Author Topic: Completely Random Thoughts  (Read 1895517 times)

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3690
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
Re: Completely Random Thoughts
« Reply #20175 on: March 18, 2020, 01:27:49 PM »
What bothers me most about all of this craziness is that there is no actual supply shortage. Or at least there wouldn't be if we all just kept buying the same amount of things that we usually do. There's no increase in demand, except that people want to get things before everyone else gets the things. The empty shelves at the supermarket are 100% fear-generated.

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 345
« Reply #20176 on: March 18, 2020, 06:14:12 PM »
i have an idea that a cruise newfoundland-iceland-scotland-norway (either direction is fine by me) would be really interesting, but the reality is probably that it'd be terrible.
Would love to go to all of those places, but cruise would frustrate me with how short the stops at each place would be.
Newfoundland is the only place out of those that we've been and it's our favorite place to vacation. Usually spend a couple of days in St Johns and then rent a cabin on the ocean out in the middle of nowhere.

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1378
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #20177 on: March 18, 2020, 06:14:52 PM »
What bothers me most about all of this craziness is that there is no actual supply shortage. Or at least there wouldn't be if we all just kept buying the same amount of things that we usually do. There's no increase in demand, except that people want to get things before everyone else gets the things. The empty shelves at the supermarket are 100% fear-generated.

One of the things that pisses me off the most is the conservative, suburban, white Karens who are emptying shops are the same type people who are against reasonable wages for casual workers in the shops they're ransacking, public health protection, vaccines, etc.

The local paper had a headline yesterday that said something like '70% of readers support closing the borders over Coronavirus' and I'd be shocked if the number isn't close even without a pandemic
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 2911
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #20178 on: March 18, 2020, 06:35:15 PM »
I'm helping to make videos for the nursing chemistry labs that have to now be done online.  5 hours of filming, 7 hours of editing, to make about 2.5 hours of video.  I'm only doing minimal editing, just clipping and combining with a few title cards, I now have more appreciation for why it takes so long to edit shows and movies.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 4423
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #20179 on: March 18, 2020, 06:40:17 PM »
I now have more appreciation for why it takes so long to edit shows and movies.
Tell me about it :scared:

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 7111
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #20180 on: March 18, 2020, 11:47:30 PM »
i have an idea that a cruise newfoundland-iceland-scotland-norway (either direction is fine by me) would be really interesting, but the reality is probably that it'd be terrible.
Would love to go to all of those places, but cruise would frustrate me with how short the stops at each place would be.
Newfoundland is the only place out of those that we've been and it's our favorite place to vacation. Usually spend a couple of days in St Johns and then rent a cabin on the ocean out in the middle of nowhere.

my imaginary cruise involves week-long stops. st. john's is amazing, so long as you don't have terrible roommates (although, that place was super cheap).
dF = 0
d*F = J

Online Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1694
« Reply #20181 on: March 19, 2020, 01:10:39 PM »
I'm helping to make videos for the nursing chemistry labs that have to now be done online.  5 hours of filming, 7 hours of editing, to make about 2.5 hours of video.  I'm only doing minimal editing, just clipping and combining with a few title cards, I now have more appreciation for why it takes so long to edit shows and movies.

Takes a long time to film them too. For television, we shoot, on average, 6 minutes of finished show in a 12 hour day, depending on the show.  And yes, also takes a long time edit them. There‚Äôs a person on set whose job it is to mark down which takes the director likes best to try and cut down on time in the editing room.

Offline Lesbunny

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 770
  • I just kinda want to die all the time
« Reply #20182 on: March 19, 2020, 02:07:55 PM »
If y'all find yourself dealing with choice paralysis and more with streaming services, get ready for more. Kanopy is an ad free service that partners with libraries, so to use it all you need is a library card. You get 5 films a month. Great for anyone who doesn't have or can't afford other streaming services.

Offline stansimpson

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 498
  • Show yourself! Otherwise, we'll kill some diffrum!
« Reply #20183 on: March 19, 2020, 02:18:48 PM »
If y'all find yourself dealing with choice paralysis and more with streaming services, get ready for more. Kanopy is an ad free service that partners with libraries, so to use it all you need is a library card. You get 5 films a month. Great for anyone who doesn't have or can't afford other streaming services.
Check out Hoopla too. Same deal as Kanopy. Also, Shudder and some other services are giving out free discount among others:
https://www.slashfilm.com/streaming-services-discounts-coronavirus-quarantine/

Speaking of quarantine, working from home today. Really not as bad as I thought. Kinda fun actually.

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1378
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #20184 on: March 19, 2020, 10:59:13 PM »
I work for a bank and shits crazy, every second person is losing/has lost work not sure how they'll pay their mortgage
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2902
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #20185 on: March 19, 2020, 11:02:58 PM »
I work for a Government Department as a Ministerial Officer, and yeah, it's not great.
FINE

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #20186 on: March 20, 2020, 02:37:13 PM »
Governor has pretty much shut down PA, all non-life support businesses have to shut down.  Because we have a greenhouse and animals I will be able to go in for a few hours a week to keep stuff alive, but rest of the time I'll be home.

This might be the thing that forces me to create a facebook account...   :scared:

Offline Lesbunny

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 770
  • I just kinda want to die all the time
« Reply #20187 on: March 21, 2020, 08:47:32 AM »
I had a dream last night that I ate a rose for whatever reason, and then I said "Looks like I rose to this occasion!" I was so disappointed/pleased with myself that I woke up.

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 345
« Reply #20188 on: March 21, 2020, 09:50:13 AM »
Ran to Walmart for necessities. Good thing is that it was the least amount of people I've ever seen there at mid day on a Saturday. But still freaky seeing entire sections (including 95% of all frozen foods) empty. Was able to get everything I needed. Just had to buy alternatives to a few food items I would have bought if they had been in stock.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #20189 on: March 21, 2020, 03:50:40 PM »
Thought I'd see what was available on Amazon Pantry, and it was NOTHING...  Amazon closed it for "restocking".