Author Topic: Completely Random Thoughts  (Read 1809116 times)

Offline Lembach

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 8272
  • Hormel Batch Master
Re: Completely Random Thoughts
« Reply #7635 on: May 19, 2013, 12:47:09 AM »
Freaking Norfolk, Virginia and their bugs. Cicadas would keep me awake with their incessant chirping. I couldn't stand them.

(I miss the lightning bugs though. Only time in my life I've ever seen them.)

Offline Space version 2.0

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 719
« Reply #7636 on: May 21, 2013, 06:50:33 AM »
No one has had claimed the license plate MST3K in New York yet. until a few minutes ago.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 06:56:51 AM by Space version 2.0 »

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
« Reply #7637 on: May 21, 2013, 09:08:56 AM »
I'd forgotten what pulling-an-all-nighter-to-finish-a-few-term-papers-the-night-before-they're-due feels like. It wasn't so bad for the first few hours, actually. Got a lovely sunrise out of it, too.

Then I had a commute up to campus where I can't actually remember half the ride, since I was too busy trying to keep from falling asleep at the wheel.

Better chug some energy drinks. Thank goodness I won't have to do this for much longer.

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 1272
  • Now available in non-prescription strength.
« Reply #7638 on: May 21, 2013, 03:12:04 PM »
I'd forgotten what pulling-an-all-nighter-to-finish-a-few-term-papers-the-night-before-they're-due feels like. It wasn't so bad for the first few hours, actually. Got a lovely sunrise out of it, too.

Then I had a commute up to campus where I can't actually remember half the ride, since I was too busy trying to keep from falling asleep at the wheel.

Better chug some energy drinks. Thank goodness I won't have to do this for much longer.

I have a term paper that's due in a month.  I finished it a few hours ago.  Even then I felt like I had been procrastinating because it was assigned a week ago.

Sometimes I feel like the opposite of a procrastinator.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5903
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #7639 on: May 21, 2013, 03:30:58 PM »

I have a term paper that's due in a month.  I finished it a few hours ago.  Even then I felt like I had been procrastinating because it was assigned a week ago.

A...concrastinator?

Offline Mrs. Dick Courier

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1204
  • keeping an eye on the sammich since 1993
« Reply #7640 on: May 21, 2013, 03:33:17 PM »
A woman comes in today, 50, but looks real good for her age.   Actually she would look good for 40 year old, she was hot OK?  She's wearing a tank the says "look at my chest when I'm talking to you"

I have to force myself to keep from looking at ther chest.  It was hell.

Opticians are easy on the eyes

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5903
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #7641 on: May 21, 2013, 03:36:57 PM »

A...concrastinator?

No. cras means "tomorrow," and pro here means "in place of," or "for".  So to procrastinate is to put something off for tomorrow.
Shouldn't some British tart be leading you into a room with a bunch of other milkmen about now?

Offline MSTJedi

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 604
  • In a not too distant future far, far away. . . .
    • Facebook
« Reply #7642 on: May 21, 2013, 03:42:16 PM »
A woman comes in today, 50, but looks real good for her age.   Actually she would look good for 40 year old, she was hot OK?  She's wearing a tank the says "look at my chest when I'm talking to you"

I have to force myself to keep from looking at ther chest.  It was hell.

Yeah, that always gets me when women wear tight shirts with writing on them. If you try to read it, you look like a perv. As a guy, anyway. Same thing with those damn sweatpants with the brand name across the butt. And now there's what I refer to as the "sparkly butt" jeans. They're just trying to get us all in trouble, I tells ya.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #7643 on: May 21, 2013, 03:47:10 PM »
So, what's a good alternative to Flickr now that it looks like a half-arse G+ clone with even less visual appeal?

Offline Lembach

• Ephialtes
  • Hormel Batch Master
« Reply #7644 on: May 22, 2013, 06:36:52 PM »

A...concrastinator?

No. cras means "tomorrow," and pro here means "in place of," or "for".  So to procrastinate is to put something off for tomorrow.

So con meaning "in opposition to" would imply concrastinator means "against tomorrow" right? As in get it done today and not tomorrow.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #7645 on: May 22, 2013, 06:56:24 PM »
I suspect "con" in the sense you're using it is probably shortened from a different preposition, contra, which means "against."
It is.

This is a fun topic where we can both chime in but I'll let you do it since its specifically focusing on your area of expertise. :)

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2654
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #7646 on: May 22, 2013, 07:00:13 PM »
You guys understand he didn't actually think the opposite of procrastinator was a concrastinator though, right?
FINE

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2654
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #7647 on: May 22, 2013, 07:02:43 PM »
By the way, I super enjoyed banning Routing Protocols.
FINE

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #7648 on: May 22, 2013, 07:06:39 PM »
You guys understand he didn't actually think the opposite of procrastinator was a concrastinator though, right?
Of course, I like talking about etymology though. :)

I'm not actually sure how one would truly construct the opposite of procrastinator however, I think it wouldn't be a neat formation though.

Offline Lembach

• Ephialtes
  • Hormel Batch Master
« Reply #7649 on: May 22, 2013, 07:11:33 PM »
By the way, I super enjoyed banning Routing Protocols.

He sent me the oddest personal message right after I captioned that thin ice picture, saying "We will be friends, you and I."

Alas... :-\