn't see myself saying it out loud, but it makes me smile when I see it. 

EDIT: 

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/dngOH9G4UPw" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/dngOH9G4UPw</a>
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 07:07:06 PM by Variety of Cells »

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #8636 on: September 24, 2013, 12:28:18 PM »
So, I was watching Endeavour with Ann* and it occurred to me that I have never, not once in my entire life, called anyone "Sir". I'm addressed that way often but I've never used it as a form of address. Not even when, back in my teens, I worked in jobs where one might assume the term would often be used.

*Not sure why this brought about the realization, I suppose because it features a lot of cops in varying degree of rank talking to one another.

• Big Montana
  • Now with 30% Less Fat!
« Reply #8637 on: September 24, 2013, 12:36:37 PM »
Do people actually complain that the word "cunt" is offensive?  I agree, but.... isn't that the entire point of it?  To demean and insult a woman? 

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #8638 on: September 24, 2013, 12:41:20 PM »
isn't that the entire point of it?  To demean and insult a woman?
In the US, yes.

• Big Montana
  • Now with 30% Less Fat!
« Reply #8639 on: September 24, 2013, 12:43:39 PM »
isn't that the entire point of it?  To demean and insult a woman?
In the US, yes.
I admit, I didn't follow the entire conversation on the topic and may have missed a key point up above.