Author Topic: Completely Random Thoughts  (Read 1730408 times)

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2569
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
Re: Completely Random Thoughts
« Reply #19875 on: May 14, 2019, 09:44:46 PM »
I've got a package being delivered by Lasership, never heard of that company before, looked it up and holy cow there are piles of complaints and bad reviews.  Hope I don't need to add to the list...

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3741
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #19876 on: May 15, 2019, 07:39:06 AM »
I've got a package being delivered by Lasership, never heard of that company before, looked it up and holy cow there are piles of complaints and bad reviews.  Hope I don't need to add to the list...
Never heard of them either and WOW their complaints are off the charts :o
Everybody is looking for the cheapest shipping method and this is the result.. Shady shippers. You get what you pay for

I've been having a fiasco with a third party seller through Amazon for 2 blinds I ordered for my new dining room windows and after nearly a week with a FedEx tracking number they still hadn't shipped them.. I contacted Amazon and they're sending me replacements that'll be here tomorrow and I have to do an intercept through FedEx to return the first pair of blinds back to the sender.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5621
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #19877 on: May 18, 2019, 01:43:47 PM »
Hollywood is still, for some reason, making the same bad movie putting a big muscular action hero having to take care of kids. The latest one has Dave Bautista. I'd like to see a parody of this trope. Where the tough agent tries to protect the kids, but due to the inherently dangerous nature of his job the kids end up getting horribly injured and killed. Make it a dark comedy.

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 485
  • "The name's Apple, Tim Apple"
« Reply #19878 on: May 18, 2019, 02:25:28 PM »
Did they learn nothing from The Tooth Fairy and The Pacifier?

Offline Lesbunny

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 466
  • Bowsette is bae
« Reply #19879 on: May 18, 2019, 02:36:49 PM »
Watching Eurovision and seeing Iceland like

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #19880 on: May 18, 2019, 05:49:33 PM »
Did they learn nothing from The Tooth Fairy and The Pacifier?
Nnnnnope!

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #19881 on: May 19, 2019, 08:25:29 PM »
The movie soundtrack LOC had me going through my vinyl records again, got curious when my copy of Dark Side Of The Moon was make, I know I got it in the 70s sometime (well, my parents got it for me since I was around 11 years old at that time...).

The scratchings in the "dead wax" area were clear enough, and since there is a webpage for just about everything these days it was easy to find a page with all the different markings found on that album. 

So, mine was made at capitol records in Virginia in September 1975, 3rd issue of the album.

Online Variety of Cells

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 1464
« Reply #19882 on: May 31, 2019, 01:56:38 PM »
Oh hey, this is strange.  Billie Eilish is pretty great.  Turns out I like a modern pop artist.  That hasen't happened... well I can't remember the last time I really enjoyed a pop artist who was big in my lifetime. 

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #19883 on: June 05, 2019, 08:47:54 AM »

No.
Theres one movie about why it's a bad idea to hire one greedy fat guy as your entire IT department.
There's one movie about why it's a bad idea to hire poachers to bring dinos to the middle of a city.
There's one movie about incredibly irresponsible parenting.
 There's one movie about why it's important to know what DNA your scientists are using to make new dinosaurs.
And one about why it's a bad idea to have dinosaurs in your basement.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #19884 on: June 06, 2019, 07:05:42 AM »
This does make me wonder why, in this series where they keep talking about how smart some of the dinosaurs are, none of them have the dinosaurs actually escaping because of their intelligence. They all rely on humans doing something stupid. The closest would be the Indominus Rex faking out the humans to get them to come in it's enclosure so it could get out the door. But there is so much stupid in what the humans do it seems like it might have escaped anyway if they had gone in for any other reason.

Offline The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 4312
« Reply #19885 on: June 06, 2019, 08:44:06 AM »
This does make me wonder why, in this series where they keep talking about how smart some of the dinosaurs are, none of them have the dinosaurs actually escaping because of their intelligence. They all rely on humans doing something stupid. The closest would be the Indominus Rex faking out the humans to get them to come in it's enclosure so it could get out the door. But there is so much stupid in what the humans do it seems like it might have escaped anyway if they had gone in for any other reason.
Not sure about the others, but the raptors in the first one did manage to figure out how to open doors on their own.

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 695
  • 5000 deaths and counting
« Reply #19886 on: June 06, 2019, 10:30:09 AM »
This does make me wonder why, in this series where they keep talking about how smart some of the dinosaurs are, none of them have the dinosaurs actually escaping because of their intelligence. They all rely on humans doing something stupid.

Yes, This, Thank You.

Nedry sabotages the park. And he could do so because he was the only person there who knew how everything worked. But in the book, they still manage to fix it... except nobody realizes the system is now running on the batteries, until the batteries die. Which is understandable because almost everyone who had any reason to know has evacuated, due to the ACTUAL HURRICANE! There is literally a perfect storm of duplicity, ignorance and stupidity. None of which suggests the dinosaurs are any smarter than the squirrels that steal food from from the bird feeder in my back yard.

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 695
  • 5000 deaths and counting
« Reply #19887 on: June 06, 2019, 11:06:20 AM »
So why does this bug me so much that I'm making a separate post about it? I have a college degree in computer science. I've been the one guy who knows how everything works. Backdoor passwords exist. I know because I've used them. But, by pure coincidence, I watched Black Mirror, season 5, episode 2 "Smithereens" last night (easily the best of season 5 BTW). "Billy Bauer" (played by Topher Grace), the founder of a fictitious social media site, says: "The one good thing about my position is that, every once in a while, I get to invoke God Mode".

Make of that what you will.

I had never clicked on this "Completely Random Thoughts" topic before, so I guess this really is completely random  :-\

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #19888 on: June 07, 2019, 10:56:51 AM »
I guess I've gotten way too spoiled by fast delivery.  I've ordered a few vintage vinyl records from the discogs marketplace over the last month and all the sellers use USPS mediamail.  Ordered from a shop that would take me about 90 minutes to drive each way and the tracking says it will be at my house on Wednesday, this would have been a perfectly fine amount of time to wait just a few years ago, but now when I order stuff if it doesn't come the next day it's a disappointment.  ;) ;D
« Last Edit: June 07, 2019, 10:58:27 AM by MartyS (Gromit) »

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 6796
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #19889 on: June 07, 2019, 12:11:11 PM »
james taylor (or someone from his marketing team) liked one of my tweets, so i'm a pretty big deal now.  8)
dF = 0
d*F = J